Caledonian F.c. Thread

RayBees

• 1 month later...

Been meaning to post on this thread for a while, the whole merger is something I have never really got my head round. 

Am I right in thinking, the case for merging was to enhance chances of being allowed into the league? 

Obviously ICT gates aren't anything to write home about given the size of the city, so is there still ill feeling towards the club? Given that they formed in 1994? You'd think that gates would have improved by now. I suppose Old Firm dominance still rules. 

I actually played with Hercher's son (also named Alan) in a North of Scotland side a few years back, cracking defender with a sweet left foot, and a lovely lad. Was sad to read that his Dad had passed away. 

There's still as many Rangers, Celtic and Aberdeen fans in the city as there was at the time of the merger.  Maybe even more now than then given the population growth since then.  

Glaswegians moving up here already supporting the OF.  Means any kids they have will support the OF.  And the born and bred Invernessians who support them, never having been to a game of course, are now having kids and sticking them in Celtic and Rangers kits.

• 1 month later...
On 15/10/2018 at 09:40, TheScarf said:

There's still as many Rangers, Celtic and Aberdeen fans in the city as there was at the time of the merger.  Maybe even more now than then given the population growth since then.  

Glaswegians moving up here already supporting the OF.  Means any kids they have will support the OF.  And the born and bred Invernessians who support them, never having been to a game of course, are now having kids and sticking them in Celtic and Rangers kits.

I see more Caley Thistle strips on kids around town than the ugly sisters the last 2 or 3 years. Helps that the Celtic shop got burnt and the Rangers Social got turned into a Mosque. :lol: Ross County have more fans than Caley Thistle, makes me think a lot of Thistle and Caledonian fans thought f**k this but still wanted their football, even if they had to join the tinkers. I guess the Clach would have seemed like too close ex-rivals.

Edited by welshbairn

On 20/11/2018 at 20:40, welshbairn said:

I see more Caley Thistle strips on kids around town than the ugly sisters the last 2 or 3 years. Helps that the Celtic shop got burnt and the Rangers Social got turned into a Mosque. :lol: Ross County have more fans than Caley Thistle, makes me think a lot of Thistle and Caledonian fans thought f**k this but still wanted their football, even if they had to join the tinkers. I guess the Clach would have seemed like too close ex-rivals.

A successful Ross County team in the HL had a bigger support than Caley or Thistle,  so no real change there, plus whilst County got support from the whole of Ross Shire, none of the Inverness clubs got much support from outside of  the sneck.  I have heard that a few Thistle fans elected to follow County but I very much doubt if any Caley fans would ever support County as the rivalry was too strong.  Sadly, most of the people I stood with on the Howden End no longer attend football and have been lost to the game.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 20:40, welshbairn said:

I guess the Clach would have seemed like too close ex-rivals.

Petty tribalism. In a town the size of Inverness (it's not a city, it's just a town, no, really, it's just a big town), tribalism is laughable. Clach in recent years have had more downs than ups, but, if it's your team then it's YOUR  team.  

Spent the first 40 years of my life in Inverness and feel no connection whatsoever with ICT.

Edited by oldbitterandgrumpy

I don't know a single former Thistle fan who follows ICT- a few support clach, two go to County games out of spite towards ICT but the rest have just stopped going from what I can tell. There's far, far too many people in Inverness who'd rather go down the road every week to scream for either of the bigot brothers. The County supporters bus I sometimes get on that stops at Inshes is usually ten minutes or so after a minibus of Celtic fans go down the road.

• 4 months later...
Never really bothered to post on forums normally just read them but when I seen this topic felt I had to post -
From the age of 6 till 18 I was a huge Caley fan from the first time I seen them play in a Scottish Cup match when we beat Albion Rovers 2-1 to our last ever game when we lost 2-1 at Huntly (think that's right memory is a bit hazy of that day due to alcohol intake ). I can't suffer ICT and agree wholeheartedly with people who refer to them as a plastic football team the whole way the merger was handled by the people who wanted it was a disgrace from start to finish from the buying of season tickets to the banning of anti merger season ticket holders. I always followed Dundee United as my Premier League team and have to say was not overly bothered when they lost to Gretna on Saturday as it kept that excuse of a football team bottom, what a shame a legend like Craig Brewster chooses to be associated with them. [emoji20]

You were correct about caleys last match. I was at it.

23 hours ago, andyeufc said:

Genuinely thought we (huntly) won that game as well?!

Def 1-1, Wilson Robertson scored for the Caley - I was at the game, sober! 

12 hours ago, PRS said:

Def 1-1, Wilson Robertson scored for the Caley - I was at the game, sober! 

Rougvie put Pele’s heroes ahead, Wilsie levelled. Nothing stopping you getting pished btw as I was driving ;)

9 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Rougvie put Pele’s heroes ahead, Wilsie levelled. Nothing stopping you getting pished btw as I was driving ;)

And you overtook Baltachas car on the way there! 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, bmills said:

Highlights of Caley v Airdrie from 1990 now on YouTube.

Loved the cameraman trying to find the ball in the blizzard and the celebrations! :lol:

P.S. Did they not have orange footballs in 1990?

Edited by welshbairn

• 2 months later...