Worst Team

Guest Ayr United FC

Derek Wingate

He would have made my list as well, but didn't count trialists, as a bit harsh to mention a guy for 45 minutes... despite how truly awful he was.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From the mid-90s onwards

1. Craig Coyle

2. Martyn Naylor

3. Dylan Kerr

4. Andy Millen

5. Dave McPherson

6. John Gibson

7. Artur Correia

8. John Fowler

9. Stephen Whalen

10. Derek Laing

11. Colin Reilly

Subs

Andy Carlin

Anton Smith

Derek Wingate

Darren Kearney

Ian Ferguson

He was good... for about 6 matches.

Guest steve-ton
He would have made my list as well, but didn't count trialists, as a bit harsh to mention a guy for 45 minutes... despite how truly awful he was.

I know I wasn't going to include him, but then I remembered how bad he actually was and I nearly had a heart attack :o

Apparently he didn't know he was going to be playing until the morning of the game, and was out on the piss the night before ........................... it would explain a lot I suppose

Guest steve-ton
He was good... for about 6 matches.

Did Whalen not have a trial at Norwich or somebody like that? Personally I never rated him. Anyone any idea where he is now?

Did Whalen not have a trial at Norwich or somebody like that? Personally I never rated him. Anyone any idea where he is now?

He's at Irvine Meadow, with Emilio Jaconelli as his strike partner.

He scored a few on th trot for us, it was either the season we finished 7th in the 1st Div (the 2nd time) or the one we were relegated. He then went on trial down South but did he not come back up and play for Ayr Utd or somebody?

I always thought he was shite. He went something like 17 matches without a goal and then thought he'd scored in a 6-1 defeat to ICT. It was the given as an own goal :lol:

The same three players were also instrumental in giving us the 2nd best record in Division 1 from January onwards the following season.

Or is that a pub level as well?

Oh, right. Not seasons any more is it?

Well i suppose I could say that one Saturday in November 1995, between 3.12pm and 3.14pm neither Patterson nor McQuilter fucked anything up drastically for us. :rolleyes:

This one has racked my brain for ages, hopefully you can help! Does anyone remember the name of the other trialist in that game v Ayr, new year 2001? He played midfield, and like Wingate was on trial from Benburb

This one has racked my brain for ages, hopefully you can help! Does anyone remember the name of the other trialist in that game v Ayr, new year 2001? He played midfield, and like Wingate was on trial from Benburb

Stuart Easton

Guest steve-ton
He scored a few on th trot for us, it was either the season we finished 7th in the 1st Div (the 2nd time) or the one we were relegated. He then went on trial down South but did he not come back up and play for Ayr Utd or somebody?

I always thought he was shite. He went something like 17 matches without a goal and then thought he'd scored in a 6-1 defeat to ICT. It was the given as an own goal :lol:

Yeah think he went to Ayr, I saw him picked in one of their worst ever teams on this thread. I think he scored something like 5 goals in 3 games the year we were relegated, and suddenly everyone thought he was God's gift. Still, he wasn't as bad as Derek Laing :P

Whalen apparently was going to sign for Celtic during a pre-season after training with them for a few weeks, but broke his foot and missed out on the move! The rest as they say is history!

He was released at the end of the 2000/2001 season along with the entire squad, went to Livi, then onto Ayr and he's now in the juniors! Shame because he could have went far i felt!

Guest steve-ton
Stuart Easton

There was a guy called D Beattie listed as #10 in that game who never played for us again. I assume he was a trialist from the juniors as well (?)

Oh, right. Not seasons any more is it?

Well i suppose I could say that one Saturday in November 1995, between 3.12pm and 3.14pm neither Patterson nor McQuilter fucked anything up drastically for us. :rolleyes:

My god, you're struggling now, most people would have admitted defeat by this stage. :lol:

I'd give up one this one Monster...Stewarty bowled you middle stump...yer out !!

Sorry, I'm neither gay nor a Unionist so I have no idea about cricketing terminology.

Does that mean: 'change the rules of what constitutes good player to suit your argument'?

If so then Stewarty wins.

Does that mean: 'change the rules of what constitutes good player to suit your argument'?

If so then Stewarty wins.

I think you're changing the goalposts a tad here. It was nothing to do with how good they were, you claimed I was wrong when I said they featured in an Albion side which finished ahead of Ayr United.

But they did. 3 seasons running in fact. Fancy that.

I think you're changing the goalposts a tad here. It was nothing to do with how good they were, you claimed I was wrong when I said they featured in an Albion side which finished ahead of Ayr United.

But they did. 3 seasons running in fact. Fancy that.

You claimed they weren't pish.

I watched them both at least 20 times for Ayr United and I know FOR A FACT they were pish. Which might be why they were punted at the end of the season.

Unlikely as they were both playing for Stirling Albion at that time :blink:

I know FOR A FACT they were pish.

Pishyness is a matter of opinion not fact :huh:

Archived