Once Upom A Time In America

for years I've been trying to find out what the music is that runs through the film, pretty sure its a xylophone(maybe) piece and it appears throughout true romance also and now i've just heard it on the film ratcatcher and have spent the last 2 hours trying to track it down and its doing my tits in!!!

if anyone can help it would be much appreciated

for years I've been trying to find out what the music is that runs through the film, pretty sure its a xylophone(maybe) piece and it appears throughout true romance also and now i've just heard it on the film ratcatcher and have spent the last 2 hours trying to track it down and its doing my tits in!!!

There was a soundtrack album released, I have no idea how easy it would be to get. The music was composed by Ennio Morricone. it is rather good. :)

Ennio Morricone composed the score, as Monster said, but the bit you call "xylophone(maybe)" would be the pan pipes - a wee South American influence there.

cheers for your help academicel, i had already checked all these links and more prior to you posting them and still cant get the tune, wish i could dee dee di the music so someone might recognise it, still pretty sure it is played on a xylophone/glockenspiel/wood instrument of some sort it iisnt one of the longer pieces of music it is in short bursts mainly in the 30s scenes if memory serves me correctly

going to go out and buy the film as i seem to have lost my copy of it (thieving flatmate bassa!)

cheers for your help academicel, i had already checked all these links and more prior to you posting them and still cant get the tune, wish i could dee dee di the music so someone might recognise it, still pretty sure it is played on a xylophone/glockenspiel/wood instrument of some sort it iisnt one of the longer pieces of music it is in short bursts mainly in the 30s scenes if memory serves me correctly

going to go out and buy the film as i seem to have lost my copy of it (thieving flatmate bassa!)

Most of the music in the film is composed by Ennio Morricone, so the bit you're looking for should be on the soundtrack album (see the Amazon link).

The only exceptions are snatches of popular songs: Yesterday, Summertime and In the Still of the Night are the only ones I can remember, and I assume you can't mean them.

I've got the DVD - I'm going to have a listen to some sections (you think it's from the Prohibition era?) and see if I can pick out something on a xylophone or whatever.

I've got the DVD - I'm going to have a listen to some sections (you think it's from the Prohibition era?) and see if I can pick out something on a xylophone or whatever.

if you can you will definitely be my favourite accies supporter ever ever! and that includes fergie

Thinking about what you said, if it's in other films as well, it can't be part of Morricone's original score, it must be one of the incidental pieces.

One possibility is the music accompanying the baby-switching sequence, which is certainly mostly woodwind. It's from the overture to Rossini's La Gazza Ladra (The Thieving Magpie), and it's on YouTube.

Try this link: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JYUdixQGF0w The bit you want starts 4 minutes in ...

This has bugged me for years. I know exactly the music you're talking about, but I don't know the name of it. It's been on loads of adverts too.

If it's in other films, it's extremely unlikey to be part of Morricone's original music for the film. That leaves the other pieces, which are all credited at the end of the film (chapter 59 of the DVD).

They are (from memory of my earlier viewing, I'm not looking at it right now):

Irving Berlin's God Bless America

Cole Porter's Night and Day (not In the Still of the Night, as I mistakenly said earlier)

George Gershwin's Summertime

Paul McCartney's Yesterday

Andrea Bocelli's Amapola

and the bit of Rossini I cited in my last post.

If you don't already know these, I'm sure they're all on YouTube. It's got to be one of them.

Amapola is played by the band in the speakeasy when Noodles gets out of jail, with the melody on clarinet. It's a popular tune and will have been in "loads of adverts". That's my best guess.

It was a composer called Rachel Portman who did the score for 'Ratcatcher' and her music is featured in this clip, but it's not quite the tune (although similar)that I'm thinking of.

Well, that certainly sounds like a xylophone or vibraphone. I still can't think of any piece in OUATIA that's played on that instrument.

Of course, we can't be sure you guys both mean the same piece of music.

I think its childhood memories

by this chappie Clickster

Written by Ennio Morricone - performed by Zamfir. On the pan pipes. Like Cockeye's Song (see above).

I'd be amazed if that piece of music is in either True Romance or Ratcatcher. In True Romance, you could be mixing it up with the an excerpt from Delibes' opera Lakme - the 'Flower Duet', which used to feature in British Airways adverts, and probably lots of others.

It was a composer called Rachel Portman who did the score for 'Ratcatcher' and her music is featured in this clip, but it's not quite the tune (although similar)that I'm thinking of.

That is the instrument i would say but not the specific piece of music, sure it is played around about the scene when the young star jimmy is touching the girls knee on the wall or when he has found the house outside the city never seems to be credited on any soundtrack although i am sure it is the same piece of music that myself and halfaperson are thinking of

aaaaaaaaargh

BA advert has struck a wee chord going to look that up just now, fingers crossed

edit to say: bollocks not that tune but saved it on to my i tunes anyway to scare my nephew with

Archived