Caledonian F.c. Thread

RayBees

I suppose younger generations, and time, will eradicate almost all memory of the two former clubs which is a pity.

And the huge success enjoyed by ICT will accelerate this process. Still, at least youngsters are now more likely to grow up supporting a local side rather than Rangers or Celtic.

why the primary concern was how happy a small clique of non football supporting/aberdeen supporting business people were regarding the football situation in the town is beyond me

Ooh. Nail on head I think.

FWIW, I know fans on both sides who to this day refuse to follow ICT. In fact they'd all rather go to a County game than to the dump which says a great deal about how they feel the fans were treated. I can't imagine what it must feel like to have your club's identity ripped apart like that.

This scenorio would never have happend if Scotland had a pyramid system were teams could enter year on year through the non-leagus and into the scottish league just like in most other countries then we could have seen if Caley could have done it by themselves. I never grew up with caley and are a born and bred Caley thistle fan.

Guest clacher2

"For the record, the vast majority of Caley fans were vehemently against the merger. "

then why did they vote in the majority to merge

the only people ive met in inverness who claim they are anti-ict/merger can usually be found in the chief or portland club wearing rangers tops, all of them claim they were against the merger in the early 90's but the voting figures dont add up

you have to remember the footballing climate in inverness at the time, everybody claimed to have a favorite team but on match days about 200 would turn up at each ground. if they were strongly against an spl side being formed in inverness then they shouldve been a bit more vocal at the time

so "boohoo", "bitter, blinkered Caley fans afraid of progress", "just look at the unbridalled success story of ICT now" and "aren't Tulloch Construction brilliant at pre-fab staiums" :rolleyes:

"For the record, the vast majority of Caley fans were vehemently against the merger. "

then why did they vote in the majority to merge

the only people ive met in inverness who claim they are anti-ict/merger can usually be found in the chief or portland club wearing rangers tops, all of them claim they were against the merger in the early 90's but the voting figures dont add up

you have to remember the footballing climate in inverness at the time, everybody claimed to have a favorite team but on match days about 200 would turn up at each ground. if they were strongly against an spl side being formed in inverness then they shouldve been a bit more vocal at the time

so "boohoo", "bitter, blinkered Caley fans afraid of progress", "just look at the unbridalled success story of ICT now" and "aren't Tulloch Construction brilliant at pre-fab staiums" :rolleyes:

Clacher, your total stupidity and ignorance is getting to be quite funny. Personally i don't go to the Chieftain or Portland and i make a point of not talking to Rangers fans so i can't comment on that but to say "about 200 would turn up at each ground" is total garbage. Never ever did i see a crowd that low at a Caley match. In fact, games against Thistle, County, Elgin would get a minimum of 1,500 and sometimes a lot more.

The dodgy merger vote has been well documented on this post. People were very vocal in their stance against it at the time. You were obviously tucked up in bed at the time or walked around with your hands over your ears going "lalalala i cant hear anything lalalala".

Is this the level of muppet who goes to ICT games these days? No wonder they can't even think up any songs.

And i thought you said you wouldn't post on this thread anymore. Bugger off!

Edited by RayBees

Guest clacher2

changed my mind mate, free country and all that

you coming down to the game this weekend v rangers or you heading to grant street?

changed my mind mate, free country and all that

you coming down to the game this weekend v rangers or you heading to grant street?

Ha ha, what do you think? An ICT-Rangers game is my vision of hell. Not following Clach either. My Saturdays are all Sky Sports News and Sportsound.

Are you a season ticket holder with ICT? And why is your name Clacher?

This thread is quality.

It is indeed quality - so much so I have decided to register and comment rather than just read posts!

I've only lived in Inverness for around three years so don't know much about the result of the actual vote other than what I've read here. It does sound that it was pretty close though. I cannot understand how it was close though!!

I know around four people who actually go to see ICT regualrly. They are outsiders (like myself) from the central belt who have season tickets. They are actually supporters of Edinburgh or Glasgow clubs but have cash to waste and want to go to the football. None of them have a preference for Caley or Thistle.

