Madeleine Mccann Missing Girl

Guest The Phoenix
I'm not even going to debate this with you, if you can't refrain from behaving like a moron and slagging me off.

Morning Sam! ;)

Be gentle with Steven -it's not been a good week for him. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

The children were infants. They weren't ten year olds being left out to play. It is inconceivable that a responsible parent would leave their infant children alone in a different building from the one they were in.

edit: added word infant into second sentence

My feeling on the matter is that you can't watch your children 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and indeed bad things happen to children when they are even in the supervision of their parents. My parents would leave me in the back or front garden on my own whilst they were in the house - and not always watching me, might I add. Our gate was never locked, anyone could have walked in and snatched me. Would that have been their fault too?

Whilst I'm not defending their decision to leave their children home alone (I don't really have a strong opinion either way on that choice, but it'll happen a lot more than people on here are giving it credit for) I'm offering a different point of view that you can't always protect your children from bad things or bad people. Children have been abducted in their own homes whilst their parents have been there, children have been sexually assaulted in their own homes whilst their parents have been there.

I don't envy parents in general - having that level of responsibility must be difficult for anyone.

My feeling on the matter is that you can't watch your children 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and indeed bad things happen to children when they are even in the supervision of their parents. My parents would leave me in the back or front garden on my own whilst they were in the house - and not always watching me, might I add. Our gate was never locked, anyone could have walked in and snatched me. Would that have been their fault too?

Difference is, that's your home, and you're parents could check on you regularly if they felt the need to. This is a foreign country, and they left their children in an apartment on their own, in an area they didn't know, any parent I know wouldn't even dream of doing that.

Guest The Phoenix
I should be grateful to Stirling Albion, really.

Indeed!

Let's hope ee need to set the Sat Nav for Perth next season. :D

Indeed!

Let's hope ee need to set the Sat Nav for Perth next season. :D

Sat Nav is useless - My friend used his for Hamilton Academical F.C last Saturday and it took us straight to Cliftonhill. I kid you not.

Guest The Phoenix
Sat Nav is useless - My friend used his for Hamilton Academical F.C last Saturday and it took us straight to Cliftonhill. I kid you not.

Obviously her Sat Nav has an additional feature and avoids pish teams......... oh, hang on - Cliftonhill?

Naw it's buggered. ;)

Whilst I'm not defending their decision to leave their children home alone (I don't really have a strong opinion either way on that choice, but it'll happen a lot more than people on here are giving it credit for) I'm offering a different point of view that you can't always protect your children from bad things or bad people. Children have been abducted in their own homes whilst their parents have been there, children have been sexually assaulted in their own homes whilst their parents have been there.

I don't envy parents in general - having that level of responsibility must be difficult for anyone.

There is a huge difference between not watching your children 24/7 to actively neglecting them, thats where the difference lies in this case.

However when your kids are 2 and 3, you are watching them 24 hours a day.

I wouldn't suggest that children need to be watched 24/7. I know when I was nine or ten I was out playing along the road with friends, and my parents knew where I was, but certainly weren't watching me at all times. I'd say that's a healthy part of childhood if the area's safe enough to warrant it.

But, as I say, I was nine or ten. Infants need to be within a room of their parents, or a responsible caregiver (that part's very important; I realise parents have lives, jobs etc. and thus grandparents, cousins, even babysitters are all great) at all times. I don't think it's at all unrealistic to expect that. There's a world of difference between them and ten year olds.

I know that you can't wrap your kids in cotton wool, or even if you do, bad things can (and will) still happen to them. I'm not suggesting locking them away in a dungeon until they're 18; I'm saying that infants require constant care and attention and if the parents wanted to go out to dinner, they should have arranged a babysitting service, because the kids are far, far, far too young to be left alone.

I wouldn't suggest that children need to be watched 24/7. I know when I was nine or ten I was out playing along the road with friends, and my parents knew where I was, but certainly weren't watching me at all times. I'd say that's a healthy part of childhood if the area's safe enough to warrant it.

But, as I say, I was nine or ten. Infants need to be within a room of their parents, or a responsible caregiver (that part's very important; I realise parents have lives, jobs etc. and thus grandparents, cousins, even babysitters are all great) at all times. I don't think it's at all unrealistic to expect that. There's a world of difference between them and ten year olds.

I know that you can't wrap your kids in cotton wool, or even if you do, bad things can (and will) still happen to them. I'm not suggesting locking them away in a dungeon until they're 18; I'm saying that infants require constant care and attention and if the parents wanted to go out to dinner, they should have arranged a babysitting service, because the kids are far, far, far too young to be left alone.

I don't disagree with any of that.

But I think Steven is being harsh on them - I'm sure nobody feels any worse than they do at the moment and I do think there are parents much more deserving of his criticism than these ones. Like the mother who allowed her own mother and two sisters to join her in egging on her two children to batter each other, whilst she filmed it. Both were toddlers. Now there is a woman who is unfit to parent.

