Caledonian F.c. Thread

RayBees

So why didn't they just promote both the clubs, instead of putting up Elgin, who are shite.

You're getting your times mixed up. ICT/Ross County were admitted to the league in '94. Elgin and Peterhead a few years later under different reconstruction. Anyway, Thistle were truly shite and would never have had a chance on their own.

You're getting your times mixed up. ICT/Ross County were admitted to the league in '94. Elgin and Peterhead a few years later under different reconstruction. Anyway, Thistle were truly shite and would never have had a chance on their own.

Thistle almost got elected in 1974. Tied with Ferranti/Meadowbank on the first vote and lost 21-16 on the second. Surely Caley would have won the vote in 1994 if they'd gone it alone?

I always thought Caley or Inverness Thistle or both should have stood on their own merits, Caley could have got in in my opinion.

Having said that Caley and Thistle merging meant there were 2 less good teams for City to worry about in the HL and related competitions, although City's glory days had passed by 1994.

totally deviating from recent posts and instead celebrating the good old pre94 days,heres a story that might amuse old caley boys.

one of my workmates played for pishle in the 80s and so played alongside billy wilson who was,i understand,a fireman.After a local derby match,wilson had to report unfit for duty at work,apparantly when he returned and had to fill in the relevant paperwork,under "reason for absence" he wrote "roddy davidson" :lol::lol: i'd like to think he didnt have to give any further elaboration

• 2 weeks later...

The 2-2 draw at Airdrie was a brilliant day. The Caley fans made tremendous noise but we were totally robbed at the death when airdrie equalised. No matter though thanks to Hamish Morrison's heroics in the snow in the replay. I remember sitting on top of my dad's shoulders in the Howden end that night cos i couldn't see the game.

The 4-1 romp at Stenhousemuir was also magic. They didn't know what hit them in the second half.

As for both st. Johnstone games - legendary.

Lucky win for 'kick and rush' Caley that day.

1326116625[/url]' post='5873556']

Lucky win for 'kick and rush' Caley that day.

"kick and rush" Caley- unless I am mistaken, that was how the Falkirk Herald described Caley and nothing lucky about that win as Caley came from a goal down to play the Warriers off the park with 4 second half goals, could have been more as Kevin Mann also rattled the crossbar with Kelly well beaten. Stennys biggest gate for many a season as well.

"kick and rush" Caley- unless I am mistaken, that was how the Falkirk Herald described Caley and nothing lucky about that win as Caley came from a goal down to play the Warriers off the park with 4 second half goals, could have been more as Kevin Mann also rattled the crossbar with Kelly well beaten. Stennys biggest gate for many a season as well.

It was our gaffer at the time, Dennis Lawson, who described Caley as being kick and rush. He wrote it in his programme notes also. Talk about making a rod for your own back though!

I actually thought we played ok first half and quite deserved our lead. Different story second half though with Caley totally dominant. To be honest though, you were playing one of the poorest Warriors outfits in years. We finished second bottom of the league pile that season and eventually sacked Lawson.

Don't know about it being our biggest gate but there was certainly a healthy crowd came down from Inverness.

1326184090[/url]' post='5876101']

It was our gaffer at the time, Dennis Lawson, who described Caley as being kick and rush. He wrote it in his programme notes also. Talk about making a rod for your own back though!

I actually thought we played ok first half and quite deserved our lead. Different story second half though with Caley totally dominant. To be honest though, you were playing one of the poorest Warriors outfits in years. We finished second bottom of the league pile that season and eventually sacked Lawson.

Don't know about it being our biggest gate but there was certainly a healthy crowd came down from Inverness.

Knew I had read "kick and rush" description somewhere and you are right, it was from Denis Lawson but I read it in the Falkirk Herald. To be honest do not remember much about the first half, largely non descript but remeber thinking at half time that there was not much between the sides and at that point would have taken a draw . Second half saw Caley dominate and win quite easily, the Warriors seemed to throw in the towel after going 2-1 down, symptomatic of the poor side they were at the time. Had watched them against Berwick in the league a few weeks previously at Ochilview and felt then Caley where in with more than a shout. It was your biggest he for a number of seasons at 1500!

