Equine Eggstravaganza

igor

• 2 weeks later...

Final day of Royal Ascot, my selections below so please avoid for your own good: 

14:30: Lope Y Fernandez/Highland Chief
15:05: Happy Power
15:40: Masar
16:20: Blue Point
16:55: Danzeno
17:35: Black Corton

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Seeing a lot of people on Twitter claiming Enable is a better horse than Frankel. Absolutely wild. 

Wasn't even the best horse in yesterday's race.

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

Off to my 1st ever race meeting at Musselburgh tomorrow, not a huge punter on the horses so any tips on how to read form or any tips in general would be much appreciated.

Cheers in advance

Most of the stalls are a fiver minimum (or £2.50 each way). And when placing a bet you say something like “5 on 3” (£5 on horse number 3, you don’t refer to it’s name). For fun, I usually put on a small stakes placepot bet (usually from the stall inside where the bar is, at the back of the stand just to the left of the finish line). You just pick a horse to win each race and you need all 6/7 to win. It’s a shit load of money but also extremely unlikely you’ll win it. 

As for form, see to be honest, if you’re just going for a day out I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Next to form you’ll have a bunch of numbers like 34124 (position where the horse finished, races are from left to right being the latest run). Brian Hughes is an excellent jockey and usually does really well at Scottish meets so I’d keep an eye on he is riding. Keith Dalgliesh is a local trainer and has been in good form as well.

Pints are expensive but I guess that’s to be expected. It is a really good day out though and believe tomorrow is supposed to have a good card so it should be good.  

Edited by Karpaty Lviv

22 hours ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Most of the stalls are a fiver minimum (or £2.50 each way). And when placing a bet you say something like “5 on 3” (£5 on horse number 3, you don’t refer to it’s name). For fun, I usually put on a small stakes placepot bet (usually from the stall inside where the bar is, at the back of the stand just to the left of the finish line). You just pick a horse to win each race and you need all 6/7 to win. It’s a shit load of money but also extremely unlikely you’ll win it. 

As for form, see to be honest, if you’re just going for a day out I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Next to form you’ll have a bunch of numbers like 34124 (position where the horse finished, races are from left to right being the latest run). Brian Hughes is an excellent jockey and usually does really well at Scottish meets so I’d keep an eye on he is riding. Keith Dalgliesh is a local trainer and has been in good form as well.

Pints are expensive but I guess that’s to be expected. It is a really good day out though and believe tomorrow is supposed to have a good card so it should be good.  

It's a flat meeting mate you are highly unlikely to see Brian Hughes riding. 

Sometimes the racecard can give you decent tips with a wee write up on the horses chances

There will be numbers usually in brackets next to the horses name. This is usually a guide for the stalls (stalls being where the horses start and not the bookies as referred above) position. If the stalls are on the far side then u usually want the stalls nearest the rails. Doesn't always happen but its difficult for horses to win from an outside draw. Think of it as an athletics track but all starting from the same position whereas in athletics races on a round track the starting positions are staggered. 

Enjoy yer day and best of luck. 

Edited by newcastle broon

Cheers guys, great day out and had 3 winners, pick of the bunch was £100 on Cape Victory @7/2 in the 18.45. Also had £20 on Lagenda in the first @7/2 and £10 e/w on Brother McGonagal @ 8/1. Even with the losing bets I ended the day about £300 up. Cracking day out and much alcohol consumed. Will definately be doing it again.

On 13/09/2019 at 10:18, keyser_soze said:

Off to my 1st ever race meeting at Musselburgh tomorrow, not a huge punter on the horses so any tips on how to read form or any tips in general would be much appreciated.

Cheers in advance

57 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

Cheers guys, great day out and had 3 winners, pick of the bunch was £100 on Cape Victory @7/2 in the 18.45. Also had £20 on Lagenda in the first @7/2 and £10 e/w on Brother McGonagal @ 8/1. Even with the losing bets I ended the day about £300 up. Cracking day out and much alcohol consumed. Will definately be doing it again.

For somebody that's no a huge punter I'd like to know what you consider a huge bet when you've put £100 on a race :thumsup2

Always good to come away from the races wi money in yer wallet though. Well done 👏

2 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

For somebody that's no a huge punter I'd like to know what you consider a huge bet when you've put £100 on a race :thumsup2

Always good to come away from the races wi money in yer wallet though. Well done 👏

By that time I was up a few quid and it was more of an alcohol induced bet than anything else, I had budgeted for £20 per race but seeing as I was up 😎

Edited by keyser_soze