Caledonian F.c. Thread

RayBees

1333099825[/url]' post='6096731']

Aye, Kenny MacGregor, Sandy Anderson, Alan Stuart, Ritchie MacKay ...............

Good memory, impressed. The first three signed for Forres at the beginning of 1972-3 season; Ritchie MacKay joined Caley from Forres a few seasons later.

What's the chances of having this thread renamed "Dead football clubs tear stained remembrance thread"? Just so that the Rangers fans can join the Rangers of the North fans in their grief next season.

1333573681[/url]' post='6111609']

What's the chances of having this thread renamed "Dead football clubs tear stained remembrance thread"? Just so that the Rangers fans can join the Rangers of the North fans in their grief next season.

Will think about it. Cheerio.

If Caley were around today I imagine they'd be kitted out in something like the current Schalke strip. A stylish effort all round:

142070639_extra_large.jpg

I dig those striped socks.

PS - Just as I'm typing Huntelaar strikes for Schalke. Game on.

• 2 months later...

From the terrific Britain From Above website that was all over the news today, I found this picture from 1928 of Glen Albyn Distillery, the Caledonian Canal and Caley park, surrounded by fields:

SPW022141.jpg

From the terrific Britain From Above website that was all over the news today, I found this picture from 1928 of Glen Albyn Distillery, the Caledonian Canal and Caley park, surrounded by fields:

SPW022141.jpg

Cracking picture, RayBees. Dramatic changes since then! There is a similar picture on Britain from Above of Recreation Park in Alloa in 1928, also surrounded by fields. A great resource.

I found this one from 1930 as well < http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/sites/all/lib/aerofilms-images/public/scotland/SPW033830.jpg > Anybody know where the Citadel ground would have been in relation to this?

Edited by Waspie

Cracking picture, RayBees. Dramatic changes since then! There is a similar picture on Britain from Above of Recreation Park in Alloa in 1928, also surrounded by fields. A great resource.

I found this one from 1930 as well < http://www.britainfr...d/SPW033830.jpg > Anybody know where the Citadel ground would have been in relation to this?

Not sure Waspie, probably just out of shot to the left. These pictures are pretty fascinating though. I had a look at the Alloa one too.

1340664665[/url]' post='6374305']

SPW022141.jpg

Great shot, shows how much the ground changed by time I started going to Telford Street in 1968-no Howden End, different stand. Wonder what crowd a typical league game attracted at that time?

• 1 month later...

Great thread ,supported Caley since I was 6, I lived 2 mins from ground from age 11. Was able to pop home half time old dear had sandwiches and tea for me then rush back. Remember great Scottish Cup games and especially Wednesday night ones. My folks used to comment how hardy I was home in the early hours and up for my paper round before school, well when you love a club you would do anything!

Great shot, shows how much the ground changed by time I started going to Telford Street in 1968-no Howden End, different stand. Wonder what crowd a typical league game attracted at that time?

Maybe explains Clach being the more successful team pre-WWII? They played where the population was and later as Inverness expanded there were bigger populations close to Caley and Thistle's grounds so the balance of power shifted.

Maybe explains Clach being the more successful team pre-WWII? They played where the population was and later as Inverness expanded there were bigger populations close to Caley and Thistle's grounds so the balance of power shifted.

Hmmm...you might have a point there, I often wondered why Clach sort of faded away.

• 3 months later...

Great shots, how wonderful was the HowdenEnd?

Pretty perfect.

I've been informed that these pics are from the Bob Lilliman archives! Groundtastic will be posting pics of Clach park and Jags park later.

Edit: Clach Park

Kingsmills Main Stand

Kingsmills Shed

Edited by RayBees

Pretty perfect.

I've been informed that these pics are from the Bob Lilliman archives! Groundtastic will be posting pics of Clach park and Jags park later.

Edit: Clach Park

Kingsmills Main Stand

Kingsmills Shed

Great pictures. I had never seen the old stand at Grant Street and didn't realise they had another little enclosure beside it. Did the Wine Shed extend around the corner in those days or is that another small covered terrace on the other side of the stand?

Great pictures. I had never seen the old stand at Grant Street and didn't realise they had another little enclosure beside it. Did the Wine Shed extend around the corner in those days or is that another small covered terrace on the other side of the stand?

It's another terrace Waspie - separate from the Wine Shed. There were 3 stands along the side where now stands the only stand. Looked like a cricket ground. Marvellous.

Another Clach pic

One more of Kingsmills

More Caley Action - Beautiful

Edited by RayBees

It's another terrace Waspie - separate from the Wine Shed. There were 3 stands along the side where now stands the only stand. Looked like a cricket ground. Marvellous.

Another Clach pic

One more of Kingsmills

More Caley Action - Beautiful

Thanks RayBees. I had wondered about Grant Street hosting so many cup finals down the years but it must have had a really good capacity with those 3 stands on that side. The ground has fairly shrunk since then unfortunately.