Caledonian F.c. Thread

RayBees

Aye season 91-92.

My moment of fame comes after 5 minutes 18 seconds. The ginger ball boy clapping the awarding of the penalty (which looked a highly dubious decision by the way!).

I was in the Howden End (where else) and no one was shouting for that penalty. I've watched it umpteen times on video and still think it was a very soft award. That goal got us back into a game that was really beyond us. Polwarths equaliser led to the best celebrations ever in the Howden End and for a few minutes it looked like Caley just might knock out a Premier League club.

I travelled down the road with a very subdued Saints fan.

I was in the Howden End (where else) and no one was shouting for that penalty. I've watched it umpteen times on video and still think it was a very soft award. That goal got us back into a game that was really beyond us. Polwarths equaliser led to the best celebrations ever in the Howden End and for a few minutes it looked like Caley just might knock out a Premier League club.

I travelled down the road with a very subdued Saints fan.

I thought Alex Totten was just making excuses when he was moaning about the state of the pitch afterwards but looking at it there it was rotten and would put Fir Park to shame.

I thought Alex Totten was just making excuses when he was moaning about the state of the pitch afterwards but looking at it there it was rotten and would put Fir Park to shame.

Agree, however, what about the atmosphere that day?

Camera did not catch you celebrating the equaliser, what do you remember of it?

Agree, however, what about the atmosphere that day?

Camera did not catch you celebrating the equaliser, what do you remember of it?

I was yards away from it. It was such a bullet header from Ian Polworth. I was jumping up and down and didn't see his naff celebration but i looked back at the Howden End and it was utter bedlam. Still one of the coldest days i've ever experienced.

What about yourself? Wasn't the Saints fan in the Howden End with you?

Edited by RayBees

I was yards away from it. It was such a bullet header from Ian Polworth. I was jumping up and down and didn't see his naff celebration but i looked back at the Howden End and it was utter bedlam. Still one of the coldest days i've ever experienced.

What about yourself? Wasn't the Saints fan in the Howden End with you?

He was in the Howden End with me. We travelled to and from the game. He lived in Livingston and agreed to pick me up in Edinburgh. All the way on the journey up, he was quietly confident and talked about how much he was looking forward to seeing a HL ground, experiencing the Howden End, having heard about it from me. Not a cocky character, but at 2-0, he was enjoying his day, at 2-2, he was ashen faced (not just the cold) and for a few minutes I thought we could do it. If Caley had got a third goal, then I think Saints would have been too shocked to come back.

Edited by PRS

So you guys dont really like ICT?

They will always be the team that killed Caley, thats the main reason why they are disliked/hated by many of us. Other teams fans hate them as they represent a step closer to "franchise" football

Edited by PRS

Hypothetically, were do people think Caley and Thistle would be today if they hadn't been cobbled together in 1994?

Naturally I always believed Caley would've been voted in on their own right to the SFL and made good progress from there. I could certainly see them being at the level of a 1st division club today (maybe higher when you look at the calibre of Hamilton/Gretna,etc?) with the increased support and financial clout that league football would bring.

In all fairness to the Jaggies i reckon they would be at best in the same position they were then - languishing in the middle/lower reaches of the HL.

Hypothetically, were do people think Caley and Thistle would be today if they hadn't been cobbled together in 1994?

There's a lot of ifs and buts in the situation because - as far as I am aware - the HIE dangled a fair financial carrot in front of a merged ICT, and I am not sure that they would have done that in front of either Caley or Thistle as individual clubs.

I think Caley would have been the Invernesian team to progress into the SFL - they had the far better set-up of the three Inverness clubs at the time, and could easily have achieved much the same as the merged ICT did.

As for Thistle, I think they would have done ok in the Highland League as they had a decent set-up, certainly regularly mid-table - but then again, Clach do struggle (other than their one title win) despite being the only semi-pro side in Inverness - so maybe not?

I don't see any reason why Caledonian couldn't have gone up a few divisions, and peaked in the First Division. Had Thistle got in as well, I can't see a reason why they wouldn't just be another Elgin, thats if they even got in. Things weren't that smooth with them when the merger went down, I believe.

I don't see any reason why Caledonian couldn't have gone up a few divisions, and peaked in the First Division. Had Thistle got in as well, I can't see a reason why they wouldn't just be another Elgin, thats if they even got in. Things weren't that smooth with them when the merger went down, I believe.

Think it could be argued Caledonian were already first division standard while still in the HFL along with a few of the others top HFL sides

Don't see why they couldn't have achieved as much if not more than Ross County

All ifs and buts i know but Caledonian in the third division or even still in the HFL would still be more appealing than what ICT offer in the SPL

Naturally I always believed Caley would've been voted in on their own right to the SFL and made good progress from there. I could certainly see them being at the level of a 1st division club today (maybe higher when you look at the calibre of Hamilton/Gretna,etc?) with the increased support and financial clout that league football would bring.

