Caledonian F.c. Thread

RayBees

Ok here it is by popular demand (even if it's only me and PRS). I'm sure Jaggies are allowed to contribute a small amount though.

Hey PRS I've been wondering what dya reckon Wilsie, Kevin Mann, et al are up to these days? They should be in some sort of Hall of Fame or something. Living legends!

When two clubs join forces and become one, it is called an amalgamation.

When were they founded? Not 1994 for sure.

You have always got to take the earliest foundation of the two joined clubs. That is when the history started. The youngest of the two clubs was the roots of foundation. Fact.

Were Livingston founded in 1974? No they were founded by a team called Ferranti Thistle in 1943.

Thistle and Caledonian never died, but were reborn through marriage, so get your facts right and all you hangers on to all the lies...........GIRUY!

Guest clacher2

lossie i couldnt give a monkies about the highland league mate, its made up of fisherman, bakers and places like rothes. i prefer the spl

the first round of merger voting for caley members ended something like 53-50 in favor of merging, the second round was about 260-250 after both sides of the argument press ganged support

so, 250ish people voted against ict being formed, we had an average home attendance (excluding away fans) about 19 times that last season.

im not going to post anymore on this topic as the reality of todays situation with regards to inverness football is that the merger was clearly a success. plus when posed the question about clubs being killed off it gives all the ex caley fans the chance to be smug as f#ck to the odd ex thistle fan who pops their head out of the gutter, so its all good

hello hello, we are the caley boys :whistle

lossie i couldnt give a monkies about the highland league mate, its made up of fisherman, bakers and places like rothes. i prefer the spl

the first round of merger voting for caley members ended something like 53-50 in favor of merging, the second round was about 260-250 after both sides of the argument press ganged support

so, 250ish people voted against ict being formed, we had an average home attendance (excluding away fans) about 19 times that last season.

im not going to post anymore on this topic as the reality of todays situation with regards to inverness football is that the merger was clearly a success. plus when posed the question about clubs being killed off it gives all the ex caley fans the chance to be smug as f#ck to the odd ex thistle fan who pops their head out of the gutter, so its all good

hello hello, we are the caley boys :whistle

Do you ever sing "We are the Thistle Boys"?

Guest clacher2

we hardly sing hello hello tbh

unlike the telford street days we dont have aspirations to become rangers bum chums anymore

cant think of any 'thistle' tunes off the top of my head

we hardly sing hello hello tbh

unlike the telford street days we dont have aspirations to become rangers bum chums anymore

cant think of any 'thistle' tunes off the top of my head

Caley never had "aspirations" to be Rangers bum chums. Now disappear back the ICT plastic stadium where you belong, no,on second thoughts,carry on as every posting you have put on here shows you have no understanding what it is to be a real fan and show ICT in a poor light.

When two clubs join forces and become one, it is called an amalgamation.

When were they founded? Not 1994 for sure.

You have always got to take the earliest foundation of the two joined clubs. That is when the history started. The youngest of the two clubs was the roots of foundation. Fact.

Were Livingston founded in 1974? No they were founded by a team called Ferranti Thistle in 1943.

Thistle and Caledonian never died, but were reborn through marriage, so get your facts right and all you hangers on to all the lies...........GIRUY!

as a queen of the south fan you know f**k all about the murder so keep your ill informed opinions to yourself

As an outsider can i ask a few simple questions?

Firstly, how did fans of both Caley and Thistle see the merger at the time?

Why was there a need to merge?

Could the new club not have been called, say Inverness FC and the existing two clubs could have remained in the Highland league, perhaps under a slightly different guise, if legalities said they could not technically continue?

And, now of the current fanbase, is there still any degree of animosity between fans of Caley and Thistle.

Lastly, when the club first played in 1994, why were Caley represented more predominantly than Thistle, in terms of club colours, the ground and players/staff?

As an outsider can i ask a few simple questions?

Firstly, how did fans of both Caley and Thistle see the merger at the time?

Why was there a need to merge?

Could the new club not have been called, say Inverness FC and the existing two clubs could have remained in the Highland league, perhaps under a slightly different guise, if legalities said they could not technically continue?

And, now of the current fanbase, is there still any degree of animosity between fans of Caley and Thistle.

Lastly, when the club first played in 1994, why were Caley represented more predominantly than Thistle, in terms of club colours, the ground and players/staff?

Man, i genuinely didn't want this thread to develop into an argument about the merger as it's been done to death and i know ICT fans will come on here blabbing crap like "boohoo", "bitter, blinkered Caley fans afraid of progress", "just look at the unbridalled success story of ICT now" and "aren't Tulloch Construction brilliant at pre-fab staiums" yada yada yada.... but here goes.

