Town Characters

'Mr Thompson'. Residents of Overton Mains will be familiar with him.

He once wrote an advertisement looking for a girlfriend and put it in the post office's window.

At the bottom of the advertisement he wrote "Must have own teeth."

Funny as fuck if not a little tragic.

He also writes in to the Fife Free Press on a weekly basis complaining about all kinds of shit. :lol:

Peter Dow? :unsure:

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember the guy Tam that used to sell rolls and sausages from a caravan outside the High School. He was a total soak, and one day this Harry Potter-looking chap asked him for some tomato sauce.

Tam just went "Listen tae me, four eyes, there's nah fucking sauce!". Bit harsh, likes. His van closed down after some questionable hygiene practoces. The guy had a massive red nose too, he was a total soak.

There's was a guy in perth that used to always walk up and down the main high street....we used to call him "About turn"...cause every time you said "about turn" he would actually turn and head in the opposite direction so every time we passed him we would say "about turn"...found out later he was a patient down from the local mental hospital.

Guest stennyhibee
I remember the guy Tam that used to sell rolls and sausages from a caravan outside the High School. He was a total soak, and one day this Harry Potter-looking chap asked him for some tomato sauce.

Tam just went "Listen tae me, four eyes, there's nah fucking sauce!". Bit harsh, likes. His van closed down after some questionable hygiene practoces. The guy had a massive red nose too, he was a total soak.

Did he not swig from a bottle of Whiskey as he flipped the burgers?

Guest Five and Twenty Past

I'll go for 'about the countryside' rather than 'about town':

East Lothian has the requisite number of (sometimes reported) jakies/alcies/drink problems. However, I will introduce you to the Junk Brothers who are usually to be found on the local bus routes attempting to cart some piece of second-hand household/garden furniture/appliance from one location to another - they generally demolish a 6-pack of Coke on their travels as well.

Watty Orr/Rawhide/Captain Jack whatever the f**k he's called.

Walks the circular route every day come rain, snow or shine. Looks like Frueddy Krugar with long grey hair. He will always wave to you if you peep at him when going by in the car.

Likes - Super Tennents.

Dislikes - Giving you a chase whilst blootered on Super Tennents.

He's always in the Crown before the Stenny games.

Also been in on a Sunday a few times and he's a keen Domino player. Happy whilst winning but aggresive in defeat.

Scotland Man - Walks round Aberdeen in Full Tartan dress, every day. Looks similar to something out of Braveheart. Is also known to carry a hold-all which has a saltrie design on it. Incidentally, he is Russian.

There is a guy like that in Dumfries, except he is American, owns a B&B I think, and that's it's selling point - owner in tartan

There is an old guy, that dresses up ALL the time - I mean all the time. One day he'll be a cowboy in full cowboy attire, complete with hat and leather jacket with the tassels at the back. The next day he'll be a minister-type character. And this is perfectly normal apparently

There was an older guy that used to walk about Falkirk drunk all the time. John. Ginger-ish hair.

He was actually at school with my Mum. I always felt sorry for him, he was never abusive or anything. My Mum actually told me he was an extremely intelligent man, he was a lawyer and was just tipped over the edge by an incident (which no-one seemed to remember what it was). He lost everything. I think he's dead now, not seen him in years. :(

Watty Orr/Rawhide/Captain Jack whatever the f**k he's called.

Walks the circular route every day come rain, snow or shine. Looks like Frueddy Krugar with long grey hair. He will always wave to you if you peep at him when going by in the car.

Likes - Super Tennents.

Dislikes - Giving you a chase whilst blootered on Super Tennents.

How could I have forgotten Rawhide?

When you drive past him in the car, he turns round and gives you a massive wave, as if its an automatic quality of his.

There was an older guy that used to walk about Falkirk drunk all the time. John. Ginger-ish hair.

He was actually at school with my Mum. I always felt sorry for him, he was never abusive or anything. My Mum actually told me he was an extremely intelligent man, he was a lawyer and was just tipped over the edge by an incident (which no-one seemed to remember what it was). He lost everything. I think he's dead now, not seen him in years. :(

John, with the handlebar moustache.

His wife dying was the reason he turned so hard to drink.

Very intelligent guy, some of his drunken ramblings had real gems of wisdom in them.

Sadly no-one really gave him the time of day.

Kim, a busker who has no musical talent and sells tinky trinkets from his stall. He rides his bike into shops and is a complete, utter, total c**t who should be put in jail.

Guest XaaronPrimus
Shakey Head Man - Says it all really

Scotland Man - Walks round Aberdeen in Full Tartan dress, every day. Looks similar to something out of Braveheart. Is also known to carry a hold-all which has a saltrie design on it. Incidentally, he is Russian.

Cider Man - Says it all really.

I've seen Shakey Head Man with a childs push chair over his shoulders, RiG has seen him in a dress, my mate has seen him with his feet sticking out one of the big dumpster style bins

and which Cider Man? There are a few to choose from.

And I want to cut Peter Dow's bells off!!!

John, with the handlebar moustache.

His wife dying was the reason he turned so hard to drink.

Very intelligent guy, some of his drunken ramblings had real gems of wisdom in them.

Sadly no-one really gave him the time of day.

The very man. He did always say hello to my Mum if she passed him, so he did remember her from school. Sad indeed. :(

Guest stennyhibee
There are a good few of them that congregate at ASDA in Falkirk town centre.

Some well scary sights.

You're not wrong. One drinks White Lightning constantly and looks like he's from Dawn of The Dead. Another two were fighting over a sanswich the other day also... It was handbags but very entertaining. A third had found a womans hand-bag and announced very loudly that he was taking the money then handing the bag in to the police accross the road. :blink:

I think the existence of this guy was an urban legend in itself.

My mum told me he used to be a headteacher, my mate's mum said he was a lawyer and another mate's mum said he used to be a detective in the police.

I expect he was just a jake.

Only one I can think of is Old Hughie, he's about 80 odd and seems to know a lot of 20 and 30 somethings in Lithgae. Hopefully Bloobell and central staggie will make mention of him if they look at this topic. They'll probably mention a few others that I've missed.

Archived