My old flat mate in Edinburgh was a Thistle fan and he actually does like ICT. He is the ONLY person I know who is a fan post merger. I know one other person who has told me they appproved of it at the time but chnaged his mind when they decided on the team name. He wanted Inverness Utd or Inverness Town or something along those lines.

Everybody else I know hates ICT and would rather go upto Dingwall

Clacher, you could go to both games. I may watch the first one in the pub then head to Grant Street and cheer on Huntly. Strangely, they were the first team I ever paid to see.

Oh, I can count on two fingers the number of times I've been to Portland Club or the Chieftain!

I often go to watch Clachnacuddin as i am a fan of both them and ICT a was actually at the Clach VS Cove Rangers game when Inverness won the First Division and i had being a keen follower of Ict for three years previous. I see nothing wrong in going to see both Clach and ICT as they are in two different leagues.

I know around four people who actually go to see ICT regualrly. They are outsiders (like myself) from the central belt who have season tickets. They are actually supporters of Edinburgh or Glasgow clubs but have cash to waste and want to go to the football. None of them have a preference for Caley or Thistle.

My old flat mate in Edinburgh was a Thistle fan and he actually does like ICT. He is the ONLY person I know who is a fan post merger. I know one other person who has told me they appproved of it at the time but chnaged his mind when they decided on the team name. He wanted Inverness Utd or Inverness Town or something along those lines.

The vast majority of our fans are from Inverness. There are plenty of old Caley and Thistle fans who go to games. I am 26 and the group of guys I go to the games with contain a few who went to Caley games and one who went to Thistle games. These guys dads are the same. If you go on the Caley website there are plenty of people who supported Caley or Thistle who go to the games. The first few seasons we were in the league I went to quite a few games on the supporters bus, the majority of the people on the bus were former Caley fans. The webmaster of the Caleythistleonline website was a Caley fan, as is the head of the the Supporters Trust, as is the guy who runs the Caley Nostalgia website, as are several people involved in running the Supporters Club in the past and present. Having gone to the games since ICT were elected to the league plenty of former Caley and Thistle fans go to the games. If anything Thistle fans are more underrepresented, many stayed away in the early days due to the perception of a takeover.

Everyone is entitled to their views of course.

The vast majority of our fans are from Inverness. There are plenty of old Caley and Thistle fans who go to games. I am 26 and the group of guys I go to the games with contain a few who went to Caley games and one who went to Thistle games. These guys dads are the same. If you go on the Caley website there are plenty of people who supported Caley or Thistle who go to the games. The first few seasons we were in the league I went to quite a few games on the supporters bus, the majority of the people on the bus were former Caley fans. The webmaster of the Caleythistleonline website was a Caley fan, as is the head of the the Supporters Trust, as is the guy who runs the Caley Nostalgia website, as are several people involved in running the Supporters Club in the past and present. Having gone to the games since ICT were elected to the league plenty of former Caley and Thistle fans go to the games. If anything Thistle fans are more underrepresented, many stayed away in the early days due to the perception of a takeover.

Everyone is entitled to their views of course.

i used to go and watch Caley home and away,over 40 games a season.Of the hardcore support(ie the ones able to drag themselves away from the pub to enable them to travel away)i know of very few that went to see the new abomination.Caley away was great!

Ok everybody, who were your 3 all time favourite Caley players? Here's mine:

1. WILSON ROBERTSON - Faster than Carl Lewis, probably. Wilsie was a hero to me and many others. There were times when he was utter gash, but most of the time he was the greatest player that ever lived. A winger of amazing pace, power, excitement, and dedication in that he travelled from Aberdeen for every game.
  2. BILLY URQUHART - Due to my youthful years i only caught the arse end of Billy's career but he was still an awesome hitman and header of a ball. Still spotted scoring double hattricks for the British Legion well into his pension years in the Inverness Amateur League. Legend.
  3. KEVIN MANN - Mr Versatile Kevin Mann traveled with Wilsie from Aberdeen and could play well anywhere. Came across as a genuine nice guy and thats what counts. Also looked a bit like a WW2 RAF pilot.

