Caledonian F.c. Thread

RayBees

Had many great times at away games particulary Scottish Cup remember bus driver getting lost on way to Brechin in a 2-1 defeat, 2-2 draw at Airdrie when my mate got punched in the face by some ned in dungarees, 4-1 win at Stenhousemuir after been a goal down and Danny MacDonald been stretchered off and the great night in Perth when Caley took over McDiarmid Park.

The 2-2 draw at Airdrie was a brilliant day. The Caley fans made tremendous noise but we were totally robbed at the death when airdrie equalised. No matter though thanks to Hamish Morrison's heroics in the snow in the replay. I remember sitting on top of my dad's shoulders in the Howden end that night cos i couldn't see the game.

The 4-1 romp at Stenhousemuir was also magic. They didn't know what hit them in the second half.

As for both st. Johnstone games - legendary.

Shut up Clacher.

Back to Caley: What was the greatest Caley kit? I'd have to say the home kit from about 89/90 sponsored by John G MacGregor which was all blue (surprisingly) with the top quarter featuring a fetching white background and a neat, although a little crude, Scottish map design.

Doc is sporting it in this picture:

http://www.caledonianfc.co.uk/Caley%20Webs...layers/doc.html

I remember my folks buying it for me from Turnbull Sports but my kit had blue shorts with white trimmings whereas Doc is sporting white shorts with blue trimmings. Which is better?

Dont really have favourite Caley strip, but a definite preference for blue and white strips, without any red.

The 2-2 draw at Airdrie was a brilliant day. The Caley fans made tremendous noise but we were totally robbed at the death when airdrie equalised. No matter though thanks to Hamish Morrison's heroics in the snow in the replay. I remember sitting on top of my dad's shoulders in the Howden end that night cos i couldn't see the game.

The 4-1 romp at Stenhousemuir was also magic. They didn't know what hit them in the second half.

As for both st. Johnstone games - legendary.

All of these games were great, but for me, it has to be the 2-1 Scottish Cup replay away to Stirling Albion in 1984 on a miserable Wednesday night. At stake for the winners was a home tie against Rangers. Stirling scored after 7 minutes and pretty well controlled tha first half. In true Caley Scottish cup tradition, we came more into it in the second half, but got that feeling they were not going to score, when in the last minute Martin Lisle headed in a teriffic cross from Robbie Baxter. Extra time saw both clubs struggle, but in the 119th minute, the Legend hit a 25 yard half volley high into the net :lol: . Cue some of the wildest celebrations I have come across at a game and a race onto the pitch at fulltime. About 10 Caley fans were on the train back to Edinburgh. We didn't sing, we had shouted ourselves hoarse but we certainly partied once we hit Haymarket.

Dont really have favourite Caley strip, but a definite preference for blue and white strips, without any red.

Check out this interesting page. Notice how they have missed out my favourite. Caley and Jags both had some smart kits in their time. Some of the horrors on show after 1994 however....

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_F...ian_Thistle.htm

Check out this interesting page. Notice how they have missed out my favourite. Caley and Jags both had some smart kits in their time. Some of the horrors on show after 1994 however....

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_F...ian_Thistle.htm

Some great Caley strips, have to say, a bit of a soft spot for the srtiped change shirts of the late '60s/early '70s. Maybe because they wore that one when they thrashed Ross County in the Scottish in 1969. A cool 5-0. Bliss. Have to say some of the Jags strips were damned good

Some great Caley strips, have to say, a bit of a soft spot for the srtiped change shirts of the late '60s/early '70s. Maybe because they wore that one when they thrashed Ross County in the Scottish in 1969. A cool 5-0. Bliss. Have to say some of the Jags strips were damned good

Brilliant! I emailed Historical Kits with a picture of the home kit from 89/90 and not only have they added it (it looks fantastic) but they also have given Caley and Jags their own pages! Also, PRS they seem to have removed the striped shirts from the 60s that you thought may have been an away kit. Could it be possible they are reading the Caley Memorial Thread?

