Caledonian F.c. Thread

RayBees

Ok i'm just throwing this out there for curiosity: Does anyone know if the rights to the name "Caledonian" are owned by anyone?

I'm assuming, if there is an owner, it would be ICT.

I doubt that there would be any copyright on just 'Caledonian' but I would imagine that there is ownership of the name "Caledonian Football Club" and that probably lies with ICT.

SFA Rules dictate that you can't have another football team with an identical name to one from the past, but you can get around it by subtly changing the trading name. Hence Clach are officially "Clachnacuddin (1991) Ltd" or something like that and Deveronvale are now "Deveronvale 1994" legally.

There is a "Caledonian" playing in the Inverness Amateur or Welfare league though?

I doubt that there would be any copyright on just 'Caledonian' but I would imagine that there is ownership of the name "Caledonian Football Club" and that probably lies with ICT.

SFA Rules dictate that you can't have another football team with an identical name to one from the past, but you can get around it by subtly changing the trading name. Hence Clach are officially "Clachnacuddin (1991) Ltd" or something like that and Deveronvale are now "Deveronvale 1994" legally.

There is a "Caledonian" playing in the Inverness Amateur or Welfare league though?

Thanks for that. There was a Caledonian in the amateur league last time i checked.

Thanks for that. There was a Caledonian in the amateur league last time i checked.

As far as I know, they were formed by some Caley fans who were against the merger, for some reason!

I was at the Co-op on Telford Street last night and wondered out loud to my girlfriend that, since B&Q has now moved out to the Longman and its lying empty, that it would be quite a good space for a football ground and that i might buy a lottery ticket for the first time ever. Needless to say she gave me a look that was a mixture of confusion and pity...

I was at the Co-op on Telford Street last night and wondered out loud to my girlfriend that, since B&Q has now moved out to the Longman and its lying empty, that it would be quite a good space for a football ground and that i might buy a lottery ticket for the first time ever. Needless to say she gave me a look that was a mixture of confusion and pity...

Hmm..not sure to be honest. The canal is a bit of a problem on the other side of it for starters although a stadium might breathe life back into that side of town.

They'll never move from the longman i don't think, a pretty awful place to watch football for many reasons. (And they never should have moved there, if they had any sense they would have looked at the southern outskirts of town.

Hmm..not sure to be honest. The canal is a bit of a problem on the other side of it for starters although a stadium might breathe life back into that side of town.

They'll never move from the longman i don't think, a pretty awful place to watch football for many reasons. (And they never should have moved there, if they had any sense they would have looked at the southern outskirts of town.

Hey Hansa I wasn't talking about a new stadium for ICT. They could play underwater for all i care.

I really think the old B&Q is a decent sized area for a ground for, say a highland league team (created by a millionaire version of myself and called something like AFC Caledonian). Also, it has a good bit of shelter, is close to the town centre and quite a lot of houses. That whole area really isn't a patch on what it used to be since Caley Park was no more

Now to give those AFC Wimbledon guys a call...

I think I'm right in saying that other options were looked at and discounted. I think that the council were keen for us to move to the Longman for various reasons, opening up that part of town. The main problem with our ground was that we didn't put up any stands for eight years after moving there, meaning that the facilities and view were shite. Our ground is fine now.

No-one will ever build a football stadium for a Highland League team again, the cost is simply too high.

btw, RayBees, we appear to have been born on the same day. :blink:

Edited by ICTChris

btw, RayBees, we appear to have been born on the same day. :blink:

I noticed that Chris, belated birthday wishes. Do you know we share our birthday with, among others, P Diddy, First Lady Laura Bush, and famous American newsreader Walter Kronkite?

Still fundamentally flawed though, especially for pedestrians in terms of distance to town centre and dodging traffic.

There are many things wrong with ICT's stadium and i could talk for a long time about them but it's not relevant to Caley so i wont.

I noticed that Chris, belated birthday wishes. Do you know we share our birthday with, among others, P Diddy, First Lady Laura Bush, and famous American newsreader Walter Kronkite?

We were born on the day Ronald Reagen was elected President of the USA. It is very bizarre, I assume you were born in Raigmore, we must've been on the ward at the same time.

Still fundamentally flawed though, especially for pedestrians in terms of distance to town centre and dodging traffic.

It's rare to build a new stadium and not have that problem though. Where else can you build a ground that wouldn't be a walk away from the town centre? Besides, if you aren't driving to the game lots of grounds have a significant walk from, say, a train station to the ground.

As Raybees says though, offtopic.

WTF? No action on the Caley thread for some days now?! And with today being a particularly hilarous day for our chums down at Prefab Park it's high time we saw some more action round here.

