Caledonian F.c. Thread

RayBees

You could maybe argue that in election to the SFL for the 94 season that Elgin might've been a more attractive proposition. A traditionally strong Highland League club, both County and Elgin had enjoyed success in recent years but undoubtedly it was controversy (ie cheating b*****ds) coupled with an impressive run for County in the Scottish Cup which put the nail in their bid. It's another 'if'. Where would the two clubs be had things gone the other way? I mean, had it not been for that perhaps Elgin's impressive Highland League history would've held sway on the decision.

If Clach had gone under in '90 I think we'd be seen very different times. I don't think the pressures would've existed for the Caley Thistle merger. At the time it was hard enough then to see why Caley would need to merge and not go it alone, surely they'd have been in an even stronger position had Clach gone under. Politics in Inverness and Scottish football are a strange beast.

I never would wish death on Clach but who knows, maybe it would've changed things. Don't get me started on politics of it all though.

Elgin definitely did have a good shout to gain entry to the league in '94 (as good as County? better maybe?) and i think The Championship That Never Was dealt a major blow to their chances. To be honest, i think they are still suffering the consequences today.

Caley going it alone in the SFL was always a dream and the guys who ran the Caley fanzine had started a petition in about 1990 to try and gain support for this. When the merger talk began more than a few Caley fans didn't really take it seriously for a long time.

In reality, there was always going to be a team from Inverness going in to the league if any team from the Highlands was getting in. If only miserable b*****ds like the Caley fans on here would show a little pride in our home town team eh? We're disgracefull.

you twats need to get over yourselves

the merger was the best thing ever to happen in inverness

Lets look at mergers from a Fife perspective - there is the likelyhood of the 4 Fife clubs playing in the second division next season. Would it not make sense for these clubs to merge on the basis that its their best opportunity to become a "force" in Scottish football? Taking your comments above, of course it would. No more walking down the Halbeath Road to see the pars as the new club would play in a purpose built stadium on the outskirts of Kirkcaldy (it is Fife's admin centre after all) and in a blue, gold and black strip, incorporating the existing clubs colours. Never mind, you could always start a DAFC memorial thread on Pie and Bovril where you could debate the merits of Alec Edwards v Istan Kozma.

How would you like that? Now go f**k yourself as you haven't got a clue what its like to see your club disappear, except perhaps to the second division.

Edited by PRS

Guest ta elite
Lets look at mergers from a Fife perspective - there is the likelyhood of the 4 Fife clubs playing in the second division next season. Would it not make sense for these clubs to merge on the basis that its their best opportunity to become a "force" in Scottish football? Taking your comments above, of course it would. No more walking down the Halbeath Road to see the pars as the new club would play in a purpose built stadium on the outskirts of Kirkcaldy (it is Fife's admin centre after all) and in a blue, gold and black strip, incorporating the existing clubs colours. Never mind, you could always start a DAFC memorial thread on Pie and Bovril where you could debate the merits of Alec Edwards v Istan Kozma.

How would you like that? Now go f**k yourself as you haven't got a clue what its like to see your club disappear, except perhaps to the second division.

:lol::lol: another in bred highland idiot

the pars will win the league next year

fifes admin centre is glenrothes you buffoon

your club is dead,deal with it

A fifer calling a highlander inbred? Now that's funny!

What a fud.

you twats need to get over yourselves

the merger was the best thing ever to happen in inverness

Actually the opening of Debenhams easily outranks it.

The championship getting stripped from Elgin did not hinder their bid for election at all. Their bid was sloppy and written in the best crayola crayon. Seriously they were every bit as badly run then as they are now and certainly did not have the foresight that the County board had. Even if the title wasn't stripped from them, the investment County had put into their ground with further promises to upgarde as well as having a tremendous Scottish Cup record in the four seasons leading upto the vote, meant we had the most professional bid that year.

It was percieved that one team from the north and one from the south would get in, and with the size of Inverness was they deserved a league side. Elgin didn't try that hard to get in. County first proposed a football academy at this time. County were always going to get in as were an Inverness team. If Thistle or Caley went alone with a sole independant entry either would have been elected. If they both put themselves forward independantly that might have made the SFL election that bit more interesting. However I doubt Thistle at that point would have done it.

So this is the response I get for trying to explain what it feels like to lose your team. As a previous poster noted, someone from Fife is not really in a position to describe anyone as being inbred in a derogatory fashion. Most of Scotland is becoming multi cultural and all the better for it. My recent visits to Fife suggest that there is less evidence of this happening there and that many would prefer to remain insular, shame.

Regards my inaccuracy re Fifes admin centre, within the context of my posting, it was not really that important. The point I was making is the loss of idfentity that takes place in a merger, its not just the name of the club that changes. The touchstones that you associate with your club also disappears, including the football ground.

Yes Caley is dead and those on here who lists "Caledonian FC" as their team on P&B are, I reckon, well aware of this. However, this is a "Caledonian FC memorial" thread, an opportunity for fans of any club to share their memories of Caley.

The Caley fans on here will talk about the past for obvious reasons, however, any critisism from a pars fan is a bit much, after all you still sing about "winning the cup in '68 and in '61", well its been a long time since Roy Barry lifted that trophy.

Having looked at your postings re Caley, I am not sure what your motives are for becoming involved in this thread. Nothing positve to say, no reasoned responses and absolutely nothing about Caley. Why bother? If you are trying to wind us up, you have failed, we're at best having a laugh at you inarticulate cliches

Yup, I'm another twat inbred highlander, but perhaps it you that needs to get a life.

Actually the opening of Debenhams easily outranks it.

The championship getting stripped from Elgin did not hinder their bid for election at all. Their bid was sloppy and written in the best crayola crayon. Seriously they were every bit as badly run then as they are now and certainly did not have the foresight that the County board had. Even if the title wasn't stripped from them, the investment County had put into their ground with further promises to upgarde as well as having a tremendous Scottish Cup record in the four seasons leading upto the vote, meant we had the most professional bid that year.

It was percieved that one team from the north and one from the south would get in, and with the size of Inverness was they deserved a league side. Elgin didn't try that hard to get in. County first proposed a football academy at this time. County were always going to get in as were an Inverness team. If Thistle or Caley went alone with a sole independant entry either would have been elected. If they both put themselves forward independantly that might have made the SFL election that bit more interesting. However I doubt Thistle at that point would have done it.

Good point(s).

By the way Carlos, you didnt answer my message about the HL stats. Did they come in handy?

Guest clacher2

..just a note to add that in the above post the word caley refers to ict and not caledonian fc, judging by the conversation i had about this thread in the caley club on thursday afternoon it gets a bit confusing for some

I thought the Tesco Extra extension was a pretty big event myself. That or G's renaming itself Luv2Luv.

since weve become a city there have been so many controversial incidents of a truly massive nature that its impossible to remember many.I vote for the deenos make over a couple of years back personally

since weve become a city there have been so many controversial incidents of a truly massive nature that its impossible to remember many.I vote for the deenos make over a couple of years back personally

The damage was already done when it became Shots. (Someone willl pip me with the Rock Garden now)