Knew I had read "kick and rush" description somewhere and you are right, it was from Denis Lawson but I read it in the Falkirk Herald. To be honest do not remember much about the first half, largely non descript but remeber thinking at half time that there was not much between the sides and at that point would have taken a draw . Second half saw Caley dominate and win quite easily, the Warriors seemed to throw in the towel after going 2-1 down, symptomatic of the poor side they were at the time. Had watched them against Berwick in the league a few weeks previously at Ochilview and felt then Caley where in with more than a shout. It was your biggest he for a number of seasons at 1500!

If memory serves, the Larbert turf accountants took a bit of a shoeing that day also!!

1326847169[/url]' post='5897027']

If memory serves, the Larbert turf accountants took a bit of a shoeing that day also!!

If my memory serves me well, the local bookies had Caley at 11/4 and they took a right pounding, paying for several celebratory carry outs that headed up the A9 that night.

If my memory serves me well, the local bookies had Caley at 11/4 and they took a right pounding, paying for several celebratory carry outs that headed up the A9 that night.

I remember been down on the bus and a lot of boys putting money on. I was too young at the time to get near the bookies. :(

Use to love away trips. Brechin, Airdirie, Stenhousemuir, Stirling Albion, St.Johnstone..........

• 3 weeks later...

Been reading this thread on and off for a couple of weeks now and finally got to the end tonight. Its been an interesting thread to say the least and until now I have never really thought about the true impact the merger had on what would have been 2 once proud clubs. I don't doubt for a minute a team of caley's stature would have made the climb up through the leagues on their own. You only have to look at some of those clips of their ties against league opposition and the atmosphere inside the ground to realise the foundations were definately there to progress. My god I can't even imagine my team no longer being around, saturday's just wouldn't be the same. Take a bow prs and raybees for your input and sharing your memories, some fascanating tales indeed. R.i.p caley

P.s. Did caley ever have a yellow away shirt late 80s early 90s? If so I think i owned it. My mum and dad had known a couple who were origanally from up north and I used to receive the most random hand me down football shirts from their son. Don't think I ever wore any as I was about 5 years younger than the boy!! I expect a bit of stick here as I've either thrown out what would now be a piece of treasured caley memorabilia or i've confused your teams strip with a thistle or clach one, lol.

Edited by Fear no foe

1328914961[/url]' post='5958173']

Been reading this thread on and off for a couple of weeks now and finally got to the end tonight. Its been an interesting thread to say the least and until now I have never really thought about the true impact the merger had on what would have been 2 once proud clubs. I don't doubt for a minute a team of caley's stature would have made the climb up through the leagues on their own. You only have to look at some of those clips of their ties against league opposition and the atmosphere inside the ground to realise the foundations were definately there to progress. My god I can't even imagine my team no longer being around, saturday's just wouldn't be the same. Take a bow prs and raybees for your input and sharing your memories, some fascanating tales indeed. R.i.p caley

P.s. Did caley ever have a yellow away shirt late 80s early 90s? If so I think i owned it. My mum and dad had known a couple who were origanally from up north and I used to receive the most random hand me down football shirts from their son. Don't think I ever wore any as I was about 5 years younger than the boy!! I expect a bit of stick here as I've either thrown out what would now be a piece of treasured caley memorabilia or i've confused your teams strip with a thistle or clach one, lol.

Nice respectful posting. Thank you. Think Caley did have a change strip that was yellow at some point, Clach certainly did. Yeh, Saturdays are not the same anymore and if you want to know what it feels like, imagine Ladeside being forced into a merger with Beith. Noisytravelling support, Ladeside, saw you at Musselburgh and Arthurlie last season.

if you want to know what it feels like, imagine Ladeside being forced into a merger with Beith. Noisytravelling support, Ladeside, saw you at Musselburgh and Arthurlie last season.

Would'nt imagine many of our current fans continuing to follow us if we were in any way re-branded / merged with anyone else, never mind B**th, doesnt bear thinking about. Those 2 games you mention were great days out last season, even though we lost them both, remember being absolutley drenched at the Arthurlie game, was pishing down that day. Our noisy support have kinda faded this season cos we have been so poor, we are def going down this season but we'l be back! Keep this thread going, mon the Caley!!

Edited by Fear no foe

• 4 weeks later...

we sure did,they must have gotten it from a player because i dont remember that one being available to buy.pity you threw it out!

Forres Mechanics neglected to bring their own kit to Telford Street on one occasion and had to wear the yellow Caley away kit. It was like watching Caley vs Caley reserves.

It would be if it was Caley v Forres! smile.gif