Caledonian F.c. Thread

RayBees

old man and uncle .........Freddie and Bobby Nield?

Aye. My mate is looking for a pics he has from when his father "ripped apart the Lisbon Lions at Caley Park"

Freddie trained our school football team and I was close mates with his boys. Freddie's a big Rangers man but took us all over the country to watch football, any football. I never saw him play, other than during training sessions, but I can put my love of the game firmly down to him. I started supporting Caledonian due to his influence too.

He would sit me, my brother and his lads down and teach us the rules, tactics etc. He would show us video after video of matches, pausing the tape and grilling us on what had happened, why the ref got it wrong, what the players did and what they would be thinking. Never did me much good though other than giving me a pedantry about the laws of the game. Couldn't kick a ball to save my life, more of a rugby player myself.

I saw Bobby play quite often with Kingussie's welfare club. The boy had skills then. Great pair of lads too.

Edited by stonedsailor

Aye. My mate is looking for a pics he has from when his father "ripped apart the Lisbon Lions at Caley Park"

Freddie trained our school football team and I was close mates with his boys. Freddie's a big Rangers man but took us all over the country to watch football, any football. I never saw him play, other than during training sessions, but I can put my love of the game firmly down to him. I started supporting Caledonian due to his influence too.

He would sit me, my brother and his lads down and teach us the rules, tactics etc. He would show us video after video of matches, pausing the tape and grilling us on what had happened, why the ref got it wrong, what the players did and what they would be thinking. Never did me much good though other than giving me a pedantry about the laws of the game. Couldn't kick a ball to save my life, more of a rugby player myself.

I saw Bobby play quite often with Kingussie's welfare club. The boy had skills then. Great pair of lads too.

The very first football match I attended was the game where Freddie ripped the Lisbon Lions apart. That was May 1968 and I can vouch that he did rip Jim Craig, then a Scotland international apart. He provided the cross for Huisdean Lazenby to make the score 1-1 v the match finishing 6-1. Celtic enquired about Freddie after that match and invited him to guest in their under 21 team in a European tournament but he was a few weeks too old. I was from the Black Isle and expected to follow the County, but that day I became a Caley fan and Freddie was my first hero. He was incredibly talented and had a left peg from heaven, but like a lot of wingers, he could disappear from games. I got involved with the supporters club and used to sell raffle tickets at the home games until I moved to Uni in Edinburgh in 1975, around the time The Nields packed in playing for Caley. Bobby didn't have Freddie's skills but he was a strong presence in an excellent caley team in 72-73. This was a team of stars andBobby was overlooked, however he was a model of consistency and commitment, having switched from striker to sweeper and he took to his new role as if he had played there all his life. I actually swapped a couple of emails with Bobby a few years back. Was in their company a few times in the Social Club after a game and agree, great guys and if my memory is correct, Freddie had a GSOH. Both great players in their own right and will be fondly remembered by Caley supporters of my generation. Unfortunately, I have no photos from that first match when Freddie Nield indeed rip Celtic apart.

The very first football match I attended was the game where Freddie ripped the Lisbon Lions apart. That was May 1968 and I can vouch that he did rip Jim Craig, then a Scotland international apart. He provided the cross for Huisdean Lazenby to make the score 1-1 v the match finishing 6-1. Celtic enquired about Freddie after that match and invited him to guest in their under 21 team in a European tournament but he was a few weeks too old. I was from the Black Isle and expected to follow the County, but that day I became a Caley fan and Freddie was my first hero. He was incredibly talented and had a left peg from heaven, but like a lot of wingers, he could disappear from games. I got involved with the supporters club and used to sell raffle tickets at the home games until I moved to Uni in Edinburgh in 1975, around the time The Nields packed in playing for Caley. Bobby didn't have Freddie's skills but he was a strong presence in an excellent caley team in 72-73. This was a team of stars andBobby was overlooked, however he was a model of consistency and commitment, having switched from striker to sweeper and he took to his new role as if he had played there all his life. I actually swapped a couple of emails with Bobby a few years back. Was in their company a few times in the Social Club after a game and agree, great guys and if my memory is correct, Freddie had a GSOH. Both great players in their own right and will be fondly remembered by Caley supporters of my generation. Unfortunately, I have no photos from that first match when Freddie Nield indeed rip Celtic apart.

Will be chatting with Freddie's boy in the near future. If I get any more photos from him I'll post them on here for you.

Don't know how true but I have been told a few times Fred had the chances to go to some big clubs both sides of the border but Bobby was rejected and Freddie refused to go without him.

Will be chatting with Freddie's boy in the near future. If I get any more photos from him I'll post them on here for you.

Don't know how true but I have been told a few times Fred had the chances to go to some big clubs both sides of the border but Bobby was rejected and Freddie refused to go without him.

Any more photos would be much appreciated; I followed Caley closely from 1968 onwards and whilst Freddie was always rated but I have no recollection of him turning down a move to either Scottish or English league clubs, however, I have no knowledge of what interest there might have been in him prior to 1968 and I would not have been remotely surprised if there had been interest in him. One possible scenario is that if it was known that Freddie was not keen to move without Bobby, then league clubs would not look at him. Players moving south from the Highland League was quite rare in those days, the underlying theory being that there was not a great deal of talent in the Highlands. Ironically, those who did move upstairs tended to do well- Davie Johston at Aberdeen (ex Nairn County), Donnie Gillies went from Clach to Morton and then Bristol City, Donnie Park from Caley to Hearts, Roddie McDonald from Brora Rangers to Celtic and Denis Laughton from Ross County to Morton and then Newcastle. All of these went onto become first team regulars at their new clubs. Freddie would definitely not have been out of place in that company

