Equine Eggstravaganza

igor

£1 Win Patent

2:10 Plum Pudding (Mile) 2nd

2:45 Youmzain (Coronation) 2nd

4:05 Sariska (Oaks) 1st

£10 Single on Sariska to win the Oaks. Duncan (Also Ran) & Look Here (3rd) £2 EW Singles in the Coronation.

Placepot (50p) (Epsom); 1;1,3. 2;1,4. 3;3,7. 4;1,6. 5;3,7. 6;3,6.

I'm still mulling over my Derby lays. I'll be back this evening with some more in-depth ramblings.

Placepot up. Sariska won the Oaks. Look here finished third in the coronation. All in all a good day. Reckon I'm up £20 odds. Not seen the Pot divvy yet.

Re the Derby. I'll be back with some assessment soonish.

Right the Derby then.

I found making a selection here utterly arduous. Cannot stress that enough. After much deliberation though I've made Sea The Stars my pick to win. Sitting at 11/4 at the moment. Justification? A thin one. Hinging on two or three very minor and realistically negligible things. There is so little to tell it apart from Fame & Glory after all.

Oxx's horse gets my money principally because of what I imagine the going will be this afternoon. Presently it's Good at Epsom Good to Firm in places. I anticipate it will be Good or better come quarter to four. That's something which might just might favour STS.

Talking about form, I would be inclined to say that Sea The Stars' is marginally more impressive. It's pitted its' wits against better opposition in my eyes and triumphed without falter. The only other thing I think significant is the betting. In which I gather he, the favourite, has attracted by far and away the most interest. (I would be dismissive of the Stamina concerns. Stars will stay it I'm confident).

All the above said it's not going to be a demolition. It'll be as close as it's ever been. And not for a minute am I saying the likes of Rip Van Winkle & Gan Amhras don't have chance by the way. Two horses I've backed before (Guineas). Johnny Murtagh saddles RVW with the claim that he's a special horse even more so than F&G he believes. Having had the option to ride either. That's got to speak volumes. Although I gather pundits have written Van Winkle off regardless. Seems strange to me.

I'm going each way on Black Bear Island purely because of his most recent run at York. Pipped Freemantle past the post with a mercurial burst of speed. Got stronger as the race went on and really went after he crossed. Suggesting to me that the 1m 4f Epsom trip might play into his hands. Or hooves should I say!

I'm also going EW on Golden Sword. I think 33/1 represents great value here. A good horse that retains the jockey with whom upon it won the Chester Vase. Don't hold a lot of hope out mind.

On a footnote I'd just add that I feel the pricing is particularly well representing of each horse's chance.

Derby E/W Golden Sword @ 33/1

Lucky 15 Win Only

2.05 Doncaster Oceana Blue 5/1 WINNER :)

2.20 Musselburgh Archers Road 7/2

2.35 Doncaster Magaling 7/2

2.50 Musselburgh Non Dom 8/1

3.05 Doncaster Laughter 9/4

2.25 Epsom Downs Spacious 13/8

4.30 Epsom Downs Martyr 5/1

3.25 Worcester Premier Des Marais 11/4

E/W Lucky 15

3.20 Musselburgh Roker Park 12/1

1.55 Epsom Downs Jack My Boy 13/2 A bad start :(

3.00 Epsom Downs Siren's Gift 10/1

3.45 Epsom Downs Golden Sword 25/1

Edited by DJP

Right the Derby then.

I'm also going EW on Golden Sword. I think 33/1 represents great value here. A good horse that retains the jockey with whom upon it won the Chester Vase. Don't hold a lot of hope out mind.

I like your thinking on that. Also on it

I've got the french horse in the next, Alnadana, with Captain Dunne (NAP) in the 3.00 then finally Rip Van Winkle in the derby.

I think there are about 5/6 genuine contenders for the derby (if not more) but i've just got a sneaky feeling for Rip.

I'm wearing a very wide grin on my face.

Sea The Stars, I imagine you'll have heard, won this years Derby in some style.

My grin would almost be on the back of my head however had Golden Sword who ran a brilliant race got into the places. Had it each way and lead for the majority of the race. A blanket finish seen Masterofthehorse just nose it from him. Can't emphasise enough how close it was. I think I'm vindicated though. 33/1 Was great value for that horse.

Black Bear Island ran a good race as well.

All that analysis paid off. Quite literally. :P Not painting the town red but it's another win under the belt!