Caledonian F.c. Thread

RayBees

I was tempted to head into Inverness after they went 3-0 up, some of my mates did. Luckily though I stayed. When we went to the pub after the game we said something along the lines of "Unlucky lads finished 3-3 McGarry scored goal of the season in injury time for the draw". I was called a lying c**t and I should have made my story more believable! So the smart arse checked the score on his phone. Nugget.

Does anyone have the Highland Hundred and if they do do they have the County-Caley scores and scorers perhaps of the games played in County's championship years? Would be interested in the scores.

Also how does Caley's trophy haul rank up in Highland League circles, have they won the most Highland League's etc?

I don't have the Highland Hundred but i'd like to take a gander.

Caley won the Highland League 18 times which was the record up until Clach equalled it a few years back. I don't count that one though as Caley weren't around to beat them which they surely would've. So if it's ok i'll declare Caley the Champions of the World. Or at least the Highlands. No one can question my scientific method.

I'll dig out my Caley programmes when i get home and let you know the rest of the honours.

Ok Carlos, here's the rundown of Caley honours:

Highland League - 18 times winners

Scottish Qualifying Cup - 14

North of Scotland Cup - 21

Highland League Cup - 5

Bells Cup - 3

Inverness Cup - 18

I took my stats from a programme from 1990 and added trophies won up to 94 from info on the Caley Nostalgia site. I totally forgot we won the Qualifying Cup in 91-92 season.

I am certainly interested in what Caley achieved. I find it amazing really that County peaked at the right time, through history they certainly were not any bigger or better than Nairn or Forres yet they managed to build one f the greatest sides in Highland League History. I seriously douby you can beter Duff's and Grant's haul.

Cheers for saying you will look out the data.

I may be a County w**k, but by the looks of it I am more interested in Caley than the ICT fans. I think that is unbelievably sad.

I am certainly interested in what Caley achieved. I find it amazing really that County peaked at the right time, through history they certainly were not any bigger or better than Nairn or Forres yet they managed to build one f the greatest sides in Highland League History. I seriously douby you can beter Duff's and Grant's haul.

Cheers for saying you will look out the data.

I may be a County w**k, but by the looks of it I am more interested in Caley than the ICT fans. I think that is unbelievably sad.

I watched Caley from the late '60s to 1994 and would say that for most of that time County were a successful club - usually in the top four of the HL. I would consider them to be much bigger than Nairn or Forres, both in terms of success and certainly support. The game against County was always the big one for me, but maybe thats because I am from the Black Isle. County certainly had a good record against Caley, and yes, you are definitely more interesed in Caley than the ICT posters who come onto this thread to talk about...ICT, despite it being a Caley nostalgia thread.

Look guys I don't want to hijack your Thread and I really understand your feelings for the way it was but lets look at the other side of the coin and lets say the merger didn't go through and things stayed the way they were??

So here we are in 2007 and Inverness still have three teams team in the HFL, all three are struggling with crowds of 2-300 while a lot of their fans have started to attend SFL games at Ross County every second saturday, there is no Football Academy in the town, no Youth Policy and no school visits by HFL players to encourage the youngsters to get out there and kick a ball around, in fact the young of the town can't be ersed with football.

No large crowds of visiting away fans who in the winter bring lots of much needed dosh to the pubs,restaurants and B & B'S. No mention of Inverness in the sports media etc etc etc.

Yes indeed football in Inverness would be a lot better if we had stayed the way we were.

stop trying to pedal the drivel that there was no alternative to merger;caley could have done it on their own and been as successful

Finally, after a long postal strike delay, my latest and greatest Ebay purchase has arrived in the post - On a LSM issue 17 - The very final issue of the Caledonian Fanzine for those unaware. I have to say it's brilliant. Funny, intelligent, and sad in equal measures as by this point the merger was a done deal and Caley only had a couple of months of existence left.

The highlights are many: The regular and hilarious insults thrown at the Committee (Norman Miller in particular), Charlie Chistie gets merciless stick, the brilliant Editorial which sums up the merger perfectly, the slagging of the pathetic local media, and another tremendous letter from the legendary S.J. Macdonald.

Everyone involved with LSM deserves huge credit for the work they did (to borrow Sandy's catchphrase) "against all odds" in what was a horrible time during the final season.

Edited by RayBees

Finally, after a long postal strike delay, my latest and greatest Ebay purchase has arrived in the post - On a LSM issue 17 - The very final issue of the Caledonian Fanzine for those unaware. I have to say it's brilliant. Funny, intelligent, and sad in equal measures as by this point the merger was a done deal and Caley only had a couple of months of existence left.

