Town Characters

Not sure if it's already on here, but in Thurso (and I believe he'd also be seen in Wick) we had Dowpy Dan

Looked like your archetypal tramp, grubby, huge bushy beard, worn out shoes etc. always moving, reputedly picked up used fag-ends (hence "Dowpy")

Never spoke to him myself (was way too young) but I was lead to believe he was actually well spoken and intelligent

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to work in Finnieston in Glasgow and there was an old homeless guy who would sleep under the M8 flyover and light fires there out of rubbish to stay warm. Really sad to see when you're walking by and my colleagues and I resolved to try and help him in some way. We happened to mention the guy to the manager of the Spar on the Broomielaw and he said the guy was a regular customer and always pays by credit card and tops up his pay as you go phone. We thought he must be thinking of someone else, but sure enough we saw him in person numerous times talking on a mobile. One Friday night I headed into Milngavie straight from work and found him walking through Milngavie town centre. We could only reckon he must not have been homeless and was an eccentric who slept rough by choice but had a home somewhere, hence being able to charge his phone and possess a credit card.

I used to work in Finnieston in Glasgow and there was an old homeless guy who would sleep under the M8 flyover and light fires there out of rubbish to stay warm. Really sad to see when you're walking by and my colleagues and I resolved to try and help him in some way. We happened to mention the guy to the manager of the Spar on the Broomielaw and he said the guy was a regular customer and always pays by credit card and tops up his pay as you go phone. We thought he must be thinking of someone else, but sure enough we saw him in person numerous times talking on a mobile. One Friday night I headed into Milngavie straight from work and found him walking through Milngavie town centre. We could only reckon he must not have been homeless and was an eccentric who slept rough by choice but had a home somewhere, hence being able to charge his phone and possess a credit card.

I think I know the guy you mean. He once sat infront of me on the train. He put his rucksack on the seat took out a slightly dirty wine glass and a bottle of red wine (no' Bucky or anything, decent enough looking stuff) poured it into the glass and slowly drank it. I didn't really know what to do so I stuck headphones in and played Football Manager without looking up all the way to Central. He continued to pour, drink and refill the whole time. Bizarre.

We have a high class type of nutter in Milngavie.

I think I know the guy you mean. He once sat infront of me on the train. He put his rucksack on the seat took out a slightly dirty wine glass and a bottle of red wine (no' Bucky or anything, decent enough looking stuff) poured it into the glass and slowly drank it. I didn't really know what to do so I stuck headphones in and played Football Manager without looking up all the way to Central. He continued to pour, drink and refill the whole time. Bizarre.

We have a high class type of nutter in Milngavie.

Is that the guy who used to stoat about all the time in a long manky black coat, with a wiry beard and Davey Crockett hat? I remember him having a bit of a run in with one of my mates for having the gall to offer him a rolly, days after following him round Finnieston for the best part of an hour demanding baccy.

Fuckin yes! My old office looked onto George Square and this dude was me and my workmates favourite. His exercises are bonkers and seem to have absolutely no physical benefit whatsoever. We thought it had "Seedorf" on the back of his top so named him that.

Eta. Does anyone know what happened to Casper? Was well known around City Centre for looking like he'd stepped out of a 90's rave. Had mad multicoloured tassles on his head, a hi vis jacket and would always be dancing along to his casette player. Spoke with him a few times and was always exceptionally friendly.

Here he is earlier in the thread.

Also mentioned few pages later as The Electric Scarecrow. I imagine he's dead but like to think he hasn't. Think he had a rough life and was a former junkie.

Just thought I'd put your mind at rest, he is very much alive and well(as can be expected!). He lives (way too)near me in the Southside and has calmed down a wee bit, both in terms of his behaviour and dress sense. He's put on a bit of weight and now favours an array of multi coloured bandanna's matched up with bright Green or Orange body warmer that's a size too big for him, with white trousers/jeans and those slip on Tan Work Boots you see guys on building sites wearing. Often to complete the look he has a laptop bag slung over his shoulder.

Just thought I'd put your mind at rest, he is very much alive and well(as can be expected!). He lives (way too)near me in the Southside and has calmed down a wee bit, both in terms of his behaviour and dress sense. He's put on a bit of weight and now favours an array of multi coloured bandanna's matched up with bright Green or Orange body warmer that's a size too big for him, with white trousers/jeans and those slip on Tan Work Boots you see guys on building sites wearing. Often to complete the look he has a laptop bag slung over his shoulder.

This news makes me very happy. Glad to hear he's still rocking it, just a bit more discreetly.

Is that the guy who used to stoat about all the time in a long manky black coat, with a wiry beard and Davey Crockett hat? I remember him having a bit of a run in with one of my mates for having the gall to offer him a rolly, days after following him round Finnieston for the best part of an hour demanding baccy.

That's the fella! A total fucking mystery him.

There's a guy who lives near me (some of you in Aberdeen have probably seen him as well). Really tall guy with long hair and a beard, always immaculately dressed.

Walks without a set direction with a really far away look in his eye. Only first seen him a few years ago. Rumour has it he used to be a postie who accidentally OD'd and suffered a mental breakdown. I'm sure he's a nice enough guy but he also looks the type that'll make you nervous when walking behind you

Anyone ever seen the Catweazel lookalike who wanders the miles of West Lothian with his full length beard , ripped Orange boiler suit and wellies??

See the guy stoating about beside redmill in East Whitburn pretty much everyday. The trousers have seen better days definitely.

• 1 year later...

There was also the lady that ended up on 'Neighbours from  Hell' who lived on Brooms rd called â€‹Vida Paul she had like 15 dogs, before the council kicked her out of her house because it was a such a state. She was/is fucking mental and was a massive hoarder. 

Tbh Dumfries High Street is full of weirdos. 

Auld Vida was rehoused somewhere else in Dumfries and fell out with the neighbours there. The last I heard she was living in Lockerbie and there was a bit in the local paper several months ago that the neighbours there were complaining about her too. Things must be bad when Lockerbie people are complaining about rough neighbours.  

There was also the auld dear who lived at the corner of Rae Street in Dumfries who went around town feeding stray cats. The house is empty now and she hasn't been seen for a while so she's either croaked or in a home.

Archived