Caledonian F.c. Thread

RayBees

So what was the crowd at the game like yesterday PRS? East Stirling are much improved from recent years, no?

Official attendance was 528, mainly home fans. Pacier than the Highland League, but no great skill quotient. However, the steak mince pies almost made the journey worthwhile. Atmosphere was much more muted that a Highland League derby

Official attendance was 528, mainly home fans. Pacier than the Highland League, but no great skill quotient. However, the steak mince pies almost made the journey worthwhile. Atmosphere was much more muted that a Highland League derby

I wouldnt imagine it would be a patch on a Caley game so no surprise there. Any other matches planned soon? I might take in the County-Whitehill Welfare Scottish Cup game and the County-Raith match as well.

There are indeed only 15 teams. The search is permanently on for a 16th (as far as I'm concerned we're three short, not one) but theres debate over whether theres anyone of the standard (seriously).

Other than Golspie, Banks O'Dee are the closest thing to a 16th team now, and take part in the Aberdeenshire FA pots. I don't know if they plan on stepping up this summer. Other names touted are the usual Strathspey Thistle, Dufftown, Alness, Invergordon, Turriff United, Ellon, etc., but no one seems to be able to get it together. Now the Scottish Cup features us all, it might tempt more out of the darkness.

There are indeed only 15 teams. The search is permanently on for a 16th (as far as I'm concerned we're three short, not one) but theres debate over whether theres anyone of the standard (seriously).

Other than Golspie, Banks O'Dee are the closest thing to a 16th team now, and take part in the Aberdeenshire FA pots. I don't know if they plan on stepping up this summer. Other names touted are the usual Strathspey Thistle, Dufftown, Alness, Invergordon, Turriff United, Ellon, etc., but no one seems to be able to get it together. Now the Scottish Cup features us all, it might tempt more out of the darkness.

Interesting Jimmy, thanks for that. A return to 18 teams would be a good in my view as well. Standard is obviously an issue though.

I just got a hold of Forres Mechanics - The First Hundred Years by Collin G Watson as his daughter works with me. At the back it has, with one or two exceptions, every Highland League Table from 1921-22 to 1983-84 which was Forres' centenary year. I haven't read the book yet as i'm only interested in scanning through to see Caley league positions at the moment.

Edited by RayBees

I wouldnt imagine it would be a patch on a Caley game so no surprise there. Any other matches planned soon? I might take in the County-Whitehill Welfare Scottish Cup game and the County-Raith match as well.

I take in a junior game most saturdays, often in the Glasgow area. Treat it as a day out - curry, a few beers, game, a few more beers, another curry and home. Was at the Glenrothes v Arthurlie Scottish cup tie a week last Saturday. Not sure what game, if any, I'll go to this week with the international being on.

Edited by PRS

Thanks for that. There was a Caledonian in the amateur league last time i checked.

Actually i just checked on the Inverness Amateur League website and Caledonian are nowhere to be found. However, Caley Shots have just won the 2nd division and there is also a Caley Inn.

Edited to say, oops, the tables date from 2006.

Edited by RayBees

Actually i just checked on the Inverness Amateur League website and Caledonian are nowhere to be found. However, Caley Shots have just won the 2nd division and there is also a Caley Inn.

Edited to say, oops, the tables date from 2006.

As far as I am aware, Caledonian play in the Welfare League, not the Amateur League, as they played Hopeman recently in the Welfare Cup.

As far as I am aware, Caledonian play in the Welfare League, not the Amateur League, as they played Hopeman recently in the Welfare Cup.

Thanks for that. I want to find out when and where Welfare League games are played. I fancy going to watch them.

I was brought up in Dalneigh and went to every home caley game from about 1977 onwards,I used to go watch them train also at the pitches beside dalneigh school, and ooh and ahh at the power of Roddy Davidsons shots and how Billy Macdonald was probably the best goalkeeper to grace the Highland league.

I was at Telford street in the pissing rain on a wed night versus Buckie with only 80 other souls and I bloody loved it.

At the very last game at Telford street,as soon as the final whistle went I ran onto the pitch and got the corner flag next to the turnstyles(Which I still have)

So I think I can call myself a Caley fan !

Now the merger which I was totally against happened,. and I know there was some skull duggery done on both parties part.

But to cut to the chase I go to ICT games now (boo hiss) and for the most I enjoy them.What I don't have though is the passion I once had for Caley,this I know I will never regain,but what I do have is Premier league football in my home town(city) now.

Now I tried to stay away from ICT after the merger but I thought to myself why should I not go ?

You just have to look at the number of ex Caley players who go to ICT games,Billy Urquhart,Roddy D,Billy Macdonald to name but a few, so if they can go then surely I would just swallow my pride and follow their example (which I did)

Now my father is one of these ex Caley fans who will not go to ICT games purely due to him being stubborn as a mule,yet when I go to visit him he always asks how so and so is playing for ICT, and what was the game like etc.

So in his own perverse way he still supports a team that he once loved and played for himself , but he just cant go the last yard and go watch ICT,which I find really sad.

So there you have it an ex Howden ender who goes to ICT games but does not have the same passion that he once did for " The super Caley"

Now my father is one of these ex Caley fans who will not go to ICT games purely due to him being stubborn as a mule,yet when I go to visit him he always asks how so and so is playing for ICT, and what was the game like etc. So in his own perverse way he still supports a team that he once loved and played for himself , but he just cant go the last yard and go watch ICT,which I find really sad.

He doesn't support them, he's just making sure he knows how much they are getting beat by. :lol:

I was brought up in Dalneigh and went to every home caley game from about 1977 onwards,I used to go watch them train also at the pitches beside dalneigh school, and ooh and ahh at the power of Roddy Davidsons shots and how Billy Macdonald was probably the best goalkeeper to grace the Highland league.

