Caledonian F.c. Thread

RayBees

Just reading Highland Hundred at the moment and an interesting point in Inverness football history. 1937 sees both the end of Citadel (the 4th Inverness club) due mainly to the fact that their Shore Street ground attracts little spectators (now who in their right mind would buld a football ground in that area of town?) and a proposal from Clach that they should merge with Caley to form a new club called Inverness Celtic. The proposal is rejected by the supporters of both clubs.

Just reading Highland Hundred at the moment and an interesting point in Inverness football history. 1937 sees both the end of Citadel (the 4th Inverness club) due mainly to the fact that their Shore Street ground attracts little spectators (now who in their right mind would buld a football ground in that area of town?) and a proposal from Clach that they should merge with Caley to form a new club called Inverness Celtic. The proposal is rejected by the supporters of both clubs.

Hmmm, an early attempt at a merger, don't think it would ever work. Why would Caley have ever wanted to merge with anyone?

Hmmm, an early attempt at a merger, don't think it would ever work. Why would Caley have ever wanted to merge with anyone?

Well PRS, it seems the fans of 70 years ago asked themselves that very question and, as you would hope, dismissed it.

Just finished Bill McAllister's book "Highland Hundred" (The History of the HFL 1893-1993)and thoroughly enjoyed it. Despite the 1st half of the book being pretty much taken entirely from League AGM minutes there are many interesting stories although probably only for those who are at least slightly familiar with the Highland League. Its also useful as a guide to see how the league expanded gradually eastwards from Inverness and then eventually north to Brora and south to Fort William up until 1993

Obviously the Caley stories are my favourites, particularly the one about the club refusing to collect their first ever trophy because they would have to do so in a public house which sold 'strong drink' and also the story of club chairmen Angus Forbes who 'was reputed to regularly stand up on the team bus as it passed through Elgin and give a lecture on the greatness of Caledonian which would last till Inverness was in sight.' :lol:

I couldn't imagine fat f*cking Jim Falconer or even fatter f*ucking Norman Miller doing that - the p***ks.

' and also the story of club chairmen Angus Forbes who 'was reputed to regularly stand up on the team bus as it passed through Elgin and give a lecture on the greatness of Caledonian which would last till Inverness was in sight.' :lol:

I couldn't imagine fat f*cking Jim Falconer or even fatter f*ucking Norman Miller doing that - the p***ks.

c**ts

' and also the story of club chairmen Angus Forbes who 'was reputed to regularly stand up on the team bus as it passed through Elgin and give a lecture on the greatness of Caledonian which would last till Inverness was in sight.' :lol:

c**ts

Miller and Falconer - supposedly "great" Caley supporters so "great" they could not wait to sell us down the river into the merger. Wonder if they sensed some personal gain?

Must admit I also had a wee chuckle when I read that piece about Citadel in Highland Hundred...a club going out of business due to the exposed position of their ground then when SFL football finally arrives in Sneck 60 odd years later their ground is put in an even more exposed spot nearby :lol: . Were there more houses in the Harbour area back in those days?? Hard to see where their support would really have come from the way that area is nowadays. Clach just over the river as well. Citadel would have been my local club...surely time for a Citadel FC Memorial Thread?? Any club nicknamed the Sheeps Bags or whatever it was surely deserves a thread :P

Edited by Waspie

Must admit I also had a wee chuckle when I read that piece about Citadel in Highland Hundred...a club going out of business due to the exposed position of their ground then when SFL football finally arrives in Sneck 60 odd years later their ground is put in an even more exposed spot nearby :lol: . Were there more houses in the Harbour area back in those days?? Hard to see where their support would really have come from the way that area is nowadays. Clach just over the river as well. Citadel would have been my local club...surely time for a Citadel FC Memorial Thread?? Any club nicknamed the Sheeps Bags or whatever it was surely deserves a thread :P

I'm thinking there must've been more houses in those days down the harbour area - possibly Innes Street is whats left of what was a larger estate.

There are quite a few interesting 'what if's' thrown up by the book:

• What if Inverness Celtic had been formed
  • What if the j*ggies had gained league entry instead of Ferranti/Meadowbank
  • What if Clach went under forever in 1990

It seemed to me a little fortuitous that Thistle were put forward for SFL membership in the early seventies just because they had been champions the previous year. Especially when considering the amazing Elgin team from the 60s which had only just gone past their peak.

you twats need to get over yourselves

the merger was the best thing ever to happen in inverness

What would a twat from Dumfermline know? Absolutely fuckall obviously so do us a favour and crawl under a rock and die. And merry christmas!

you twats need to get over yourselves

the merger was the best thing ever to happen in inverness

from someone that knows all there is to know about f**k all.if i were you my main concern would be the pitiful losers you support.im not surprised at your stupidity,mind you,dunfermline fans see jim leishman as some sort of footballing messiah rather than the fool he was very quickly exposd as as the manager of inverness thistle.go f**k yourself

There are quite a few interesting 'what if's' thrown up by the book:

• What if Inverness Celtic had been formed
  • What if the j*ggies had gained league entry instead of Ferranti/Meadowbank
  • What if Clach went under forever in 1990

It seemed to me a little fortuitous that Thistle were put forward for SFL membership in the early seventies just because they had been champions the previous year. Especially when considering the amazing Elgin team from the 60s which had only just gone past their peak.

You could maybe argue that in election to the SFL for the 94 season that Elgin might've been a more attractive proposition. A traditionally strong Highland League club, both County and Elgin had enjoyed success in recent years but undoubtedly it was controversy (ie cheating b*****ds) coupled with an impressive run for County in the Scottish Cup which put the nail in their bid. It's another 'if'. Where would the two clubs be had things gone the other way? I mean, had it not been for that perhaps Elgin's impressive Highland League history would've held sway on the decision.

If Clach had gone under in '90 I think we'd be seen very different times. I don't think the pressures would've existed for the Caley Thistle merger. At the time it was hard enough then to see why Caley would need to merge and not go it alone, surely they'd have been in an even stronger position had Clach gone under. Politics in Inverness and Scottish football are a strange beast.