The highlights are many: The regular and hilarious insults thrown at the Committee (Norman Miller in particular), Charlie Chistie gets merciless stick, the brilliant Editorial which sums up the merger perfectly, the slagging of the pathetic local media, and another tremendous letter from the legendary S.J. Macdonald.

Everyone involved with LSM deserves huge credit for the work they did (to borrow Sandy's catchphrase) "against all odds" in what was a horrible time during the final season.

LSM was great and as well as a good editorial team, had some excellent contributions from fans. Enjoy your read

LSM was great and as well as a good editorial team, had some excellent contributions from fans. Enjoy your read

Great thread!!!!

Still brings a tear to the eye travelling down Telford St remembering what was once there

Great players(Urquhart,Wilsie,Lisle,Mann,Davidson,Wad etc Christie sometimes when he could be bothered)

The Howden End,probably what i miss most,the atmosphere and the general banter,some great characters in there,always wonder where they all are now

On a LSM a first class fanzine still like to take a nostalgic read of them now and again,unfortunately i only seem to have 8 or 9 of them,sure i had all 17 at one point

Great to see The Caley haven't been forgotten and they still live on in the memories of fellow howden enders

God Bless The Caley

Great thread!!!!

Still brings a tear to the eye travelling down Telford St remembering what was once there

Great players(Urquhart,Wilsie,Lisle,Mann,Davidson,Wad etc Christie sometimes when he could be bothered)

The Howden End,probably what i miss most,the atmosphere and the general banter,some great characters in there,always wonder where they all are now

On a LSM a first class fanzine still like to take a nostalgic read of them now and again,unfortunately i only seem to have 8 or 9 of them,sure i had all 17 at one point

Great to see The Caley haven't been forgotten and they still live on in the memories of fellow howden enders

God Bless The Caley

God Bless The Caley indeed mate and God Bless You too for that matter (if that isn't going too far).

I really think somebody should knock down Currys and rebuild the magnificent stucture structure that was the Howden End. What are the chances? Pretty high i'd say.

Edited by RayBees

Great thread!!!!

God Bless The Caley

Welcome on board, Caledonian 108. Look forward to reading some of your memories of supporting The Mighty Caley. The Howden End - great atmosphere

"Caledonian FC - Primus inter Omnes"

God Bless The Caley indeed mate and God Bless You too for that matter (if that isn't going too far).

I really think somebody should knock down Currys and rebuild the magnificent stucture structure that was the Howden End. What are the chances? Pretty high i'd say.

Never thought of that option,would even help rebuild Currys at the Dump :lol::lol:

Think so as he played for Dulwich Hamlet after ICT

Just had a look on their site - they have a very tidy stadium and they play in pink - how cosmopolitan.

By the looks of it he didn't have a particularly distinguished time:

League career :

Club Season

Matches Goals

england.gifDulwich Hamlet 1996-1997

- - zoom_out.gif

So I'll let you carry on with your 'Nostalgia'????? thread and won't bother you again as I like many other decent ICT fans have moved on, and as a wee bit more to keep you going it might be better to remember that there might be no Clachnacudden today if Inverness Caledonian Thistle hadn't stepped in when they did a few years back.

There is no Clachnacudden today.

Are the majority of their fans old enough to remember Caley though?

The majority probably didn't even bother supporting either Caley/Thistle in the HL to be fair and most likely are OF converts.

A PROPER singing section with a ROOF on it & area for Band to play

Taken from their unofficial website, maybe a typical young ICT fan i.e didn't no anything different to the Longman and it's lack of history/atmosphere? (In comparison to the Howden End or Jail End for example.)

Guest HowdenEnder

Nice to see there are some fellow Howden Enders out there.

Just got told about this forum recently and it's been great reading all the comments. Glad to see I'm not the only one to look over old LSM's and match programs remembering the old days at Telford Street. I followed Caley from about the age of 4 when my dad first took me to a game up until that fateful day in Huntly in May 1994. For their last

few seasons I went to all of the games home and away with my mates and I miss that big time.

For the record I voted against the merger and as I told people at the time I was not a 'rebel' as I did not want to change anything. The Caley board at the time were the 'rebels.' I wanted Caley to stay in the Highland League. We had arguably the most competitive league in Scotland and a great sporting rivalry built up with the other teams for over 100 years. Why would we want to give that up? If I wanted SPL football I would have bought a season ticket for Rangers, Celtic etc..

What I would give to be in the Howden End on a cold, wet February Wednesday night watching the likes of Rothes again...