Madeleine Mccann Missing Girl

1 hour ago, I'm Brian said:

Here's a journalist who has looked at length into the McCann case, comparing the differences between Madeleine McCann and Shannon Matthews (before it came to light it was a set up)

Perhaps the difference is if you have a highly paid PR team behind you, controlling the narrative.

That video is over an hour long. I ain’t watching that shit. In any event Shannon Matthews’ mother wasn’t widely derided before it turned out she was a liar - the difference in level of coverage and/or reward is a different issue from whether a working class couple would be in prison for neglect after one of their children was ostensibly abducted by a stranger.

And to apply your earlier logic the search and PR for Shannon Matthews was superior as the child was found alive.

Edited by The OP

1 hour ago, I'm Brian said:

Here's a journalist who has looked at length into the McCann case, comparing the differences between Madeleine McCann and Shannon Matthews (before it came to light it was a set up)

Perhaps the difference is if you have a highly paid PR team behind you, controlling the narrative.

I was just away to ask what the hysteria was like when those dogs suggested a corpse in the hire car boot?

It's been 12 years So apologies if I'm wrong but I seem to remember this being quite irrelevant and the press not making much of it at all.

I assume if you have the right people telling the press what's important and what's not that's what you get.

It really really annoys me the way the press control the way people think by pulling shit like this and things never seem to change.

People go the whole of their lives reacting to stories in the press the way they're supposed too and never once stop to think outside the box for themselves.

Humans are absolute sheep and that is showing no signs of changing.

5 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

I was just away to ask what the hysteria was like when those dogs suggested a corpse in the hire car boot?

It's been 12 years So apologies if I'm wrong but I seem to remember this being quite irrelevant and the press not making much of it at all.

I assume if you have the right people telling the press what's important and what's not that's what you get.

It really really annoys me the way the press control the way people think by pulling shit like this and things never seem to change.

People go the whole of their lives reacting to stories in the press the way they're supposed too and never once stop to think outside the box for themselves.

Humans are absolute sheep and that is showing no signs of changing.

That would be all well and good if there wasn’t a massive backlash against the McCanns as time went on and if there weren’t constant accusations and theories being flung about.

18 minutes ago, The OP said:

That video is over an hour long. I ain’t watching that shit. In any event Shannon Matthews’ mother wasn’t widely derided before it turned out she was a liar - the difference in level of coverage and/or reward is a different issue from whether a working class couple would be in prison for neglect after one of their children was ostensibly abducted by a stranger.

And to apply your earlier logic the search and PR for Shannon Matthews was superior as the child was found alive.

That's why I forwarded it 54 minutes to get to the relevant point.

Your initial point was whether or not a middle class couple would be "dragged over the hot coals" in comparison to a working class couple. I'm relating that point to the media who definitely do treat the two different types of people differently, in any scenario. It isn't radical to suggest that the wealthy middle classes in this country are painted as being fine upstanding members of the community where as poor people who live in council estates are painted as  drug addicted or alky scumbags.  . We live in a country where class and how wealthy you are defines your standing in society. High earners are hard working and minimum wage earners are shirkers . We are still at a point in this country, as Gaz points out, where on the whole, the media drives the narrative and people swallow every line that comes out of the TV and newspapers.

Here's another article that highlights the differences between the two cases

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/missing-children-and-the-media-the-wrong-kind-of-family-795007.html

and it includes this quote from a senior police officer

"Editorial judgement is not something we can or should seek to influence. But it is correct that if you live in a deprived corner of a big city and you get murdered running with a gang then you will be a footnote. If you live in a nice house and your parents are professionals then the Daily Mail and everyone else will be knocking on your door."

Shannon Matthews’ mother was not “dragged over hot coals” until she was found to have falsified her claims. There was less coverage and a lower reward for finding Shannon, that is true and is evidenced. It is also true that the abduction was a hoax which makes the article about Karen Matthews’ turmoil and bravery in the face of unfair questioning grimly ironic. 

My post was aimed at the asinine comments about how anyone poorer would have been jailed for neglect which always come up when this topic comes up but are never backed up by proper evidence. You seemed to get that initially.

And someone being murdered with a clear motive in an area of high crime is deemed less newsworthy than a whodunnit involving a well off person. What an amazing revelation. Although it is quite ironic that the Mail are the ones being slagged when they were at the forefront of pushing the largely ignored murder of Stephen Lawrence as a major news story. And if you’re from an area of high crime and there is a clear motive never fear - you’ll still hit the headlines if you get shot in a busy ASDA car park or outside a primary school.

Edited by The OP

9 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

In the UK maybe. In the US probably not.