I was at Telford street in the pissing rain on a wed night versus Buckie with only 80 other souls and I bloody loved it.

At the very last game at Telford street,as soon as the final whistle went I ran onto the pitch and got the corner flag next to the turnstyles(Which I still have)

So I think I can call myself a Caley fan !

Now the merger which I was totally against happened,. and I know there was some skull duggery done on both parties part.

But to cut to the chase I go to ICT games now (boo hiss) and for the most I enjoy them.What I don't have though is the passion I once had for Caley,this I know I will never regain,but what I do have is Premier league football in my home town(city) now.

Now I tried to stay away from ICT after the merger but I thought to myself why should I not go ?

You just have to look at the number of ex Caley players who go to ICT games,Billy Urquhart,Roddy D,Billy Macdonald to name but a few, so if they can go then surely I would just swallow my pride and follow their example (which I did)

Now my father is one of these ex Caley fans who will not go to ICT games purely due to him being stubborn as a mule,yet when I go to visit him he always asks how so and so is playing for ICT, and what was the game like etc.

So in his own perverse way he still supports a team that he once loved and played for himself , but he just cant go the last yard and go watch ICT,which I find really sad.

So there you have it an ex Howden ender who goes to ICT games but does not have the same passion that he once did for " The super Caley"

Thanks for that mate. No one is going to question the fact that you are undoubtedly a Caley fan and i hope you can contribute some more of your memories from following them in the memorial thread. I understand your reasons for going to ICT games but i'm sure you'll understand that i don't feel the same way - I simply don't like ICT thats why i don't follow them, and i went to some of their early games. Also, i'm not surprised your passion for Caley isn't matched in the way you feel for ICT. Nothing could match that.

By the way, can i have that corner flag?! Edited to say Technically it is mine anyway as i was the ballboy and it was my job to collect them after games so that makes you a thief!

Edited by RayBees

Sorry the corner flag is kept at my parents house (under armed guard) so you should have been quicker after the final whistle ;)

I remember Bob Summers scoring a hatrick against Deveronvale in a 12-0 game

I honestly cannot remember Thistle ever beating Caley in a league game at Telford street.

I mind a guy called " Hogg " trying to shoot Jock Wallace with an air rifle while lying on the distillery roof in a match against Rangers.

Happy memories of going a whole season without getting a single defeat in the Highland League

I once through the ball back to Fraser Taylor and it hit him square on the nose (he cried honest)

Some guy standing beside me eventually asked me if it was true that Caley had underseat heating in the stand as he came especially up from England to witness this.(who ever told him this gets my utmost respect,but what a gullabe buffoon)

I remember the Telford street laundry catching fire during a game and everyone watching the fire instead of the game.

When I think of more I shall post again

I mind a guy called " Hogg " trying to shoot Jock Wallace with an air rifle while lying on the distillery roof in a match against Rangers.

:lol::lol::lol: - Quite simply one of the best things i've ever heard. I'd love to hear some more.

I remember a guy stealing Jim Calder's carton of Ribena from the back of the nets and drinking it.

I once called Gordon Connolly a cheat and he threatened to beat up my dad.

My mate Dave getting a kiss Scotland Euro '92-style from a hot looking policewoman at the Airdrie game at Broomfield.

Some guy crying his eyes out when we walloped Stenhousemuir 4-1 away in the Scottish Cup.

The pitch invasion at Rothes and me being too scared to join in.

Leaving with 5 minutes to go when we were 7-1 up at Nairn and finding out the next day that we scored twice more.

Going to buy a pie at Peterhead and literally not understanding a word of the woman in the shop.

Getting the "Football Special" train to the Stirling Albion Scottish Cup game and spending 8 or 9 hours on the train after the game was called off and the train broke down.

There's also more to come.

Thanks for that. I want to find out when and where Welfare League games are played. I fancy going to watch them.

I was involved in the running of Caledonian for several years we had a very good side until last year when unfortunately we got relegated. You think the SFA run a shoddy shop, Inverness Amateur / Welfare football is a hundred times worse it's hard to keep boys interested. Caledonian as it stands is basically a mix of the old Caledonian Amateur League team and a side called Caley Shots. The old Caledonian team was setup as a replacement when Caley went and Caley Shots started off as a works team with a good few anti merger boys who now play as one team (hope that makes sense !!!). Oh and if you're looking to see them play it's normally on a Tuesday at the Bught but can vary.

I was involved in the running of Caledonian for several years we had a very good side until last year when unfortunately we got relegated. You think the SFA run a shoddy shop, Inverness Amateur / Welfare football is a hundred times worse it's hard to keep boys interested. Caledonian as it stands is basically a mix of the old Caledonian Amateur League team and a side called Caley Shots. The old Caledonian team was setup as a replacement when Caley went and Caley Shots started off as a works team with a good few anti merger boys who now play as one team (hope that makes sense !!!). Oh and if you're looking to see them play it's normally on a Tuesday at the Bught but can vary.

I'll come along to watch a game definitely. Don't worry i'm well aware of the "organisation" of the Inverness Amateur League. I played for and helped to run a team for 1 season. Those meetings were torture!

I played a number of times against Caledonian in the amateur league,remember one particular game six or seven years ago, it was a cup semi final on a friday evening and we were winning one nil with one minute to go and they equalised with the last kick of the game

Totally gutted as it meant a further 30mins Extra time meaning we would be even later in Finlays :angry:

Just for the record there were no further goals and we got beat 5-4 on pens :angry:

If my memory serves me right they played in a top that was similar to Blackburn Rovers