Caledonian F.c. Thread

RayBees

Again apologies to RayBees and PRS for taking the thread off topic.

No need to apologise Carlos, you are only setting the record straight.

f**k me thats painfull. Also, hairstyles have moved on a lot in 14 years.

Edited by RayBees

"Again apologies to RayBees and PRS for taking the thread off topic."

Like RayBees posted. No need to apologise in the circumstances and besides, you have a much better understanding of the Caley viewpoint than most of the ICT brigade that put on the odd posting

Interesting thread; I don't think I ever saw Caley play in the Highland League, but I do remember my dad taking me to a game at Telford St in about 1972. I think it was a 3-3 draw against Inverness Thistle in some sort of cup-tie? Can anyone confirm that or is my memory playing tricks?

The only other time I was at Telford St was an Inverness Select against Rangers - finished 5-2, with Davy Johnston scoring twice. Anyone remember that game?

Interesting thread; I don't think I ever saw Caley play in the Highland League, but I do remember my dad taking me to a game at Telford St in about 1972. I think it was a 3-3 draw against Inverness Thistle in some sort of cup-tie? Can anyone confirm that or is my memory playing tricks?

The only other time I was at Telford St was an Inverness Select against Rangers - finished 5-2, with Davy Johnston scoring twice. Anyone remember that game?

The game you are referring to was a Qualifying cup tie in October 1971. A great match, best remembered for two superb goals for Caley from left winger, Gorgie Fyfe ( ironically a Jags fan), one of his goals was a 30 yarder after a run that saw him nutmeg two Jags defenders, for his second, he scored direct from a corner. Caley won the replay the following week3-0, with the Gordie Fyfe scoring again direct from a corner.

The Inverness select game, I think, was at the Clach park.

Edited by PRS

Blimey - that's some memory you have, PRS.

The Inverness select game, I think, was at the Clach park.

Mea culpa - my memory on the other hand is clearly playing tricks. I think I was sat in front of Jim Denny, Graham Fyfe and some other Ibrox superstar of yesteryear - possibly Alfie Conn (?), but I wasn't interested in getting their autographs - I only ever got 2 footballers' autographs - Chic Allan's and Geoff Hurst's.

Perhaps I can test your memory by dredging up a half-remembered headline from that era - something along the lines of "Thom and Gerry play cat and mouse with Caley" which I think referred to a gubbing off Elgin and won some sort of award? I think it was in the Highland News, but it was a long time ago...

Guest highlander
Have to say ive been reading this thread for a while now and its super.

Not sure if anyone is aware of this or it may have been mentioned before but il post the link anyway:

At 3.07 min into this video, The guy in the bottom right looks like Carlos. No!! it cant be. Ross County's very only Statto at a Thistle V Caley game ?

Great link rcfc.

Blimey - that's some memory you have, PRS.

Mea culpa - my memory on the other hand is clearly playing tricks. I think I was sat in front of Jim Denny, Graham Fyfe and some other Ibrox superstar of yesteryear - possibly Alfie Conn (?), but I wasn't interested in getting their autographs - I only ever got 2 footballers' autographs - Chic Allan's and Geoff Hurst's.

Perhaps I can test your memory by dredging up a half-remembered headline from that era - something along the lines of "Thom and Gerry play cat and mouse with Caley" which I think referred to a gubbing off Elgin and won some sort of award? I think it was in the Highland News, but it was a long time ago...

Remember the 3-3 game as it was a cracker, remember the replay as I broke my collar bone playing for my school team in the morning and instead of going to hospital, went to the game. Given that Caley won 3-0, I made the right decision. Got the hospital on the Monday

The "Thom and Gerry play Cat and Mouse with Caley" headline was in the Highlands Saturday evening paper, "The Football Times", after a Scottish Cup tie between Elgin and Caley at Borough Briggs early 1972, Elgin winning 3-1 with the headlines referring to the two Elgin strikers, Hugh Thom and Gerry Graham, who I think scored all the Elgin goals between them - funny my recall of opposition goals is not as my memory for Caley goals.

Chic Allan. What a tragedy, killed when he fell from a hotel window - trying to retrieve a sock- in the summer of 1972. He was Dave Johnstons closest friend and Dave never really regained his appetite for the game after that. In season 1969-70, they scored 101 goals between them (DJ -52, CA -49). What's your connection with Caley?

