P&b Gambling University

mid-table

Guest Ron Burgundy
Is it just me or are HB and Ron Burgundy gay together? It seems like on every thread HB says something which Ron sucks upto, shame I had respect for Ron , but now he is apparently a raging bottle of crisps :lol::lol::lol::o !

well being gay apart would be no fun at all.

I'll give you evens that we are a couple....

A lot of people here are so narrow minded. Of course you can win from gambling. If you do win a lot of money from particular bookmakers, they cut your limits down to virtually nothing or shut your account. This is what happens. It makes sense for them because there's no point in having customers who are regularly taking money from them.

Just because you might not be able to make money from gambling, does not mean that other people can't. There are loads of different ways to gamble that can be successful. Most of my betting is done these days by being a layer on Betfair because I can't get bets on with bookmakers any more for the most part.

The guy who sticks £5000 singles on short-priced favourites could well be making a profit. It's all about identifying value, betting on 1/5 shots that should be 1/6 and so on. I did the same with tennis betting for a while.

Guest Ron Burgundy

what we really need is some rain man type expert to explain why over a reasonable amount of time the recorded form of the thing your betting on coupled with the odds system leaves you with less chance than a Baskins & Robbins concession in Antartica of turning a profit.

Wug, I do indeed have trust issues when it comes to people's gambling boasts. As I said, when these people are asked to proof their bets to back up their claims - they always have their "rare" losing week/month.

It's just liar central.

Most of my betting is done these days by being a layer on Betfair because I can't get bets on with bookmakers any more for the most part.

OK then. Proof your next 100 lays before the events, and we will see whether they turn a profit or not.

Are you game?

Guest Ron Burgundy
Wug, I do indeed have trust issues when it comes to people's gambling boasts. As I said, when these people are asked to proof their bets to back up their claims - they always have their "rare" losing week/month.

It's just liar central.

i always assumed gambling was lying to yourself anyway so lying to others must be easy.

OK hope this works, just uploaded my Betfair P&L for the past month via a screenshot. Never uploaded anything to this forum before so hope that it is readable :unsure:

This wasn't a particularly good month either but still not too bad.

post-14263-1199735300_thumb.jpg

Guest Ron Burgundy
OK hope this works, just uploaded my Betfair P&L for the past month via a screenshot. Never uploaded anything to this forum before so hope that it is readable :unsure:

so is that bets or are you basically acting as a bookie...I have placed three bets my entire life...no four and I grudged the fourth :lol::lol:

I'm acting as a bookmaker for some of them (trying to back and lay every outcome with a profit margin built in). Some of them are just bets I fancied placing. Probably about a 50/50 split. That screenshot also misses off my Australian tennis profits as Betfair have seperated the Australian and UK parts of their site :angry:

I don't do all of my betting at Betfair by any means, probably about 60%. I do American sports betting at various bookmakers. I'd love to have proofed my next 100 bets, but I place anywhere between 200-400 bets per week usually. As I said, some of the lays get taken and some don't so it's impossible to post them all up here before the event. Well not impossible I guess, but far too much work and I can't be bothered with it to be fair.

At the end of the day I'm not here for people to pat me on the back. Unlike the Betfair forum where everyone claims to win to try to boost their own ego, I'm not bothered what people think. Just trying to pass on some useful advice where possible (as I've used this forum to nick information on Scottish lower league football for ages :lol: ).

That's very impressive stuff, I'm intrigued that you bet on all 5 Scottish 1st Division matches on Saturday that probably wouldn't have been the most liquid of markets, and weren't in play.

I'd love to know your username on the betfair forum B) B) .

Back to the last page, you can make money from backing long odds-on favourites, but it comes down to staking strategy and selective punting.

If you put £100 on every 1/5 shot you will lose money, probably quite quickly, if you pick value bets and adjust your staking according to the level of perceived value then it can be done.

I mainly bet odds-on if I'm having a serious bet, but only if it's perceived value.

You've made 26 grand profit in a month?

I didn't intend to bet on the Scottish First Division so much, but I put backs and lays up for all three outcomes in all of the English and Scottish games and see what gets matched. To be fair I was a bit gutted with the Hamilton v Stirling game - I put a big lay of Hamilton up @ 1.34. Only a bit got taken, but when I looked after kick-off if I'd made it 1.35 the whole lot would've got taken. That's what happens though, you have to set your price and stick to it. I don't have time to go back and check to see what's nearly been matched because there are 60+ games starting at the same time usually. As you'll have seen, the SD1 bets didn't go too well on Saturday, but on Wednesday they made me a fortune so I can't complain.