For the record, the vast majority of Caley fans were vehemently against the merger. There isn't a doubt about that. I can't really speak for Jaggies. The votes that were organised by the pro-merger board members would've made Robert Maxwell tip his cap in appreciation.

Secondly, there was no need to merge. Caley didn't need Thistle to go into the league. How could they when a smaller club like Ross County got into the league? Absolutely preposterous.

Thirdly, the idea of an Inverness FC being formed, in addition to Caley, Thistle and Clach, was never mooted as that would've been just stupid.

I've no idea about the current fanbase because i don't know any ICT fans.

Needless to say, the new team was dominated by ex Caley players/staff because Caley were a much bigger and better team than Thistle. The comically named Inverness Caledonian Thistle Club play in blue, red, and white.

I miss both Caley and Thistle.

Let's reminisce!

Man, i genuinely didn't want this thread to develop into an argument about the merger as it's been done to death and i know ICT fans will come on here blabbing crap like "boohoo", "bitter, blinkered Caley fans afraid of progress", "just look at the unbridalled success story of ICT now" and "aren't Tulloch Construction brilliant at pre-fab staiums" yada yada yada.... but here goes.

For the record, the vast majority of Caley fans were vehemently against the merger. There isn't a doubt about that. I can't really speak for Jaggies. The votes that were organised by the pro-merger board members would've made Robert Maxwell tip his cap in appreciation.

Secondly, there was no need to merge. Caley didn't need Thistle to go into the league. How could they when a smaller club like Ross County got into the league? Absolutely preposterous.

Thirdly, the idea of an Inverness FC being formed, in addition to Caley, Thistle and Clach, was never mooted as that would've been just stupid.

I've no idea about the current fanbase because i don't know any ICT fans.

Needless to say, the new team was dominated by ex Caley players/staff because Caley were a much bigger and better team than Thistle. The comically named Inverness Caledonian Thistle Club play in blue, red, and white.

I miss both Caley and Thistle.

Let's reminisce!

The inititial board was 5 Caley reps to 3 Thistle based on the relative assets of both clubs. Caley fans were very anti merger. For one thing they did not want their club to disappear into a merger, for another, they saw no reason why they should merge to enter the Scottish League. I have a good laugh at Clacher 2 coomets when he talks about the Inverness public "voting with their feet" and going along to watch ICT since 1994. Yup, they did vote with their feet. In spring of 1995, just over 400 turned up for a home match against Albion Rovers. No doubt there is a generation coming up who to whom the Caley and Thistle heritage means nothing, but the merger meant there are many football fans in Inverness who now do not attend football. I only know one Caley fan who watches ICT and that is on an occasional basis.

OK back to the thread topic.

I don't know if i can remember my first Caley game but i remember loving the fact that you could buy pies, sweets, etc in the shop at the back of the Howden End. And changing ends at half time up to the Comet End! Magic!

Well thanks for replying guys. I have a slightly clearer picture now of whats going on.

I hate the idea of plastic/franchise football clubs, but never really thought of ICT in that way. I knew that there was/is a small element of bitterness from both camps regarding the merger, but just kinda assumed that the majority saw it as a step up.

I never thought for a minute that a fair number of Caley/Thistle fans would stop supporting a club altogether.

I would hate anything like this to happen to Saints. It is unthinkable really when you get down to the bare bones of it all.

RIP CALEDONIAN FC AND INVERNESS THISTLE FC

I don't know if i can remember my first Caley game but i remember loving the fact that you could buy pies, sweets, etc in the shop at the back of the Howden End. And changing ends at half time up to the Comet End! Magic!

The first game I ever attended was a Caley Thistle select against Celtic at Telford Street in 1968. I had just began to take an interest in football. I was taken to see Celtic and came home a Caley fan. Have no idea why, it just was. There is a theory that many fans don't choose their team, it chooses them and that is exactly what happened to me. Whatever, from that day onwards, there was never going to any other team for me but Caley.

At that time it was widely acknowledged that only one team would get in from the north and that the second team would come from the south. At that stage County were the most succesful side in the league, and had just built a new stand with the promise of a new one to be built if they were succesfully elected. We certainly had a forward thinking board at that time, and I think Caley etc felt that if they went it alone their initial bid wouldn't have been as good as what County were promising. The Inverness clubs' respective boards certainly thought that a united bid would give them more weight to their election manifesto.

