P&b Gambling University

mid-table

Sorry Owsley, I wasn't trying to have a go or anything. The game in question (v Leyton Orient), you were quite unfortunate that Leeds didn't win. They drew 1-1, but Orient were down to 10 men after 32 minutes of the game. Most of the time Leeds would win that game, but not on that occasion. It's been shown in the few weeks since that Leeds are perhaps not quite as good as everyone thought they were.

My point is that accumulators aren't the way to go. I think that the British bookmakers are to blame for the way a lot of people bet on football. As I was saying earlier and as I'm sure everyone remembers, up until about 7 years ago you had to bet on minimum 5-folds if you included a home team in your bets. The way the betting shop coupons are setup also encourages you towards their sections lists by offering bonuses for 5, 10 or 15 correct selections. They fail to mention that their profit margins on such large accumulators are many times what the bonus is.

People over about 25 years of age started off betting on the coupons in shops so find it hard to break the habit I think. People younger than this who have grown up with internet betting from the start don't tend to bet in the same way. It's perfectly understandable that if you've always been betting in the same way, you're happy to continue doing so.

I must admit that when you could start betting singles on any matches, I continued with mainly doubles and trebles for quite some time, mainly on favourites. I did very well because I always shopped around for the best odds and did my research. The last couple of years though I've switched to singles on everything all the time. It might not seem like the most natural way to bet if you aren't used to it, but I don't think I'll place another accumulator ever again now. If I think a 1/3 shot is over-priced, I'll happily take the small win rather than looking to combine it with another one or two similarly priced selections.

With gambling, unless you enjoy some good fortune, there is no get rich quick. Yes you could win £250,000 on your 22-team £1 accumulator, but you'll probably still be trying in 20 years unless one day luck is smiling on you a great deal. Building up your profits slowly and steadily is the way to go IMO. If your judgement is decent, it should be possible to win.

Backing favourites all the time isn't the wrong thing to do as such, providing you do your research and shop around for the best price all the time.

How much do you make a year as a professional gambler?

I believe the number of people in the UK that are professionals (excluding poker players) is exceptionally small.

Edited by Hieronymous_Bosch

Guest Ron Burgundy
How much do you make a year as a professional gambler?

I believe the number of people in the UK that are professionals (excluding poker players) is exceptionally small.

He would live like a King in the Gambia :lol::lol::lol: , for a month.

He would live like a King in the Gambia :lol::lol::lol: , for a month.

I'm amused reading this when people claim the magic success story is betting very short price football singles, when yesterday was a prime example of just how many of those short priced singles inexplicably lose.

Then we are to believe that of those short priced singles, only Arsenal was (conveniently) the one any sensible short priced gambler would have got involved with! :lol: How fortunate!!

I remember seeing many a website claiming vast profits from "pro" tips. Any time their bets were verified with independent third parties, it just so happened that month they made their "first ever" loss.

Then we are to believe that of those short priced singles, only Arsenal was (conveniently) the one any sensible short priced gambler would have got involved with! :lol: How fortunate!!

If you read my post I said that it was obviously easy to say with hindsight but I didn't touch any British matches as it was cup weekend and instead bet on Real Madrid, also at 1/3.

If you read my post I said that it was obviously easy to say with hindsight

Betting is always easy with hindsight.

I don't doubt your claim, but I trust no one's betting stories unless they are proofed to a forum beforehand.

Gamblers are notorious liars. It's like the Betfair forums - they are tremendous comedy. Everyone is a winner - it's amazing there aren't bookies going into liquidation every day!

If you look at any of my posts on this (and most other folk who regularly contribute their "tips") I'll never post any winnings unless I've mentioned it beforehand.

I know what you mean, though, I generally don't pay any attention to folk who just come on and say "tenner treble paid out a ton" if they've not posted what they're taking first.

I know what you mean, though, I generally don't pay any attention to folk who just come on and say "tenner treble paid out a ton" if they've not posted what they're taking first.

Absolutely. Taking out the "jinx" possibility (:lol:) it is amazing how many people's winning streaks come to a mysterious end the minute they actually start posting their picks.

I don't believe anyone here can genuinely make a living out of gambling, unless they either have insider horse/dog knowledge or are a professional poker player.

Never gamble what you cant afford too lose, never gamble to pay your rent, never gamble to make up losses, never gamble to pay for xmas/birthday presents, never gamble all through the night online without sleeping, never max out ur credit card online gambling, never place a bet just because the return is big..... those are my tips to remember when gambling, wish I took my own advice :(

Absolutely. Taking out the "jinx" possibility (:lol:) it is amazing how many people's winning streaks come to a mysterious end the minute they actually start posting their picks.

I don't believe anyone here can genuinely make a living out of gambling, unless they either have insider horse/dog knowledge or are a professional poker player.

I worked with a guy last summer who doesn't exactly make a living from gambling as he already makes over £100k a year but probably makes about £30k a year from gambling. Obviously, he only makes this much from gambling as he has so much disposable income and regularly puts £5,000 on 1/5 shots. In fact, one time he lost £4,500 betting on Morton to beat Forfar at 2/9 (I told him it was a certainty!).

William Hills have cancelled his account as it "didn't kae business sense" for them to have him as a customer :lol:

One thing I have learned from gambling is to never bet on Liverpool as they are consistently shite and will always find a way of fucking your line

Nottingham Forest are also included in this system I have ;)

My theory was 100% correct again I see :lol:

Well, lucky for him, his profit/loss doesn't depend on what you see as a profitable strategy.

Lucky for him he isn't relying on gambling income.

In short, I don't believe him.

Why dont you find out what his short price 1/5 certainties are he is sticking £5K a pop on, and we will see how many in a row win?

Edited by Hieronymous_Bosch

Lucky for him he isn't relying on gambling income.

In short, I don't believe him.

Why dont you find out what his short price 1/5 certainties are he is sticking £5K a pop on, and we will see how many in a row win?

I tried that, say for every £100 he put on I'd put on £1 but lacked the discipline. £7 on at 1/2 when he had £700 etc. just didn't seem worth it. He forwarded on the email about Hills shutting his account, so he's not lying. I think you have trust issues.