Town Characters

John Bain was indeed a Falkirk legend. I'm sure he did work for the BBC at some point. He had loads of nicknames, most notably from my time was 'the Colonel'.

I'm loving the nicknames of the Boombox Boy. We called him John Michel Jarre man (which is not all that original).

I also liked an old coagie called 'Cuban heel's man'. He used to lick the plates in the polish club.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There should really be some sort of website dedicated to these people. Somewhere you could post photos and recount stories about the weirdos and jaiks in your local area.

Combine Lithgae, Bo'ness and Falkirk and the site would crash due to an overload of submissions.

Does anyone recall C-Bear from the Carronshore area? When I stayed in Skinflats he used to take his dog behind the town hall and feed it Buckfast then sexually fiddle with it.*

(*may or may not be rumour)

Guest stennyhibee
Combine Lithgae, Bo'ness and Falkirk and the site would crash due to an overload of submissions.

You're not wrong! There does seem to be a very high proportion of the people mentioned so far as living in Falkirk area!

Anyone want to start this up as I've no idea how to make a website?

I didnt want to add this at the start for the fear of boring people about one man, but Baldy Hartley once sat next to me on the train back from Newcastle. He goes there quite a bit for some reason. He had a chippy with him but he was speaking to each chip before he had it. "Too much salt on you ya little bugger" and stuff like that.

He then started speaking to a normal man on another table who had some cans. Hartley was offered one but complained that it wasn't cider. Anyway, he eventually went to sit next to the normal guy but I think he was just gettin the piss ripped out of him. Proberbly backfired when he realised how stinkin Hartley was.

I didnt want to add this at the start for the fear of boring people about one man, but Baldy Hartley once sat next to me on the train back from Newcastle. He goes there quite a bit for some reason. He had a chippy with him but he was speaking to each chip before he had it. "Too much salt on you ya little bugger" and stuff like that.

:lol:

Brilliant!

You're not wrong! There does seem to be a very high proportion of the people mentioned so far as living in Falkirk area!

Anyone want to start this up as I've no idea how to make a website?

:lol: Good plan! Dunno how to do it either, need 2 find someone who does. Could be a good idea to add a link where jakies can fill in their own bios, a free and easy way to gain "celebrity status" :lol:

Guest stennyhibee
:lol: Good plan! Dunno how to do it either, need 2 find someone who does. Could be a good idea to add a link where jakies can fill in their own bios, a free and easy way to gain "celebrity status" :lol:

You can't beat a good Jakie. If this were to be made it would easily be my favourite website.

There is a guy that cuts about Falkirk town centre that I think seems himself as the natural successor to John Bain. He is a bit portly, has greying quite bouffant hair and can often be seen in ASDA. Never to be seen without a carrier bag, or occasionally a wee trolley thing.

He walked past me the other day and said "Captain of the ship eh." and saluted.

Anyone recognise the guy I am talking about?

You can't beat a good Jakie. If this were to be made it would easily be my favourite website.

I'd possibly add my own bio, just for a laugh. I think there could be a 'crowning moments' section, where jakies give an account of their daftest moments when shitfaced. Like fudge, it could be sponsored by MD20-20.

Edited to add: Anyone able to do this will at least get a few good ideas off this thread. Bloobell, if u know how to create a website could u take this into consideration?

There is a guy that cuts about Falkirk town centre that I think seems himself as the natural successor to John Bain. He is a bit portly, has greying quite bouffant hair and can often be seen in ASDA. Never to be seen without a carrier bag, or occasionally a wee trolley thing.

He walked past me the other day and said "Captain of the ship eh." and saluted.

Anyone recognise the guy I am talking about?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No but I wish I did. :)

Does anyone else recognise Falkirk's and Stenny's proximity to the fumes of Grangemouth as the main reason for such an abundance of oddballs in such a relatively small area.

We have a guy in Paisley, he's about Mid-Late 30's. Bleaches his hair, walks about the town with his top off and a cap on at a ridiculous height. He's always either scotting about the town centre with his staffy or on a bike and hangs about with other neds 20 years younger than him. You woludn't look at him twice if he wasn't so fucking old and stupid looking.

There also used ot be a tramp who'd give you a sob story every single weekend and if you didn't give him money, he'd shuffle after you pleading 'please......pleeeease' until you reached a pub. Almost no level of 'f**k-offs' could get rid of this guy and you wouldn't want to touch him as he was totally harmless and for fear of catching rabies. Mad thing was that some women would give him £5 a time. Haven't seen him for about 3 or 4 years now right enough.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No but I wish I did. :)

I think that as well as a jakeys website, another one dedicated to the more quirky, less jakey type of person could generate a lot of interest.

Edited for shite spelling.

a guy called duncan is a knowen wonderer for aberdeen! also knowen as noddy,dangley dan,eddie wobble heedie!

he spends his days wondering bout the town raking in bins etc and dressing up in womens clothes and carrying random objects from his travels!

guy is a leg end

Guest XaaronPrimus
a guy called duncan is a knowen wonderer for aberdeen! also knowen as noddy,dangley dan,eddie wobble heedie!

he spends his days wondering bout the town raking in bins etc and dressing up in womens clothes and carrying random objects from his travels!

guy is a leg end

Sounds like Shakey Head Man

Archived