You are a Pars fan, I knew John Watson, Norrie McCathie and Jim Bowie really well and used to have a few pints with them on regular basis.

Remember the replay as I broke my collar bone playing for my school team in the morning ...What's your connection with Caley?

You are a Pars fan, I knew John Watson, Norrie McCathie and Jim Bowie really well and used to have a few pints with them on regular basis.

Roddy Macdonald didn't have anything to do with your collar-bone fracture, did he?

I started following football in Orkney in the late 60s - my family had moved there when I was 3. As we were ferryloupers, I was very aware I wasn't Orcadian, but a Fifer. So when all my school mates were fans of Celtic or Rangers (or, in the case of Jimmy Hadden, Aberdeen), I supported Dunfermline.

I loved football, and used to get Shoot! and the Football Scot - which used to feature league tables from all the leagues, junior/senior/amateur whatever; so I used to follow the fortunes of lots of teams. Caley were my Highland League team - which I followed with a bit more interest - it was a bigger league and I had relatives there. And then we moved to Inverness for a couple of years, before heading for Oban…So Caley used to be my "second team" - but I was always a Par first and foremost - that's how it is.

I spoke briefly to John John super John at the Pars Supporters Trust golf day in October - his team (bandits) beat my team (Shaggy Jenkins etc) into 2nd place - John was trying to organise an old-timers game against some boys from Amsterdam - I think he got Ziggy to play, and Ross Jack and a few other legends - Roy Barry and the Dall twins…(I guess that's another combination that you don't see too often)...

• 3 weeks later...

This thread needed a bump as its gone very quiet lately

Where are all the ex blues players these days?

I'll start it off,i took in a Muir of Ord game in the North Caledonian league a while back Big Herchie is the assistant/co manager and Davie Brennan was playing

Also had a chat over a beer with Hamish Morrison in a Dingwall pub after a Ross County game recently

Any more sightings?

This thread needed a bump as its gone very quiet lately

Where are all the ex blues players these days?

I'll start it off,i took in a Muir of Ord game in the North Caledonian league a while back Big Herchie is the assistant/co manager and Davie Brennan was playing

Also had a chat over a beer with Hamish Morrison in a Dingwall pub after a Ross County game recently

Any more sightings?

What was Hamish saying?

I always see Wad cycling around town and in the Courier winning marathons - he looks younger now than he did in the early 90s.

Also, ive seen Mike Andrew and Steve Polson at the sports centre a couple of times recently. Polson was watching when i was playing badminton and it put my concentration all off.

Always seeing Roddy Davidson too.

What was Hamish saying?

I always see Wad cycling around town and in the Courier winning marathons - he looks younger now than he did in the early 90s.

Also, ive seen Mike Andrew and Steve Polson at the sports centre a couple of times recently. Polson was watching when i was playing badminton and it put my concentration all off.

Always seeing Roddy Davidson too.

We were just talking about the old days like the Airdrie game etc Sound bloke

Wad is probably as fit now as he ever was,played amatuer football against chunkie,steve and roddie

Not many keepers can say they have saved a roddie davidson penalty so i'm there in the elite few :rolleyes:

We were just talking about the old days like the Airdrie game etc Sound bloke

Wad is probably as fit now as he ever was,played amatuer football against chunkie,steve and roddie

Not many keepers can say they have saved a roddie davidson penalty so i'm there in the elite few :rolleyes:

Now that is a claim to fame. Although cant say i remember Roddy being the penalty taker at Caley?? :ph34r:

Still my claim to fame though :rolleyes:

Granted, and i am slightly envious.

Other recent sightings: A rather pissed Mike Noble in the Peking House (?) in Castle Street. He called me "ginge" before i said "are you Mike Noble?" and he became all sheepish and left.

And, Mr Merkinch Peter Corbett at the Clach meeting on Wednesday night.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't have the Caley thread falling of the bottom of the page now can we.

Posted this on Youtube. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wE_QMNIih7A

Classic cup action from Telford St. Was that season 93-94?

Is it still record gate reciepts for a Highland League team in the cup ?

God it was a long cold wet walk back to the station that day.

Game was season 91-92.

Aye season 91-92.

My moment of fame comes after 5 minutes 18 seconds. The ginger ball boy clapping the awarding of the penalty (which looked a highly dubious decision by the way!).