Town Characters

Don't know if this has been done before, but who are the characters/weirdo's that live in your town or area? Everywhere has them. Ill start off with a couple:

Bobby Siddy - Small man who walks around Berwick with a umbrella all day, whatever the weather. Hangs about outside the Somerfields toilets in the town centre and has been known to take a wheelbarrow over to town and fill it up with drink, then go back across the bridge and home with it.

Baldy Hartley - Used to live at the end of the road from me but was moved out to a village outside Berwick after getting an asbo and annoying all the neighbours. He is about 65 and is another alcoholic. He is a good artist though and used to draw pictures of people and put them up all over the place. When we were kids we used to have a graffiti battle with him on a wall in the local park. We would write abuse about him and when we returned a few days later he would reply and sometimes he would leave a picture of people who he thought was giving him the abuse. Hartley was also in court last year for 'kicking a cat an unreasonable distance' as the local paper reported. He is also famous for getting onto one of them bucking bronco things at a village party thing. The video of it has done the rounds through Berwick. My own experience of Hartley was when my dad bought a house from our next door neighbour. She was an old woman who was moved to a nursing home, but when my dad started to do work on the house we started to recieve paintings through the door with the old women in. There were speach bubbles coming from her mouth saying 'what are they doing to my house' and stuff like that. Quite funny at the time.

Both are harmless though. Ill try and think of some more later on.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big Jock Gillespie, massive guy that used to cut around Falkirk with a ghetto blaster.

I think he passed away a couple of years ago, could just be a rumour though.

There is a guy who walks around asking people for money all the time as well.

Big Jock Gillespie, massive guy that used to cut around Falkirk with a ghetto blaster.

And Old John too (with the handlebar moustache).

I think he passed away a few years ago too. :(

Stereo Mike - another head mental, this guy used to carry around a MASSIVE boom box around when he went on the bus. He used to play the "air keyboard" too. My brother stole his cap once, which I wore out and about until he told me. He is now dead.

That's Jock Gillespie.

Guest stennyhibee

Ah yes... "Techno Fatty". Yeah he passed away due to hypothermia a few winters ago. Was out with his Boom-Box in all weathers and that would appear to be what took him. Have spoken to him on a few occasions about Ghetto Blasters and Jean Michel Jarre records.

Big Peter- cycles everywhere, bit simple, could normally be found in the library. Was interviewed after the attack on Glasgow airport last week and had "Avid planespotter" under his name when the caption came up on the news.

Guest stennyhibee
Pedro - some auld disabled guy (head mental, not leg mental) who used to come up the street at lunchtime with his auld dug and pick up pennies with this magnet that he had on the end of a stick.

He would sing "Postman Pat" if you asked him nicely. His dog was called Tanya I think. She used to eat absolutely anything we threw to her. The minky bitch.

That's Jock Gillespie.
Ah yes... "Techno Fatty". Yeah he passed away due to hypothermia a few winters ago. Was out with his Boom-Box in all weathers and that would appear to be what took him. Have spoken to him on a few occasions about Ghetto Blasters and Jean Michel Jarre records.

Haha, that's him then! I'm pretty sure he lived in Stenhousemuir precient. His music was terrible, and turned up load ALL THE TIME.

He is dead, by the way.

Hartley was also in court last year for 'kicking a cat an unreasonable distance' as the local paper reported.

:lol::lol::lol:

What is construed as a reasonable distance?

The only two guys I can think of are 'Bottle John', a guy who used to go around searching for Barrs bottles as some sort of income I would imagine.

'Mr Thompson'. Residents of Overton Mains will be familiar with him.

He once wrote an advertisement looking for a girlfriend and put it in the post office's window.

At the bottom of the advertisement he wrote "Must have own teeth."

Funny as fuck if not a little tragic.

He also writes in to the Fife Free Press on a weekly basis complaining about all kinds of shit. :lol:

We also have the 'swampy family' although I only see them at Falkirk games, not so much kicking about the town.

The first time I seen them was at the Falkirk 0 - 2 St Mirren game in our last season in the first division (first game of the season).

The eldest of the swampy Children was literally punching his Dad in the coupon, and the younger brother was laughing himself silly. :blink:

Shakey Head Man - Says it all really

Scotland Man - Walks round Aberdeen in Full Tartan dress, every day. Looks similar to something out of Braveheart. Is also known to carry a hold-all which has a saltrie design on it. Incidentally, he is Russian.

Cider Man - Says it all really.

Archies Man - He sits in the same seat at the Bar of Archibald Simpsons every single day. He is very rarely seen out of there. I have seen photos of him in a santa hat, a St Patricks Day hat etc, as people place these on his head and he dosent notice. When he speaks to you, no words come out of his mouth.

The first time I seen them was at the Falkirk 0 - 2 St Mirren game in our last season in the first division (first game of the season).

The eldest of the swampy Children was literally punching his Dad in the coupon, and the younger brother was laughing himself silly. :blink:

Theyre brilliant!

The dads always got a farmfoods or iceland bag at the game with him too.

Guest stennyhibee
Scotland Man - Walks round Aberdeen in Full Tartan dress, every day. Looks similar to something out of Braveheart. Is also known to carry a hold-all which has a saltrie design on it. Incidentally, he is Russian.

Been taking fashion tips from Peter Dow maybe?

Guest stennyhibee

Mohammed The Flower Salesman - I've seen him in Falkirk, Stirling, Edinburgh, Glasgow and T In The Park. How this man covers his travelling expenses I've no idea but he tells me he drives a Volvo.

Guest Ron Burgundy

i'm hoping there is someone on here from the Muirhead area as I keep seeing a guy at the bus stop under the bridge walking about with a full dinner suit on, black trilby, black scarf and a walking cane. This is at around 8.45am most mornings....yes I am always late for work.

He could be a stunt double for Herr Flick from Allo' Allo'.

I see him quite often when i'm going to work and his whole appearance seems at odds with ther area.

Archived