Caledonian F.c. Thread

RayBees

• 3 weeks later...

Neither Thistle, or Caledonian died. They created a club out of both sides. Inverness CT are a great side, with a rich history. 

Inverness CT are not a franchise in anyway at all. They have not moved to a new city. They have combined the history of both previous clubs. 

26 minutes ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

Neither Thistle, or Caledonian died. They created a club out of both sides. Inverness CT are a great side, with a rich history. 

Inverness CT are not a franchise in anyway at all. They have not moved to a new city. They have combined the history of both previous clubs. 

^^^My team, Fort William aka Caley Colts.

Shut the f**k up.

He is.

I'd left Inverness by then, so seeing that old video was very memorificent (a new word I just invented) indeed.

I wonder, if I'd remained a Kingsmills regular, if I'd have felt more ire. I don't think so. Just annoyed by the preponderance of blue I think.

2 hours ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

f**k off

5 hours ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

Eh! From an old school Jaggie, utter pish. Take your Plastic FC & shove it.

• 2 weeks later...

At the risk of opening everything up again...given that Ross County got into the Scottish League at the same time, from a smaller and more remote place, why did it need a new, combined, Inverness side to make an application?   Could Caledonian, who seem to have been a lot bigger than the others at the time, have gone it alone and left Thistle behind in the Highland?  Or would that have meant Thistle also applying and splitting the vote?

On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 10:07, bluearmyfaction said:

At the risk of opening everything up again...given that Ross County got into the Scottish League at the same time, from a smaller and more remote place, why did it need a new, combined, Inverness side to make an application?  

I might be misremembering but I seem to recall Ross County having two or three really decent Scottish Cup runs in the years before being admitted and handed out a skelping or two to teams in the bottom tier of the SFL. Having a strong team that was known nationally might have been in their favour.

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I might be misremembering but I seem to recall Ross County having two or three really decent Scottish Cup runs in the years before being admitted and handed out a skelping or two to teams in the bottom tier of the SFL. Having a strong team that was known nationally might have been in their favour.

The timing worked in County’s favour. Elgin had a far better history but shat in their own nest (another long story). If they’d got in in 94 they’d be up there as  ICT’s rivals , but the novelty had worn off by the time they got in.
County had never been a big club and their only previous championship had been in 66 before Bobby Wilson’s great side won in 91 and 92.
Then on the Saturday before the vote (Jan 94) they went to Forfar and hammered them 4-0.

I actually saw their last ever Scottish Cup game as a HL side in the next round when they rather tamely went down 2-0 at Alloa in midweek. The only other decent run in this era was 90-91 when they had good replay wins at Alloa and QoS before going out 6-1 at home to Meadowbank. It’s probably the 6-2 win at Palmerston that makes you think of skelpings.
By the time the clubs were voted in, Steve Paterson’s Huntly  side were dominating the HL.

Edited by The Mantis

On 02/05/2020 at 10:07, bluearmyfaction said:

At the risk of opening everything up again...given that Ross County got into the Scottish League at the same time, from a smaller and more remote place, why did it need a new, combined, Inverness side to make an application?   Could Caledonian, who seem to have been a lot bigger than the others at the time, have gone it alone and left Thistle behind in the Highland?  Or would that have meant Thistle also applying and splitting the vote?

Thistle's chairman at the time was well in with the SFA and Caley were kind of talked into this merger to guarantee a successful application.

I always thought Caley should have gone it alone, but Thistle's chairman might have been able to stymie their application in that case. The two of them applying individually would definitely have split the vote.

12 hours ago, Snafu said:

Initially it was all three HL Inverness clubs but Clach pulled out and also it wasn't all about Caley, it was both clubs equally involved and Thistle had previously applied unsuccessfully back in the 70's. It seems like Caledonian because their ground and the colours were dominant in the first year but the Telford Street Park was more suitable and more cost effective than upgrading Kingsmills. Car park was far too small for example.

From my more southerly perspective it looked more Caley because they'd had the success in recent years and both Clach and Thistle had been struggling.  Thistle seem to have lost out to Ferranti in the seventies because so many HL teams pitched in that it split the vote several ways.  By the time that had all been sorted out, there was momentum behind another team in Edinburgh.  20 years after they forced Leith out.  Bizarre.

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

It’s probably the 6-2 win at Palmerston that makes you think of skelpings.
By the time the clubs were voted in, Steve Paterson’s Huntly  side were dominating the HL.

I think it was. Looking back at other results around that time they smashed Forfar 4-0, as you say, but also put 11 past St Cuthberts. Their 7-4 defeat to Berwick also stuck out. That team seemed to like scoring goals

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I think it was. Looking back at other results around that time they smashed Forfar 4-0, as you say, but also put 11 past St Cuthberts. Their 7-4 defeat to Berwick also stuck out. That team seemed to like scoring goals

That hammering of St Cuthbert Wanderers was mad. Some great highlights here:

https://youtu.be/gdVWPd4Ju3M

37 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

That hammering of St Cuthbert Wanderers was mad. Some great highlights here:

https://youtu.be/gdVWPd4Ju3M

Whitehill won the South Q-Cup that year, beating St Cuthberts 5-0 in the final. The Scottish draw had already been made and I saw Bobby Wilson on the way out and I told him they would probably only need 9 men and he just laughed. Apparently they tried to big up St Cuthberts before the match in case the County players got complacent.