Caledonian F.c. Thread

RayBees

which is why those bitter, angry little people ^_^ who have never seen a teamfrom inverness beat the best in the country, play in the top league, play at hampden etc etc should give it up

Can I ask how old you are Clacher? You may call them bitter and angry but TBH I doubt you're old enough to have wither Caley or Thistle in your heart in the way these guys did.

Guest clacher2

...and to back up caleyd here, caley and thistle arent just a memory, both clubs are very much at the heart of the current ict support and i hope they remain so for a very long time.

what has already started to take prominence when people talk about my team, especially from locals, is using the name INVERNESS. subconsciously these people are using the part of our name that has had the most influence and represents who the club really has been supported by over the years, the majority of invernessian football fans who have never supported a highland league team (for whatever reason). icts thousands of season ticket holders and average gate of near 5,000 is evidence enough that the town was crying out for an end to the 18th century 3 team shambles that was existing at the time, so parochial, inwardly focused and far too small for most to care about. as much as that meant to those involved in this topic and many in icts ranks, inverness has very much voted with its feet since the merger.

i can appreciate that raybees,prs and the rest feel theyve have been personally robbed by the merger but their loss has been to inverness and scottish footballs gain. just wish for their own good theyd shut up about wanting to see us die

And while your at it, draw a 100 mile circle around Inverness and see just how stupid that comment really is - unless of course you think 3rd division Caley would have had more appeal than St Johnstone, Dundee, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen.... :lol:

Those four are all more than 100 miles from Inverness. :lol:

Jealous? Oh aye, I wish I could travel all fucking day to watch my team get pumped rather than just travel between Aberdeen and Inverness and watch them get pumped.

The day you go down is the day I'm buying beer for everyone. I've already started saving, so hurry up.

Assuming we're not going as the crow flies then we'll just assume that although Caley could have "first dibs on nearly every player within 100 miles in every direction" that the other teams mentioned would only have first dibs on all those within a couple of dozen miles tops :wacko:

... icts thousands of season ticket holders and average gate of near 5,000 ...

That's not very impressive for an SPL side.

Somebody mentioend that ICTs best years are to come. That could well be true but those best years shall be at least a decade away if they are relegated this season.

Guest highlander
That's not very impressive for an SPL side.

Somebody mentioend that ICTs best years are to come. That could well be true but those best years shall be at least a decade away if they are relegated this season.

good point, well made for a Raith Fan., :lol:

Sorry to move slightly off topic here but is there any truth in the following statement made by one of my teachers a few years ago.

"Like Rangers and Celtic and Hearts and Hibs, Caledonian and Thistle were Protestant and Catholic teams"

As far as I am aware, no. The only religious link that I can think of to the teams is that I think I once read that the land at Inverness Thistle's ground at Kingsmills was owned by the Church of Scotland?

Can't say I ever heard that and never even considered it might be a case. The story about Kingsmills belonging to a church or something I have heard before, hence it becoming a social housing operation instead of the predicted supermarket I believe.

In other news, and slightly related, is it true the Heathmount Pub burnt down this week? It was the big white one near to where Kingsmills was.

Ther'e been a couple of old buildings put up in flames the last week or so. Craig Dunain last week and Viewhill House, the old Youth Hostel.

Nothing at the Heathmount as far as I know. Sounds like you're maybe getting the Kingsmills mixed up though, it's quite a bit up from the Heathmount. The Heathmount's in what you'd call Kingsmills but beside the Corriegarth Hotel, at the top of Stephen's Brae coming up from the Hight St.

When I started watching Caley in the late'60s, they were quite often referred to as the "Rangers of the North" based purely on them having a similar strip. Come Scottish Cup time, this cliche was often a favourite of journalists on national papers who found it an easy label. Thus the myth developed and in the late '80s/early 90s, when Caley took red back in to their strip, a few union jacks appeared amongst some of the younger fans, but ususally only at big games. I was very close the the club for a long time and I am certain I would have been aware of any religious links. To add to this, I knew plenty of catholic Caley fans.

The Thistle catholic myth, I reckon, is due to Celtic playing friendlies against them quite frequently in the '70s. These being the result of the Thistle chairman, Jock McDonald, being friendly with Jock Stein through the formers SFA role.

I think the Union flags at Telford Street might have had as much to do with the 'firm' Caley operated during the 80's.

As for the Heathmount, that was definitely the place we were in last Saturday night. Not entirely sure why, tho. Thistles old ground wasn't that far from there, surely. I remember the 'mount from my youth. :lol:

I think the Union flags at Telford Street might have had as much to do with the 'firm' Caley operated during the 80's.

As for the Heathmount, that was definitely the place we were in last Saturday night. Not entirely sure why, tho. Thistles old ground wasn't that far from there, surely. I remember the 'mount from my youth. :lol:

Sorry, thought you were meaning the Kingsmills hotel at first. :lol:

Aye, the football ground was quite close by.

Sorry, thought you were meaning the Kingsmills hotel at first. :lol:

Aye, the football ground was quite close by.

as far as im aware the heathmount hasnt burnt down;it isnt a listed building whos conversion into a cash cow has been dragging along so that should make it reasonably fireproof.

as regards caley-thistle/proddy-catholic;what drivel

Edited by highlandcowden

as far as im aware the heathmount hasnt burnt down;it isnt a listed building whos conversion into a cash cow has been dragging along so that should make it reasonably fireproof.

as regards caley-thistle/proddy-catholic;what drivel

I can confirm the Heathmount is still standing although Craig Dunain and the old youth Hostel have had minor fires in the past week. Was it insurance fraud or a serial arsenist? You decide.

I would've thought the Caley-thistle/proddy-catholic was drivel as PRS and highlandcowden have said - an easy and undeniably lazy attempt to bring central belt tedium into the highlands.

I can confirm the Heathmount is still standing although Craig Dunain and the old youth Hostel have had minor fires in the past week. Was it insurance fraud or a serial arsenist? You decide.

I would've thought the Caley-thistle/proddy-catholic was drivel as PRS and highlandcowden have said - an easy and undeniably lazy attempt to bring central belt tedium into the highlands.

your last bit hits the nail on the head perfectly;for those that cannot understand that there is interest in football beyond the gruesome twosome