Mr Raybees, I went to see East Stirling play Stenhousemuir today, a fairly tame derby that had me yearning for the atmosphere of the Howden End when the jags/county/elgin/clach dropped by. Heard the result from Prefab Park as I waited for the train from Falkirk. I've got to the stage where I really don't care what happens to them, well I admit I had a wee chuckle.

Edited by PRS

Okay, new topic. What was Caleys best ever display against a Highland League team? I remember County getting a few five goal drubbings and also being on the end of a 6-1 thrashing in the North of Scotland Cup in 77-78. I also remember Jags regularly being turned over by 4, 5 or more goals, but perhaps the best display came in a Qualy Cup tie against Keith in 71-72 as Caley came from 3 goals down at half time to win 4-3 with Donald Park getting the winner in the last minute.

Mr Raybees, I went to see East Stirling play Stenhousemuir today, a fairly tame derby that had me yearning for the atmosphere of the Howden End when the jags/county/elgin/clach dropped by. Heard the result from Prefab Park as I waited for the train from Falkirk. I've got to the stage where I really don't care what happens to them, well I admit I had a wee chuckle.

I know absolutely what you mean PRS.

I've thought the very same thing I've been to a few County games recently with Black Isle mates and, while its all fine and well to catch the odd games as a neutral, NOTHING takes away that feeling that i should be supporting MY team. You would think that this "nostalgia" would diminsh over time but it doesn't.

As for ICT, gloating at their failure is satisfying for about a minute, but it ultimately means nothing.

I know absolutely what you mean PRS.

I've thought the very same thing I've been to a few County games recently with Black Isle mates and, while its all fine and well to catch the odd games as a neutral, NOTHING takes away that feeling that i should be supporting MY team. You would think that this "nostalgia" would diminsh over time but it doesn't.

As for ICT, gloating at their failure is satisfying for about a minute, but it ultimately means nothing.

Bang on, Raybees. The nostalgia aspect does not diminish because we have loyalties that you cannot turn on and off like a tap. Going to games only reinforces what we are missing. Unlike those Caley/Jags fans who now watch ICT, our feelings were for Caley and are not transferrable to another club. Your team is for life. I really cannot be bothered hating ICT, its pointless, but I will never like them. A few more results like today and I might have the option of going to watch them against East Stirling. As if I could be bothered. Now Mr Raybees, in your opinion, what was Caleys best result against Highland League opposition?

Bang on, Raybees. The nostalgia aspect does not diminish because we have loyalties that you cannot turn on and off like a tap. Going to games only reinforces what we are missing. Unlike those Caley/Jags fans who now watch ICT, our feelings were for Caley and are not transferrable to another club. Your team is for life. I really cannot be bothered hating ICT, its pointless, but I will never like them. A few more results like today and I might have the option of going to watch them against East Stirling. As if I could be bothered. Now Mr Raybees, in your opinion, what was Caleys best result against Highland League opposition?

I have discovered a way to spot the difference between a decent genuine football fan and someone who is a tosser/just plain ignorant. It goes like this:

Other person: What team do you support?

Me: I don't have a team anymore, but i did support Caledonian.

Decent Genuine Football Fan: God, i'm sorry. It must be terrible to see your team die like that.

Tosser/Ignorant Twat: Oh you were one of those, but surely SPL football is good for Inver......

As for Caley's best result against Highland League opposition, I particularly loved a 2-1 Qualifying Cup win in Dingwall in about 92/93 ish and i also loved beating County 5-2 at Telford Street in The Final Season. Caley always seemed to hammer County in Inverness and I saw 4-1 wins twice i think. Mind you, we also took a few batterings away from home! I bloody hated Barry Wilson and he hated Caley.

Edited to add, PRS, I absolutely love that signature.

Edited by RayBees

"I have discovered a way to spot the difference between a decent genuine football fan and someone who is a tosser/just plain ignorant. It goes like this:

Other person: What team do you support?

Me: I don't have a team anymore, but i did support Caledonian.

Decent Genuine Football Fan: God, i'm sorry. It must be terrible to see your team die like that.

Tosser/Ignorant Twat: Oh you were one of those, but surely SPL football is good for Inver......"

Living in the central belt, I have been there several times. Generally find that supporters of smaller and junior clubs are likely to respond with "losing your team, cannot imagine how bad that must be" whereas old firm fans in particular cannot see anything but good in the merger. Now which of these groups are genuine supporters and which are glory hunters? Those that come out with the "its good for Inverness" arguement clearly do not have an emotional attachement to their club or they would not think like that.