Take a look:

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_F...Caledonian.html

Edited by RayBees

Brilliant! I emailed Historical Kits with a picture of the home kit from 89/90 and not only have they added it (it looks fantastic) but they also have given Caley and Jags their own pages! Also, PRS they seem to have removed the striped shirts from the 60s that you thought may have been an away kit. Could it be possible they are reading the Caley Memorial Thread?

Take a look:

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_F...Caledonian.html

A good job well done Mr Raybees. By the late '60s, I was following Caley and I am 100% certain the striped kits were change strips. Do like the 89/90 strip, damned classy ,but if I had to choose one, it would be thw 87-89 strip.

I just found a video on Bebo of Alan Hercher's goal in the 3-1 against Clyde in the Scottish Cup from about 92 or 93. I think i was ballboy at that match. Unfortunately, Chick Young does the commentary and naively refers to Charlie Christie as "local hero". Such foolishness!

I just found a video on Bebo of Alan Hercher's goal in the 3-1 against Clyde in the Scottish Cup from about 92 or 93. I think i was ballboy at that match. Unfortunately, Chick Young does the commentary and naively refers to Charlie Christie as "local hero". Such foolishness!

I nearly missed the bus back to Edinburgh after that game - kick off delayed 15 minutes and I had a race to get the 5.15 Citylink. Anyway, remember the game well and Clydes arrogance in not even having Caley watched. 1-1 at half time, Clyde just tried to shut up shop and nealy succeeded but for very sloppy defending at a free kick that saw the Legend get a free header. At 2-1, Clyde just gave up. Herch just rubbed it in when he made it 3-1.

Chick Young and Charlie Christie - just about deserve each other.

I nearly missed the bus back to Edinburgh after that game - kick off delayed 15 minutes and I had a race to get the 5.15 Citylink. Anyway, remember the game well and Clydes arrogance in not even having Caley watched. 1-1 at half time, Clyde just tried to shut up shop and nealy succeeded but for very sloppy defending at a free kick that saw the Legend get a free header. At 2-1, Clyde just gave up. Herch just rubbed it in when he made it 3-1.

Chick Young and Charlie Christie - just about deserve each other.

I see our friend Charlie has been given another job back at ICT doing the commercial/lottery stuff. Certainly no mention of "jobs for the boys" or any of that coming from me. No way.

Hey PRS, my programme from the Airdrie home game arrived in the post yesterday. (still no sign of LSM, I'm furious). Anyway, its fantastic. From "Corbett's Column" when he thanks the fans who travelled by bus to Broomfield (I was on one of the buses) the previous Saturday - to the "Player Profile" on Karl MacKay (remember him!) who lists occupation as Apprentice Electrician and his Likes are "Saturday nights with the rest of the boys". Even the adverts are great, for stuff like Hay's Lemonade, the (now sadly gone) Muirtown Motel and Younger's Tartan Special. Well worth the 75p i paid for it 2nd time around!!

My dad is on the case of trying to held hold of loads of other Caley memorabilia.

I see our friend Charlie has been given another job back at ICT doing the commercial/lottery stuff. Certainly no mention of "jobs for the boys" or any of that coming from me. No way.

Hey PRS, my programme from the Airdrie home game arrived in the post yesterday. (still no sign of LSM, I'm furious). Anyway, its fantastic. From "Corbett's Column" when he thanks the fans who travelled by bus to Broomfield (I was on one of the buses) the previous Saturday - to the "Player Profile" on Karl MacKay (remember him!) who lists occupation as Apprentice Electrician and his Likes are "Saturday nights with the rest of the boys". Even the adverts are great, for stuff like Hay's Lemonade, the (now sadly gone) Muirtown Motel and Younger's Tartan Special. Well worth the 75p i paid for it 2nd time around!!

My dad is on the case of trying to held hold of loads of other Caley memorabilia.

Karl MacKay could have been a really good Highland League player, but general consensus was that he lacked the "discipline" required to be a semi pro player. Joined Nairn on loan, then born again Clach paid a grand for him around 1992, following which he drifted out of the Highland League into the glorious world of Nairn St Ninian. A case of what could have been.

I could not make the Airdrie replay for travel reasons, but I remember getting phone calls from various members of the family to tell me Caley were through. Happy days indeed.