But I think Steven is being harsh on them - I'm sure nobody feels any worse than they do at the moment and I do think there are parents much more deserving of his criticism than these ones. Like the mother who allowed her own mother and two sisters to join her in egging on her two children to batter each other, whilst she filmed it. Both were toddlers. Now there is a woman who is unfit to parent.

I dont think he is being harsh on them, they are paying a huge mistake, but they chose to neglect their children, no one else did, it was bad luck that they had someone around willing to abduct one of them, but ultimately the parents are as much to blame as the guy that took them.

I dont think he is being harsh on them, they are paying a huge mistake, but they chose to neglect their children, no one else did, it was bad luck that they had someone around willing to abduct one of them, but ultimately the parents are as much to blame as the guy that took them.

Agree MarreZ.

Sam, no one is saying you can watch your kids 24/7, however there is a huge difference in watching them 24/7 and doing everything obviously reasonable to care for them as a parent should.

As much as you disagree with Steven, he his probably being quite direct in his wording, however IMO he is not saying anything that is not warranted.

Perhaps when you are older and/if you have children you might agree?

Yes.Fortunatley enough it is a decent neighbourhood and the street layout means I can keep an eye him.There are boundaries that he is aware of.Most of the time he is round his friends back or vice versa.He plays with around six kids.He is the youngest out of his group.He will be five in July and starts school.Obviously I mointor the situation.It can be difficult to get the balance between safety and freedom.My house looks onto the main area where he plays which is a park.Do you think that is too young a age?

Sorry, I do think that is too young to be out without adult supervision.

You are entitled to your opinion.Although I would not say he is unsupervised.I could see your pont if he was playing out in the street for six hours without being monitored but that is not the case.If I have to leave the house he comes with me .As I said he is comfortable in that enviroment .If he was not confortable in the enviroment or I was not comfortable with him being in that enviroment I would not allow it.Regardless of his age be it 4 or 14.

Edited by seamus

Balls, my son is 4 and he is allowed outside he usually only go's to the houses either side of ours and theres plenty older kids kicking around as well especially when it's nice

Guest The Phoenix
Balls, my son is 4 and he is allowed outside he usually only go's to the houses either side of ours and theres plenty older kids kicking around as well especially when it's nice

It's all a balancing trick for parents.

I agree with the above and that's how I brought my two up. Although up until about the age of 6 they were never allowed to stray further than our view until we were sure they had met up with whoever they were going to play with.

Additionally, having told us where they were going, if that changed they had to come back and tell us exactly where we would find them.

My son once (!) forgot to do this and my wife and I spent an hour or so in a complete panic. I eventually found him, safe and sound, in the house of another family on the estate - the problem being we didn't know that he ever played with this lad because he was about three years older.

Same here.What do you do enclose them in and then they become less socially developed?

Rubbish. My son is now 6 but he started playing outside with his friends a few summers ago and would have only been 4. On saying that I think I spent the whole time at one of the house windows to keep an eye on him and actually found him playing outside quite stressful. He knew exactly where he was allowed to go, indeed he still has the same boundaries. If the children he is playing with go outwith his boundary he just comes back into the house.

You don't have to be alongside your child in order to supervise them - I am always aware of where he is even when he is outside (probably because of the noise).

Guest The Phoenix
Rubbish. My son is now 6 but he started playing outside with his friends a few summers ago and would have only been 4. On saying that I think I spent the whole time at one of the house windows to keep an eye on him and actually found him playing outside quite stressful. He knew exactly where he was allowed to go, indeed he still has the same boundaries. If the children he is playing with go outwith his boundary he just comes back into the house.

You don't have to be alongside your child in order to supervise them - I am always aware of where he is even when he is outside (probably because of the noise).

Surely all the bad people in Dundonald are shit scared of Monster anyway? :unsure:;)

I'm not even going to debate this with you, if you can't refrain from behaving like a moron and slagging me off.

Where was I slagging you? you simply cant accept that you are maybe losing the argument with me can you?

Agree MarreZ.

Sam, no one is saying you can watch your kids 24/7, however there is a huge difference in watching them 24/7 and doing everything obviously reasonable to care for them as a parent should.

As much as you disagree with Steven, he his probably being quite direct in his wording, however IMO he is not saying anything that is not warranted.

Perhaps when you are older and/if you have children you might agree?

They are guilty of gross negligence and no amount of nonsense spouted from you changes that fact.

We all know you like to disagree with people just to spite them Sam it's what you do best but that dosent change the fact that I am right in my stance and other people have agreed with me.

Maybe when have kids you will see the foolishness of what you have said Sam as leaving that number of kids unsupervised is just tempting fate they simply should have been less selfish or stupid. My mother was far from a perfect mother but one thing she would never have done is leave me or my brothers or sister unsupervised it's something you don't do especially at that age if you are a responsible parent. Many people have kids and get annoyed that they get in the way of their lifestyle if that's the case don't have bloody kids in the first place.

Am I being harsh maybe but when it comes to the welfare of kids I wont miss words, you have Kids you are responsible for them 24/7 and they neglected those responsibilities. That is fact and not up for debate Sam.

You will also notice that parents have agreed with me sadly you believe you are always right even when you are wrong.

In this case you couldn't be more wrong.