It was certainly a surprise to us that we actually got two north clubs elected. County were lucky in the respect that they were in the right place at the right time. Just six years previously before the appointment of Bobby Wilson we were sitting rock bottom of the Highland League

At that time it was widely acknowledged that only one team would get in from the north and that the second team would come from the south. At that stage County were the most succesful side in the league, and had just built a new stand with the promise of a new one to be built if they were succesfully elected. We certainly had a forward thinking board at that time, and I think Caley etc felt that if they went it alone their initial bid wouldn't have been as good as what County were promising. The Inverness clubs' respective boards certainly thought that a united bid would give them more weight to their election manifesto.

It was certainly a surprise to us that we actually got two north clubs elected. County were lucky in the respect that they were in the right place at the right time. Just six years previously before the appointment of Bobby Wilson we were sitting rock bottom of the Highland League

The reason for the merger was that Inverness and Nairn Enterprises would only give backing to this arrangement and would not support a bid from any of the existing teams in Inverness. It became clear quite early on that the candidates from the East of Scotland league were unlikely to get a place on basis of lack of support, finance etc and I do not think anyone was surprised that the place went to two highland clubs. Inverness was always going to get one of these places, based on the size of the town/city. Caley would have got in on their own.

The Caley pies, more slippery than the Clach defence. In my youth, the Comet End was the Distillery End as Glenalbyn Distillery stood where Comet is now. There was an enclosure there as well, but nothing like the Howden End.

A mate of mine from Edinburgh who watches junior and senior football came up for a league game against Thistle in, I think 1992/3 - it was the game where Wilson Robertson hit 30 yarder in the last minue to give us a 3-2 win - and he had to admit that the Howden End had one of the best atmospheres that he had experienced at any level of football.

There was something about the Howden End that other teams found intimidating and it was known outside of the Highland League. For Caleys Scottish Cup tie against Meadowbank Thistle in 1978 in Edinburgh, the programme, referring to the lack of atmosphere at Meadowbank, commented that they "did not have a Howden End" for their fans.

The reason for the merger was that Inverness and Nairn Enterprises would only give backing to this arrangement and would not support a bid from any of the existing teams in Inverness. It became clear quite early on that the candidates from the East of Scotland league were unlikely to get a place on basis of lack of support, finance etc and I do not think anyone was surprised that the place went to two highland clubs. Inverness was always going to get one of these places, based on the size of the town/city. Caley would have got in on their own.

re your last sentance,i agree.The caley support would still have their team as would the jags fans,all happy.why the primary concern was how happy a small clique of non football supporting/aberdeen supporting business people were regarding the football situation in the town is beyond me

The Caley pies, more slippery than the Clach defence. In my youth, the Comet End was the Distillery End as Glenalbyn Distillery stood where Comet is now. There was an enclosure there as well, but nothing like the Howden End.

A mate of mine from Edinburgh who watches junior and senior football came up for a league game against Thistle in, I think 1992/3 - it was the game where Wilson Robertson hit 30 yarder in the last minue to give us a 3-2 win - and he had to admit that the Howden End had one of the best atmospheres that he had experienced at any level of football.

There was something about the Howden End that other teams found intimidating and it was known outside of the Highland League. For Caleys Scottish Cup tie against Meadowbank Thistle in 1978 in Edinburgh, the programme, referring to the lack of atmosphere at Meadowbank, commented that they "did not have a Howden End" for their fans.

I would've said that Telford Street would've had a better atmoshpere than the Meadowbank Stadium but then so would any ground by all accounts. Or were Meadowbank even playing there then??

I've sadly only seen photos of the enclosure at the distillery/comet end although it looked a bit rickety. Did you manage to salvage any items from Telford Street after the demolition? I didn't get any myself. I'm still fuming that my uncle sold an entire suitcase full of programmes & fanzines that i had collected. What i would pay to get that back now.

I would've said that Telford Street would've had a better atmoshpere than the Meadowbank Stadium but then so would any ground by all accounts. Or were Meadowbank even playing there then??

I've sadly only seen photos of the enclosure at the distillery/comet end although it looked a bit rickety. Did you manage to salvage any items from Telford Street after the demolition? I didn't get any myself. I'm still fuming that my uncle sold an entire suitcase full of programmes & fanzines that i had collected. What i would pay to get that back now.

Have a few programmes, but I was never a collector and have all the LSM fanzines bar one. Lot of autographs from the late 60s and early 70s but that is about it. The Distillery End was rickety - it was a tin shed at best, but you could get a good sing song.

Meadowbank was a souless place at best. Would sometimes go there in my student days - atmosphere probably resembled an ICT home game.

Guest Hansa

I know 2 older gentlemen who refuse to have anything to do with the new team. I suppose younger generations, and time, will eradicate almost all memory of the two former clubs which is a pity.