Panic Merchants

orlandoblue

Investing directly in shares (without having them in, say, an investment wrapper) is always high risk as it is.

Well, that completely ignores the wide variation within the stock market.

If i were to invest in a small-cap emerging market fund, my risk profile would be far greater than if i invested in a FTSE 100 tracker fund.

Likewise, shares in Northern Rock at the present time is far riskier than putting the money into more defensive stocks (e.g. Utilities, pharmaceuticals).

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

joozy, are you one of the guys from the commercials for NatWest?

"Great work on our new mortgage deal joozy!"

"Not for our customers it isn't"

"they don't know that you c**t, how about some white collar boxing fucknts"

I picture you as the one who shouts YO DUDE in the student one.

Investing directly in shares (without having them in, say, an investment wrapper) is always high risk as it is.

If you have a properly diversified portfolio its not high risk. Investing in any single share always brings a greater element of risk than if you spread the risk across companies.

Well, that completely ignores the wide variation within the stock market.

If i were to invest in a small-cap emerging market fund, my risk profile would be far greater than if i invested in a FTSE 100 tracker fund.

Likewise, shares in Northern Rock at the present time is far riskier than putting the money into more defensive stocks (e.g. Utilities, pharmaceuticals).

If you have a properly diversified portfolio its not high risk. Investing in any single share always brings a greater element of risk than if you spread the risk across companies.

Admittedly both true, I think I've misinterpreted your original post Joozy, I thought you meant that stock market investment in general was high, high risk, I see now you said Northern Rock specifically, which is fair enough.

Closed today at £273.50.

I could just about break even just now if I wanted, but I am holding onto my shares. I don't have many, and am still confident it will go back over £3.

Back to 10p up a share. Although it wasn't a quick buck in a week I was looking for, I must admit I was getting a wee bit worried (not as worried as FA though.....)

Why worry when it's not a gamble? He's enabling the economy etc, i.e. subsidising some amoral c**t's end of year bonus (see this fornight's Private Eye.)

Why worry when it's not a gamble? He's enabling the economy etc, i.e. subsidising some amoral c**t's end of year bonus (see this fornight's Private Eye.)

Oh sorry, my mistake, I didn't know that it had to be a gamble to enable worry :blink:

I wouldn't touch Northern Rock with a barge pole. They have borrowed nearly 13bn from the Bank Of England. They are a dead duck - Northern Rock only have the BoE helping them for 2 years - the vultures will wait until then.

I thought they had just secured a loan from an American Finance company at rates much lower than the ones offered by the BoE.

Archived