True, which kinda supports the point that the novelty of a killing/abduction/disappearance or any other crime contributes a large part to its newsworthiness. 

I also think that when teenagers in Glasgow were stabbing each other in great frequency in the early 2000s it got a lot less attention than stabbings in London do right now. I don’t think that’s a question of class but rather the media looking for a cause célèbre or selling panic to as many people as possible.

Edited by The OP

1 hour ago, The OP said:

I also think that when teenagers in Glasgow were stabbing each other in great frequency in the early 2000s it got a lot less attention than stabbings in London do right now. I don’t think that’s a question of class but rather the media looking for a cause célèbre or selling panic to as many people as possible.

No, it's because London is the centre of the universe and nothing that happens outside the M25 matters.

10 hours ago, Silverton End said:

The Scotland Yard investigation into the disappearance has cost £11.75m so far.

Is there any way of finding out how much each investigation has cost, or do you need to request this shit under FOI?

Just curious to see how much money has been spent on others who are missing abroad.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Is there any way of finding out how much each investigation has cost, or do you need to request this shit under FOI?

Just curious to see how much money has been spent on others who are missing abroad.

Honestly no idea, I heard that figure being discussed on a radio show. A staggering amount of money, it sticks in my mind because hundreds of people go missing every week with very little publicity.

29 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Honestly no idea, I heard that figure being discussed on a radio show. A staggering amount of money, it sticks in my mind because hundreds of people go missing every week with very little publicity.

It does seem a ridiculous amount of money for 1 missing child, but without context of what is spent on others it's hard to say just how ridiculous it is.

16 hours ago, The OP said:

Shannon Matthews’ mother was not “dragged over hot coals” until she was found to have falsified her claims. There was less coverage and a lower reward for finding Shannon, that is true and is evidenced. It is also true that the abduction was a hoax which makes the article about Karen Matthews’ turmoil and bravery in the face of unfair questioning grimly ironic. 

My post was aimed at the asinine comments about how anyone poorer would have been jailed for neglect which always come up when this topic comes up but are never backed up by proper evidence. You seemed to get that initially.

And someone being murdered with a clear motive in an area of high crime is deemed less newsworthy than a whodunnit involving a well off person. What an amazing revelation. Although it is quite ironic that the Mail are the ones being slagged when they were at the forefront of pushing the largely ignored murder of Stephen Lawrence as a major news story. And if you’re from an area of high crime and there is a clear motive never fear - you’ll still hit the headlines if you get shot in a busy ASDA car park or outside a primary school.

I still get it as I have never claimed otherwise. The McCann's should be given jail time for neglect, and anyone else in a similar case should as well. In the eyes of the law everyone is equal. 

What I am claiming is that, depending on your perceived social status is how you are treated by the media.  The initial reporting of the McCann case was heavy on how good a family they were, what a lovely leafy Leicestershire village they lived in. Painting them as the perfect family, when in reality they neglected their children to the point where one was allegedly abducted.

Regardless of the outcome of the Matthews case Karen Matthews was instantly portrayed as a scumbag simply because of her social standing. She was portrayed as a slag who came from an area of high deprivation. Questions were instantly asked of her that were never and have never been asked in the McCann case.

One child's life is just as important as any other, yet the press deemed one case worthy of four times the amount of stories of the other. Surely you have to ask yourself why that is and there is only one  conclusion you can logically come too.

Yes you are right about the Mail re Stephen Lawrence. Although in that case he was an innocent boy at a bus stop who was murdered by a local gang of racists, because of the colour of his skin. It's just a shame they don't do it every time for example in the McCann case, or even outed Saville as a paedophile as it was common knowledge within the establishment. There may be headlines, but they will quickly disappear, and 11 years on we are still seeing the poor McCanns in the press  telling us about their self inflicted nightmare.

We're going to need to agree to disagree here, but it is demonstrably true that if you are a white middle class professional in the eyes of the press you are probably not guilty and give you an easy ride, but if you are a council estate unemployed benefit claimant you are probably guilty and will have every aspect of your life thrown into question.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

It does seem a ridiculous amount of money for 1 missing child, but without context of what is spent on others it's hard to say just how ridiculous it is.

Very true.

A missing child usually also commands a higher profile investigation too.

A parallel I suppose could be the Ben Needham disappearance back in 1991. The wee toddler who went missing on the Greek island. Still newsworthy as recent as 2017 when traces of blood were found on a bit of sandal.

The findings strengthened the belief of Forensic experts that he was killed on the day he went missing & is buried on Kos.

ETA - It's reckoned that around £1m has been spent searching for Ben. 

Edited by Silverton End