Panic Merchants

orlandoblue

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well they've fallen to £3.20 at the moment (under £3.00 at one stage this morning).

Although I doubt they'll be taken over for as much as £6.50/£7.50 as their brand has been ruined by this and everyone knows they're desperate to sell the business.

£2.94 now. Must admit that the sharp drop this morning has left me in 2 minds.

£6.50 now does seem a bit far off and hopeful. I will give it till lunchtime and see what happens.....

It wont be much to do with the brand though - the value will be guaged on their mortgage book.

The shares are decent value and buying them now and speculating that a takeover will happen is a fair bet.

However, don't assume that you will be made a decent offer for them. Beggers won't be choosers if another insitution comes in as any offer would be likely to be accepted by long term shareholders.

Good food for thought chief. However I reckon the vast majority of people who still have shares (i.e. those who haven't already sold them) are not in a "beggars" position and so won't just accept the first piddly offer that comes along. They'll be holding on for a substantial offer to be made.

Guest Fast_Action

75k at £2.98 this morning. :thumsup2

I did not expect them to go as low as that. I have a feeling that they may yet fall further. But I reckon I shall make a few bob on this one.

Guest Fast_Action
My savings are all ready to be moved into a NR account, as they will have fantastic rates to entice new customers at no risk*.

*As I understand it 100% of the first £3K is secure, as is 90% of the next £30K.

I have had problems moving money. Their website seems to to have the capacity thanks to all these clowns taking their money. And I do not have time to wait for hours in a queue.

If anyone has success with the website, let me know.

Guest Fast_Action
Still falling. Will look again at 3pm. Slowly slowly catchy monkey

I had decided to cap it at 75k if they fell to £3. I might re-visit that later in the day.

75k at £2.98 this morning. :thumsup2

:o

Good luck to you. I wouldn't even begin to pretend I know enough about these things to be sure enough that things won't go completely tits up. (Not that i've got £75k lying around anyway).

I hope (for you) that this doesn't end up another Ratners!!

Then again, you support Clyde. :D

It should be a genuine no lose scenario for FA though.

I remember when Prudential shares fell to £2 odds and I told people it was impossible for them to go lower. You would have made a killing if you piled in then.

Guest Fast_Action
It should be a genuine no lose scenario for FA though.

I remember when Prudential shares fell to £2 odds and I told people it was impossible for them to go lower. You would have made a killing if you piled in then.

FA's biggest concern is that his wife does not know about this! He could well be dead before he himself makes a killing. :ph34r:

So what do I take home as a piece offering tonight?

Edited to say peace offering. The "piece" was obviously a freudian slip. ;)

Guest Fast_Action
A much safer bet to put your money into one of the other banks effected, like A&L or B&B.

5p up in the last 5 minutes.

I am still hoping that they fall further, but they are creeping up. £2.69 now.

5p up in the last 5 minutes.

I am still hoping that they fall further, but they are creeping up. £2.69 now.

Yeah that last 5 minutes will make up for the 900p + its down already :P

I think this is a crazy investment unless you're strategy is high risk, with of course high expected return.

The FT the other day thought this could go as low 180p. I'd estimate the shares (if the panic subsides) will be worth anything in the region of £2-£5, but a huge gamble. I hope that £75k isn't your life savings.

BTW, is there a reason you want them to fall further? Are you hoping to buy more?

The FT the other day thought this could go as low 180p. I'd estimate the shares (if the panic subsides) will be worth anything in the region of £2-£5, but a huge gamble.

Well it isn't really.

Either the shares will recover of their own accord or there will be a hostile takeover. Either way, you can't lose.

Well it isn't really.

Either the shares will recover of their own accord or there will be a hostile takeover. Either way, you can't lose.

Correct.

I have this morning registered with RBS' online sharedealing scheme, but I have not yet had my confirmation email through so I can pile a few hundred into these babies (sadly I don't have the cash reserves of FA either :( ).

Archived