In all fairness to the Jaggies i reckon they would be at best in the same position they were then - languishing in the middle/lower reaches of the HL.

No reason to assume that they would not have achieved as much as Ross County, possibly better. At least as big a support as ICT and more passionate about the club as well. Thistle - would they have survived? They did not have a very big fanbase anyway.

Guest clacher2

somebody remind me why jimmy shaker hates ict and ict fans so passionately? if theres anybody you should be bitter or pissed off at its those individuals who voted for the merger or dare i say it those who were too disorganised and meak to do anything about it at the time.

we were talking about where the clubs would be on the ICT site last week, i reckon thistle would be struggling to survive where clach are now and caley wouldve been voted into the league either in place of peterhead or gretna (with elgin getting in too), and wouldve risen comfortably to full time football at about the same level as ross conway are. if caley and thistle didnt go through with the merger then county wouldnt be anywhere near full time football, they lived off ict's backs for years (in terms of the clubs direction and motivation), everytime we got promoted ahead of them it was mcgregors chequebook that closed the gap.

think telford street wouldve needed a bit of work over the years mind, and theyd never get away with the pitch from the saints video with stevie rehab paterson in charge. if the pro merger voters for caley had held their nerve then who knows what wouldve happened.

what did happen 10 years later was inverness again played st johnston infront of a near 7k crowd and beat them 3-1. rather than a cracking 2-2 cup draw v the big southern team, we were stamping our authority over them and being given a bloody trophy and a premier league ticket to prove it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wE_QMNIih7A

cant deny thats progress. both superb games showing what a league inverness side is capable of

Edited by clacher2

Guest clacher2

and guys dont tell me im being insensitive to the memorial threads integrity, half the bloody thing is anti caley! inverness

Edited by clacher2

Guest clacher2

it always sends a shiver down my spine watching that champions video again, cant help but near jump through the bloody roof watch the goals again.

what i did notice tonight for the first time was the only bit of a red on the strip was a wee blob under the sweaty armpits :D

where is the jags memorial thread anyway. been calling for one all season

somebody remind me why jimmy shaker hates ict and ict fans so passionately? if theres anybody you should be bitter or pissed off at its those individuals who voted for the merger or dare i say it those who were too disorganised and meak to do anything about it at the time.

we were talking about where the clubs would be on the ICT site last week, i reckon thistle would be struggling to survive where clach are now and caley wouldve been voted into the league either in place of peterhead or gretna (with elgin getting in too), and wouldve risen comfortably to full time football at about the same level as ross conway are. if caley and thistle didnt go through with the merger then county wouldnt be anywhere near full time football, they lived off ict's backs for years (in terms of the clubs direction and motivation), everytime we got promoted ahead of them it was mcgregors chequebook that closed the gap.

think telford street wouldve needed a bit of work over the years mind, and theyd never get away with the pitch from the saints video with stevie rehab paterson in charge. if the pro merger voters for caley had held their nerve then who knows what wouldve happened.

what did happen 10 years later was inverness again played st johnston infront of a near 7k crowd and beat them 3-1. rather than a cracking 2-2 cup draw v the big southern team, we were stamping our authority over them and being given a bloody trophy and a premier league ticket to prove it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wE_QMNIih7A

cant deny thats progress. both superb games showing what a league inverness side is capable of

My god, what do you get up to at almost after 2am on a school night?

Jimmy is free to dislike any club he wants Clacher. Regardless of the merger, i don't like ICT as a club anyway - i just think they're horrible (no offence) and Jimmy agrees. Also, you seem to be getting confused over the meaning of the words "pro-merger". I think you're being a bit unfair on County - i don't think they have lived of ICT's backs (sure having a local rival was a help to them) but they would be the first to admit that MacGregor has bankrolled them. Personally, i think they have done tremendously well. And how many County players have ICT nabbed??

I'm not watching your video from 2004 as youtube doesn't play in my work pc but i'm sure its fabulous.

and guys dont tell me im being insensitive to the memorial threads integrity, half the bloody thing is anti caley! inverness

You? Insensitive? Please!

it always sends a shiver down my spine watching that champions video again, cant help but near jump through the bloody roof watch the goals again.

what i did notice tonight for the first time was the only bit of a red on the strip was a wee blob under the sweaty armpits :D

where is the jags memorial thread anyway. been calling for one all season

ICT kits have been, almost without exception, ridiculous sub-Rangers efforts. Horrible.

Where is the Jags memorial indeed? Thats a question i would like answered.