I usually end up with anything between 25-40 bets on Saturday UK football, so this eliminates any bad/good luck usually. You've got a lot less variance on your expected return if you do this, rather than placing only one or two bets. Every bet I put up there I consider the odds are in my favour, so anything that gets matched is a good bet IMO. I can't complain too much as it seems to work pretty well.

As for the Betfair forum, I hardly ever post to be honest. I pretty much never post on the football (or soccer as they call it) forum because it's full of attention seeking idiots and people trying to slag each other off. I make the occasional post on the North American forum but that's about it. I've been to quite a few Betfair VIP days out and I've found that the big winners on Betfair tend not to post too much on the forum B)

Yeah in my Betfair UK wallet. Made a bit more in my Betfair Australian wallet and some more at other bookmakers, but probably 60% of the bets I place are at Betfair.

Do you have a pure big massive hoose, mistur?

Out of interest, if a game kicks off at 3pm on a Saturday, when would you normally put your bets up?

I've looked into early betting to try and catch the ricks before the market settles down, with mixed success.

I rarely post on the betfair forum unless I can add something to a serious thread, prefer to read and laugh mainly.

Agree wholeheartedly about the Betfair forum. There used to be some real cracking football minds on there but nowadays it is more rubbish stuff with very little insightful advice or tipping going on on it. The site is also the most crooked Poker site going imo in the way the cards come out to help or not help players when it comes to big pots/ all in's. You can almsot second guess the machine rather than play actual Poker.

Guest Ron Burgundy
I'm acting as a bookmaker for some of them (trying to back and lay every outcome with a profit margin built in). Some of them are just bets I fancied placing. Probably about a 50/50 split. That screenshot also misses off my Australian tennis profits as Betfair have seperated the Australian and UK parts of their site :angry:

I don't do all of my betting at Betfair by any means, probably about 60%. I do American sports betting at various bookmakers. I'd love to have proofed my next 100 bets, but I place anywhere between 200-400 bets per week usually. As I said, some of the lays get taken and some don't so it's impossible to post them all up here before the event. Well not impossible I guess, but far too much work and I can't be bothered with it to be fair.

At the end of the day I'm not here for people to pat me on the back. Unlike the Betfair forum where everyone claims to win to try to boost their own ego, I'm not bothered what people think. Just trying to pass on some useful advice where possible (as I've used this forum to nick information on Scottish lower league football for ages :lol: ).

what if folk paid you a retainer to post the information........ :lol::lol:

So the useful advice is be a bookie.

Also is it better to study athletics and stuff like that rather than bet on football and nags?

Edited by Ron Burgundy

I tend to put my odds up as early as possible. I'd usually look to get them up the previous Sunday for the following weekend's games. It varies from week to week to some degree though - for example over Christmas and New Year I wouldn't be putting the odds up for the weekend nearly a week in advance when there was a full set of games in midweek. You can also pick off some of the early bookmaker prices on a Tuesday or a Wednesday because some of the odds compilers don't have a clue. You get limited pretty quickly doing this, but luckily I have plenty of friends/family who can open accounts for me. My 82 year old gran was on the phone for me placing a bet last weekend :lol:

Obviously sticking your odds up early you will get picked off if you're offering a price that is out of line with the expected bookmaker prices. When I first put my odds up there aren't any bookmaker prices around usually, so there nothing to go on as a guide. I'm happy to back my judgement though, occasionally getting it a bit wrong doesn't worry me. If I end up laying a team a bit above the readily available prices later in the week, they don't tend to win anyway.

what if folk paid you a retainer to post the information........ :lol::lol:

So the useful advice is be a bookie.

Also is it better to study athletics and stuff like that rather than bet on football and nags?

Well what I would say is that you shouldn't look on Betfair as just another bookmaker. Let's just say you fancied a team to win and you thought a fair price was Evens (2.00) . If you go on Betfair and find that the price being offered is 2.02 you probably shouldn't back it, because you're paying between 2-5% commission and your edge is very small. There is nothing to stop you sticking up your bet trying to back @ 2.14 or something like that. There is every chance that someone will come along and lay it. You just have to be patient and see what happens as the market moves over time. The only downside to doing this is that if you do it for every single football market in the UK, you have to have a lot of money in your account to cover all of the potential backs and lays.

As for what to bet on, just whatever you think you can win on. I never, ever bet on horses or greyhounds because I've never followed them and I don't enjoy watching. I do bet on football and another three main sports. I follow all of these closely and keep up to speed with all of the information. If you fancy branching out into betting on another sport, you can always paper trade (ie write down the bets you would've placed but don't actually place them) to see if you can make a profit on it. Obscure sports have the advantage that the bookmakers probably don't know much about them. The problem comes if you start winning money from bookmakers on obscure sports - they'll limit you very, very quickly. The liquidity on Betfair is also likely to be poor for obscure sports and the people you are betting against are also likely to be following these sports closely.