Any more photos would be much appreciated; I followed Caley closely from 1968 onwards and whilst Freddie was always rated but I have no recollection of him turning down a move to either Scottish or English league clubs, however, I have no knowledge of what interest there might have been in him prior to 1968 and I would not have been remotely surprised if there had been interest in him. One possible scenario is that if it was known that Freddie was not keen to move without Bobby, then league clubs would not look at him. Players moving south from the Highland League was quite rare in those days, the underlying theory being that there was not a great deal of talent in the Highlands. Ironically, those who did move upstairs tended to do well- Davie Johston at Aberdeen (ex Nairn County), Donnie Gillies went from Clach to Morton and then Bristol City, Donnie Park from Caley to Hearts, Roddie McDonald from Brora Rangers to Celtic and Denis Laughton from Ross County to Morton and then Newcastle. All of these went onto become first team regulars at their new clubs. Freddie would definitely not have been out of place in that company

Like I say I don't know how true it is. Third hand information is often skewed. I am certain I will have more photos for you at some stage but not sure when I will be in Badenoch next.

• 2 weeks later...

They would've watched it. Of course they would've. Some were probably supporting us, the others, sitting in their Ross County tops supporting Falkirk.

and thats another thing I haven't worked out, the Caley only ones who didn't want to support the new club because it was a different club were okay with supporting a different club that used to play your old club and were rivals?

I only say that cause if United went bust tomorrow I doubt I would go watch St Johnstone or the Dee!

and thats another thing I haven't worked out, the Caley only ones who didn't want to support the new club because it was a different club were okay with supporting a different club that used to play your old club and were rivals?

I only say that cause if United went bust tomorrow I doubt I would go watch St Johnstone or the Dee!

You wouldn't support the Dee because they were part of your new club. I remember the initial furore and all the meetings going on in the Rose Street Hall concerning the merger and everyone at Caley hated Thistle and vice versa. I was just a boy at the time but the hatred was real.

I genuinely understand why Caley or Thistle fans would support another team, but this will die out with this generation.

For the uniqueness of the story, this has definitely got to be the best thread on pie n bovril.

Can totally understand the original Caly and Thistle fans not supporting ICT but kinda baffles me why they would support County, as MacGrafraidh mentions.

Would be like Irvine Meadow and Irvine Victoria amalgamating and joining "pyramid" calling themselves IMVXI FC and the Medda fans suddenly start supporting Auchinleck Talbot.

Suppose its hard to understand or imagine if you've never had your club snatched from under you though.

For the uniqueness of the story, this has definitely got to be the best thread on pie n bovril.

Can totally understand the original Caly and Thistle fans not supporting ICT but kinda baffles me why they would support County, as MacGrafraidh mentions.

Would be like Irvine Meadow and Irvine Victoria amalgamating and joining "pyramid" calling themselves IMVXI FC and the Medda fans suddenly start supporting Auchinleck Talbot.

Suppose its hard to understand or imagine if you've never had your club snatched from under you though.

Your last line is very true. Try imagining Ladeside merging with Beith......................

• 3 weeks later...

I pop into this thread every now and then, so apologies if I've missed it, but a few questions for Inverness football folk

1- Is it mostly Caledonian fans who are bitter about the merger? Did Thistle fans have the same animosity?

2- Did many then go to watch Clach afterwards?

3- Why didn't a Caledonian FC (1995) get set up by the fans to remain in the Highland League?

4- See question number 5

5- See question number 4

Since my first response to the above post, have found out from an ex Caley player of the early 70s that Freddie (Nield) turned down the opportunity to go to Cardiff City

Now before I start I don't want to offend anybody. I am an airdrie fan and many years ago I used to work for the bank of Scotland and I played for the west of Scotland football team, and we played a highland select team the 1st year we played at Inverness clachnacuddens park. The 2nd year we played at a high school playing fields. But the 2nd year airdrie were playing Inverness Caledonian thistle in airdrie and airdrie beat ict 5-0 and we went back to clachs social club and I had my airdrie jersey on and I was treated like royalty didn't have to buy a drink all nite. One of the best nights I had. Amazing hospitality amazing people amazing city.

Now before I start I don't want to offend anybody. I am an airdrie fan and many years ago I used to work for the bank of Scotland and I played for the west of Scotland football team, and we played a highland select team the 1st year we played at Inverness clachnacuddens park. The 2nd year we played at a high school playing fields. But the 2nd year airdrie were playing Inverness Caledonian thistle in airdrie and airdrie beat ict 5-0 and we went back to clachs social club and I had my airdrie jersey on and I was treated like royalty didn't have to buy a drink all nite. One of the best nights I had. Amazing hospitality amazing people amazing city.

Airdrieonians or Airdrie united?

Old club or new club.

• 1 month later...

I pop into this thread every now and then, so apologies if I've missed it, but a few questions for Inverness football folk

1- Is it mostly Caledonian fans who are bitter about the merger? Did Thistle fans have the same animosity?

2- Did many then go to watch Clach afterwards?

3- Why didn't a Caledonian FC (1995) get set up by the fans to remain in the Highland League?

4- See question number 5

5- See question number 4

1.thistle fans did,yes.still do.

2.i go to clach regularly,more than many clach supporters I know,even cheer goals but never considered myself a fan

3.there was an amateur team,still is

I went from going to 40 odd games a season to just going to Scotland games,after 3 or 4 years I got sick of that,decided to follow cowdenbeath,pretty random but ive enjoyed it.re the ross county thing,i could never have transferred allegiance to them,vile mob,the only thing they have in their favour is that theyre not ict.