Whats yours?

Ok everybody, who were your 3 all time favourite Caley players? Here's mine:
  1. WILSON ROBERTSON - Faster than Carl Lewis, probably. Wilsie was a hero to me and many others. There were times when he was utter gash, but most of the time he was the greatest player that ever lived. A winger of amazing pace, power, excitement, and dedication in that he travelled from Aberdeen for every game.
  2. BILLY URQUHART - Due to my youthful years i only caught the arse end of Billy's career but he was still an awesome hitman and header of a ball. Still spotted scoring double hattricks for the British Legion well into his pension years in the Inverness Amateur League. Legend.
  3. KEVIN MANN - Mr Versatile Kevin Mann traveled with Wilsie from Aberdeen and could play well anywhere. Came across as a genuine nice guy and thats what counts. Also looked a bit like a WW2 RAF pilot.

Whats yours?

Roddie Davidson

Wad and Jimmy Gilmour for their attitude during the merger

Edited by highlandcowden

Got to agree with you there mate. I also loved Jimmy Gilmour during his brief spell at the club.

jimmy gilmour was one of those underrated players who played almost exclusively in the lower leagues but was an utterly class act.Mind his goal at Telford Street vs Fort William?Did Christie not get banjoed by Mikie Andrew in the dressingroom when whining about how much Gilmour was being payed,which would be enough again(if true)to secure legend status

jimmy gilmour was one of those underrated players who played almost exclusively in the lower leagues but was an utterly class act.Mind his goal at Telford Street vs Fort William?Did Christie not get banjoed by Mikie Andrew in the dressingroom when whining about how much Gilmour was being payed,which would be enough again(if true)to secure legend status

Struggle to narrow it down to three, so I am allowing myself five because I am a lot older than the rest of you!

Billy Urqhuart - "The Legend" whom I think made his Caley debut in a league match at Huntly in season 72-73, and appart from his seasons at Rangers and Wigan (78-81) and year ay Jordanhill (73-74), played for Caley to 1994. His loyalty and goalscoring record would be enough to give him legendary staus, but on top of that, was a Howden Ender. Nuff said

Freddie Nield - 1967-1975 - Without doubt, one of the most creative players I ever saw in a Caley shirt. Essentially a left winger who could also play midfield on occasion. Totally different player to Wilson - he had none of his pace, but could he cross a ball or split a defence with a pass. As well as that, on his game, he could roast any full back in the HL. Was outstanding for the Caley Thistle select that played the Celtic European Cup winning team (bar Ronnie Simpson) to the point Celtic made enquiries about him. A man with a laid back attitude, Freddie gave up the game in his late 20s.

Allan Presslie 1963 -1978 and was captain for most of these seasons. Another Aberdonian who was totally committed to Caley, Allan could play anywhere in the back four, but was probably best as a central defender. Not the tallest centre half and certainly not the fastest, but what great positional sense and coolness personified. Terrific leader on the park and a great ambassador of it. The Howden End got it right -"Theres only one king Presslie, thats Allan"

Davie Johnston - 1969 -1975 and a one time Caley record signing, bought from Aberdeen in summer of 1969 where he had been top scorer for at least one of his two seasons with the Dons. A Nairn man, who had joined Hearts as a youth, he came back to Highland League football with Nairn and was signed by Aberdeen in 1967 at the age of 25. He made an instant impact but did not take to full time football and returned to the HL with Caley. Equally effective as an out and out striker or as a winger. He hit 52 goals for Caley in season 69-70.

Kevin Mann - See previous comments. A model of consistency, another Aberdonian who travelled 14 years to Inverness and, if the LSM fanzine is correct (and I would never doubt it), was prone to singing Caley songs in Aberdeen pubs. Class on and off the pitch

I know 2 older gentlemen who refuse to have anything to do with the new team. I suppose younger generations, and time, will eradicate almost all memory of the two former clubs which is a pity.

Thats the aim. B)