Panic Merchants

orlandoblue

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Fast_Action
Yes. could only get my paws on a couple of grand in time. Got 900 at 282.75.

That was a good price. We should come on in a few weeks time and share our good news stories. That will be a joy for everyone to read - a bit like reading the parable of the lucky git. ;)

That was a good price. We should come on in a few weeks time and share our good news stories. That will be a joy for everyone to read - a bit like reading the parable of the lucky git. ;)

In fairness to us all, we didn't follow the usual gamblers forum trick of coming along 2 weeks after the event and saying "Look what I won".

We did tell people. Hopefully a good few will have shared in the wealth! I like no lose gambles!

Guest Fast_Action
In fairness to us all, we didn't follow the usual gamblers forum trick of coming along 2 weeks after the event and saying "Look what I won".

We did tell people. Hopefully a good few will have shared in the wealth! I like no lose gambles!

Its not a gamble. Its an investment. You are enabling business and creating wealth.

I agree with what you say about our being up front; and I too hope that others will have shared this safe bet :oops , I mean investment.

Some of the commentary on here is unbelievably irresponsible.

All because Northern Rock shares have plummeted to c.300p from a peak of c.1200p does not automatically mean that they are going to double from the current level (or achieve anything like that).

Analysing banks is not a specialty of mine (indeed, i'm crap at it - too much on Tier 1 ratios etc.), but having read a number of broker notes and analyst comments I find little support for the thesis that this is 'free money'.

Today, Goldman Sachs downgraded Northern Rock to a 'sell' with a price target of under 300p. That is based on the maximum price they believe a buyer would be willing to pay for Northern Rock. Societe Generale have calculated that Northern Rocks tangible book value is around 370p - but even with this figure they have highlighted the downside risk. They even note some scenarios where prices could fall substantially below current levels.

Having spoken to some fund managers, they note that fair value for Northern Rock shares could be anywhere between 1p and 350p. They just don't know.

I fail to see what the day-traders on here know that professional analysts do not. That's not to say that the share price won't continue to rise, analysts have been wrong plenty of times in the past. However, it's hardly the risk-free trade being portrayed on this thread.

I fail to see what the day-traders on here know that professional analysts do not. That's not to say that the share price won't continue to rise, analysts have been wrong plenty of times in the past. However, it's hardly the risk-free trade being portrayed on this thread.

I'm sure monkeys with pins have outperformed professional analysts when picking shares to buy and sell.

Analysts also said Prudential shares could fall below £2 at one stage, which was a ludicrous suggestion, and sure enough, they climbed back to over £8 for a period.

It's all about value. The initial reaction is almost always to overreact, which leads to the price falling to a level below the instrinsic value. I considered £3 to be that mark.

The shares were always going to bounce, which made buying at the price we did sensible. In terms of a gamble, it's like getting Even money for a 4 to 1 on shot. It might still lose, but you have a great bet.

Fair play to those that did get in on the action and will make money as a result.

I'm still hoping NR bring out some excleent incentives to entice new customers in the next few months, another Barclays esque deposit £1000 for 2 months and we gve you £100 would do nicely.

Guest Fast_Action
How do you actually go about buying shares, although my money is in some, I've never actualy done it myself.

There are a few options - many banks will offer a service, for example RBS have what they call a Direct Trader Share Dealing Service, and you can do it online or over the phone.

And you will find it under investment on their website, and not gaming or gambling as some onthis thread have suggested.

We did tell people.

It could of course be that other great forum trick of saying you've done it without actually doing it :rolleyes:

Guest Fast_Action
It could of course be that other great forum trick of saying you've done it without actually doing it :rolleyes:

Why are you still Pie People Police? I thought you had chucked your toys out the pram?

Archived