Caledonian F.c. Thread

RayBees

15 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I don't know why this is in the Caledonian thread.

Unless its so us Caley fans can gloat?

Which of course none of us would ever do................................................

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/07/2015 at 16:00, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I pop into this thread every now and then, so apologies if I've missed it, but a few questions for Inverness football folk

1- Is it mostly Caledonian fans who are bitter about the merger? Did Thistle fans have the same animosity?

2- Did many then go to watch Clach afterwards?

3- Why didn't a Caledonian FC (1995) get set up by the fans to remain in the Highland League?

4- See question number 5

5- See question number 4

According to the centenary book, “Caley All the Way” , the name was “no doubt chosen by the proximity of the Caledonian Canal”, which had been completed 30 years prior to Caleys formation.

1 hour ago, PRS said:

According to the centenary book, “Caley All the Way” , the name was “no doubt chosen by the proximity of the Caledonian Canal”, which had been completed 30 years prior to Caleys formation.

So not certain then?  There must be somebody out there that knows? 
Caley had a magic about them.

That farcical merger with Thistle ( when Caley could easily have entered the Scottish league alone )  has made Inverness lose its soul in footballing terms.

Even the site of Caley’s new stadium is a disaster.

1 hour ago, Peter Robertson said:

So not certain then?  There must be somebody out there that knows? 
Caley had a magic about them.

That farcical merger with Thistle ( when Caley could easily have entered the Scottish league alone )  has made Inverness lose its soul in footballing terms.

Even the site of Caley’s new stadium is a disaster.

The book isn’t clear as to the origins off the name and tbh, I doubt if anyone knows the definitive answer to this now.

The merger will always grate with me and it was Jags Jock McDonald who was the architect of the merger as Jags were approaching bankruptcy and saw the opportunity to destroy Caley at the same time. Horrible, bitter man rather than a visionary 

Cannot comment on the new stadium. Have never been there.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Tragic news. I heard at the weekend that Dave Mackay, who posted on here as PRS, has passed away. For anybody who knew him, the funeral is at Warriston Crematorium at 2pm on Friday 22nd.

Sorry to hear this, always enjoyed his posts on here. RIP Dave. 

12 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I was up in Inverness at the weekend and heard John Beaton died recently too, is that true?

Aye, just checked and it was July 22. We also lost Alan Hercher this year, and ex directors Ken Thomson and Hugh Crout, and David Balfe a couple of weeks ago, who wrote the club song in 1996.

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/11/2019 at 19:10, The Mantis said:

Tragic news. I heard at the weekend that Dave Mackay, who posted on here as PRS, has passed away. For anybody who knew him, the funeral is at Warriston Crematorium at 2pm on Friday 22nd.

This is upsetting. Dave was a lovely guy who I met a few times when he returned to Inverness. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Spent last night and this morning reading through the many pages on this thread. Brought back lots of great and some not great memories.

Well done Ray Bees for bringing it altogether.

I was going to come back with some memories of my own and questions that I hoped would be answered by Caley's very own Norris Mcwhirter. 

Very saddened to read that PRS passed away in November.

Edited by Caley Scarf On
Spelling

• 3 weeks later...