Guest Highland1

Charlie Christie has played for all three Inverness clubs in the Highland league, so explain to me oh wise one how this does not make him a local hero, as I believe he was an integral part in winning leagues for them Caley twats and Inverness Thistle.

Charlie Christie has played for all three Inverness clubs in the Highland league, so explain to me oh wise one how this does not make him a local hero, as I believe he was an integral part in winning leagues for them Caley twats and Inverness Thistle.

Oh jesus christ. Only a simple dimwitted little ICT child would make a statement like that. You're right in that you're beloved CC played for both Caley and Jaggy twats but he was never, ever particularly liked by Caley fans. I know you may find this hard to believe but it was so.

I think you'll find Wilsie, Billy Urquhart, Kevin Mann, etc, were held in infinitely more high esteem amongst Caley fans. And don't take that sarcastic tone with me again. I think PRS will back me up in this.

Edited by RayBees

Simple really. No one could doubt CCs skills, but you could certainly question his committment in many games and when the going got tough, he disappeared. Players like Billy Urq, Kevin Mann, Wilson Robertson, Wad Skinner, Mike Andrews, Martin Lisle and Roddy Davidson were at Telford Street the same time as Charlie and were all held in higher esteem by the Caley faithfull than CC.

Oh jesus christ. Only a simple dimwitted little ICT child would make a statement like that. You're right in that you're beloved CC played for both Caley and Jaggy twats but he was never, ever particularly liked by Caley fans. I know you may find this hard to believe but it was so.

I think you'll find Wilsie, Billy Urquhart, Kevin Mann, etc, were held in infinitely more high esteem amongst Caley fans. And don't take that sarcastic tone with me again. I think PRS will back me up in this.

I was pished having just come home from the pub when i wrote this. I'm happily surprised it still makes sense the next day.

I was pished having just come home from the pub when i wrote this. I'm happily surprised it still makes sense the next day.

You'd need to be helluva pished to imagine that Charlie was ever a Caley hero.

Don't really know much about Caledonian or Thistle. What kind of crowds did they get and what was there biggest games?

I can't speak for Thistle, but i would say a typical Caley Highland League game at Telford Street would get between 400-600. Games against Elgin or the Jags would usually attract a bigger crowd and 1000+ was quite common. Games against Ross County, in the early 90s when County were a real force, would often get 1500-2000 and on occasions more. It was always slightly annoying to have to queue with the "once a year" people for the big games but some of the crowds in those games really showed the potential that Caley had to be a league side.The banter and songs amongst Caley fans was tremendous and one of the best things about following them. There were a lot of great characters amongst the regular, hardcore support. PRS could probably tell you more stories as he is considerably older than me! (Sorry Dave).

Some of the big games have been probably covered earlier on in the thread but it would take a while to search. The biggest games from my time following Caley were the penalty shootout Scottish Cup win over Airdrie in 1990 (5,500 sellout). The games against St Johnstone in 1992 when they beat us 3-0 in a replay (crowd: 9,693) in Perth. I also remember some cracking games against County and Elgin. It was great to follow Caley.

Edited by RayBees

I remember when Caley had a Scottish Cup Game with Clyde I think it was and the manager was the ex-celt John Clark, in the friday news sports item on TV he kept referring to Caley as Ceilidh, anyway the next day Ceilidh hammered his team 3-1 I think it was so he learned the hard way how to pronounce an opponents name, a good game as I remember.

Anyway it highlights how only a few years ago a manager in the central belt hadn't heard of Caley, now? there's not a football fan in the UK hasn't heard of us, fact! and as Clacher pointed out only 250 voted against the merger and that wasn't much over an average gate.Caleys average gate is over 4,000 and growing these days.

What I have never been able to understand is why those objectors who so passionately believed in their team didn't immediately create another team called Inverness Caledonian ( ICT didn't have the Inverness tag at the time) and register with the Highland league, they could have played at Bught park.

Funnily enough I was looking at that ICT video on YouTube again this morning, and it shows a fleeting glimpse of the BUS! Remember it? the double decker parked outside the walls with the windows all steamed up and some of the objectors shouting through them tiny slidy windows, what a laugh.

I fully understand the passion in football though and what could drive them to do it, anyway I'd better go and let the Caledonian Nostalgia roll on.