Panic Merchants

orlandoblue

I see Northern Rock shares went up by 5.9% by the close of business today, to bring them to 273.25p. In real terms £1000 invested yesterday would have recouped £59. Nice.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
NR shares were £12.50 odd in January, closed at £4.38 on Friday.

I have £2k that will go into them if they hit £3.50- £4.00.

I reckon they will get taken over by the end of the year for £6.50 to £7.50 a share.

75k at £2.98 this morning. :thumsup2

I did not expect them to go as low as that. I have a feeling that they may yet fall further. But I reckon I shall make a few bob on this one.

It should be a genuine no lose scenario for FA though.

I remember when Prudential shares fell to £2 odds and I told people it was impossible for them to go lower. You would have made a killing if you piled in then.

Either the shares will recover of their own accord or there will be a hostile takeover. Either way, you can't lose.
I disagree - I don't think it is a crazy investment at all. If the panic continues, they will be taken over. It is a long term investment.
A fast (action) buck will be made here ...
Free money.
In fairness to us all, we didn't follow the usual gamblers forum trick of coming along 2 weeks after the event and saying "Look what I won".

We did tell people. Hopefully a good few will have shared in the wealth! I like no lose gambles!

I am confident they will be over £3.50 again within the next few weeks.

'No-lose' scenario, 'free money', 'no lose gambles', 'a chance to make a fast buck'

:blink: :blink:

Share price around the 110p mark.

Northern Rock have said that all bids have been below Friday's closing price. The government is talking a lot about protecting taxpayers/customers and maintaining economic stability - shareholders are barely getting a look in.

'No-lose' scenario, 'free money', 'no lose gambles', 'a chance to make a fast buck'

It didn't prove to be the scenario I hoped for (far from it) but you could still have made money. The share price increased beyond what I paid for them in the days after I bought, before it plummeted.

The shares also rose to what I paid for them a couple of weeks ago and I could have traded out even, had I needed the money.

A gamble that hasn't paid off mind you.

Guest Ron Burgundy
i'm still mighty confused...did anyone actually make money?

right once and for all can someone confirm if the carpet baggers made their killing.... I like to hear greed falling flat on it's face but am still totally unsure what went on here.

right once and for all can someone confirm if the carpet baggers made their killing....

I certainly didn't, but I didn't invest a lot to begin with.

Currently looking like getting back about 100p a share, which I paid 282.75 for.

Guest Ron Burgundy
I certainly didn't, but I didn't invest a lot to begin with.

Currently looking like getting back about 100p a share, which I paid 282.75 for.

really...f**k that i'd be going into a branch and fucking taking their furniture until I got my money back.

Wheres the dude that pummeled £75, 000 of him and his burds money in...jesus I lost a score note once and Mrs Burgundy ran a heel down my shin...that poor boy must be one testicle short of a set today.

I took a risk, and so far it hasn't paid off. But I bought them with the intention of keeping them for a few years and it was money I could use without getting in any financial trouble. That's the risk with investing.

It was indeed Fast Action. Maybe he should change his name to "No Action"? ;)

Guest Darth Vader
I wouldn't touch Northern Rock with a barge pole. They have borrowed nearly 13bn from the Bank Of England. They are a dead duck - Northern Rock only have the BoE helping them for 2 years - the vultures will wait until then.

:rolleyes:

Guest Ron Burgundy
I think that was Fast Action...

Come to think of it I haven't noticed him on here in ages!

Gawd could you imagine having to live with that...anyhing she does in the future is immdiately wiped clean by her turning round and saying "i'll fucking Northern Rock you arsehole"

I took a risk, and so far it hasn't paid off. But I bought them with the intention of keeping them for a few years and it was money I could use without getting in any financial trouble. That's the risk with investing.

It was indeed Fast Action. Maybe he should change his name to "No Action"? ;)

You win some, you lose some. Wouldn't be saying that if I had punted £75k on it though..

You had better hope a takeover deal goes through before the 5th of April 2008 (or at least the share price bumps up a fair bit) as the Indexation and Taper releifs are being abolished for Capital Gains Tax.

Edit: and the rates going up too!!

click

Two minor points.

Anyone who bought this year doesn't yet qualify for taper relief and can't ever use indexation.

And the rate for 2008/09 is going down for individuals from 22/40% to 18%.

Apart from that you are doing well.

Guest Ron Burgundy
Two minor points.

Anyone who bought this year doesn't yet qualify for taper relief and can't ever use indexation.

And the rate for 2008/09 is going down for individuals from 22/40% to 18%.

Apart from that you are doing well.

i'm gonna stick with my Super Squirrel Savers Account ..... all this share trading is well and good but I get a free pencil case and a pretty tasty 5.5% interest...put that in your bullish trading pipe and take a lungful of the fragrant monetary shag.

Archived