Middleton Mouse

Hillwalking Thread

Finally got back into the hills yesterday, tackling Sgor na-h'Ulaidh and Beinn Fhionnlaidh from the Glen Etive side. It must have absolutely pished down the days before as both hills were soggy as f**k, the approaches were soggy as f**k and the descents were soggy as f**k. The climb of the Sgor was steep in the last 250m but enjoyable, the descent down to 430m was tortuous, but not as bad as the pathless ascent of BF. I was absolutely fucked by the time we got back to the car, 7.5 hours after starting. And also highly sunburned. Plenty of clegs about as well, the fuckers. 

Etive Hills-3.jpg

Beinn Mhanach today. What can i say, its uphill all the way.

The actual climbing was an hour and a half of nose to the grass unrelenting steepness. The only upside is the grass is nice and dry and firm.

20190707_141543.jpg

54 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Beinn Mhanach today. What can i say, its uphill all the way.

The actual climbing was an hour and a half of nose to the grass unrelenting steepness. The only upside is the grass is nice and dry and firm.

20190707_141543.jpg

Never enjoyed that hill, the walk in and out to it was boring as f**k slog, didn't help having wet feet from crossing the numerous burns and a fog blanket on top meant we seen nothing. 

I didnt mind the walk in as it was a nice day and the rivers were low. I meant to do this alongside Beinn Achaladair  but bailed out due to clag. Would advise anyone to avoid doing as a single.

Was up at Beinn Tulaichean today was great weather for it but one of the most difficult ones i have done but views at the top were stunning:DSC01907.thumb.jpg.edec9e0f19e35b9b5e664ad034f98427.jpgIMG_0075.thumb.jpeg.9c88620bcd0327d3664b284149fae0c9.jpegDSC01909.thumb.jpg.d1e81288628bdd3cec89868e49aacc95.jpg

I didnt mind the walk in as it was a nice day and the rivers were low. I meant to do this alongside Beinn Achaladair  but bailed out due to clag. Would advise anyone to avoid doing as a single.
Mhanach is pretty grim. We tried it by biking in from the Lyon Dam to make it more interesting. That didn't work

Hoofed it up Pucks Glen and back down the Big Tree Trail near Dunoon with the missus and bairn today. Nothing too big or strenuous but a good hike nonetheless.

On holiday on Mull, so did Dun da Ghaoithe, the Corbett near Craignure that I've been meaning to do for a few years. Weird (and very easy) walk in that the first 2/3rds is on an access road for two comms towers - but the views of the Western Highlands (even on a hazy day like Sunday was) are fantastic making it one that I would do again. One that could easily be done as a daytrip or by going for a later ferry when leaving Mull....

DSC03051.thumb.jpg.fbce605682fcfac099c09cc4b4038ebd.jpg

DSC03038.thumb.jpg.a25ca746dd4998b4888d55dd3412d849.jpg

DSC03037.jpg

Edited by Swello

Ben Venue today with my son and his friend from next door.  Lovely weather, warm (but not too hot) with a gentle breeze.  Cracking views from Grangemouth to Ben Lawers and Ben Cruachan.

707009683_20190715_1010251.thumb.jpg.507a774cb1a208a40eb35b9e2db9bfb5.jpg134137621_20190715_1220121.thumb.jpg.9218d8479db610d392374a14632a0e15.jpg

7 minutes ago, Gnash said:

Ben Venue today with my son and his friend from next door.  Lovely weather, warm (but not too hot) with a gentle breeze.  Cracking views from Grangemouth to Ben Lawers and Ben Cruachan.

707009683_20190715_1010251.thumb.jpg.507a774cb1a208a40eb35b9e2db9bfb5.jpg134137621_20190715_1220121.thumb.jpg.9218d8479db610d392374a14632a0e15.jpg

Did you see the goats?

10 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Did you see the goats?

Sadly no, but my son did spot a lizard under a rock.

1036419072_20190715_1331211.thumb.jpg.d5a30820db57b30db07a93b286c83cea.jpg

Bit of advice please. Doing a sponsored 26 mile hike in Glencoe at the end of the month. Although I do the odd parkrun, I'm slightly bricking it due to the distance. I believe the walk is mostly flat - obviously undulating with a climb at the end. My question is ... running shoes are much comfier to wear and weigh less. I've bought a pair of walking boots but even clumping about with them is a chore ... which should I wear to do the walk?

Will probably get hounded out of this thread but do any of you have advice for walking past cows? I have been charged at multiple times now trying to stick to the path when they're on it. I see other people just walking right through but I never can.

41 minutes ago, boulderdomb said:

Will probably get hounded out of this thread but do any of you have advice for walking past cows? I have been charged at multiple times now trying to stick to the path when they're on it. I see other people just walking right through but I never can.

They're just bored aff their nut and excited at something coming into the field. They'll stop before they bump into you.

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Bit of advice please. Doing a sponsored 26 mile hike in Glencoe at the end of the month. Although I do the odd parkrun, I'm slightly bricking it due to the distance. I believe the walk is mostly flat - obviously undulating with a climb at the end. My question is ... running shoes are much comfier to wear and weigh less. I've bought a pair of walking boots but even clumping about with them is a chore ... which should I wear to do the walk?

I'd break in the walking boots before making any judgements on what's better. If you're not running and it's over typical Scottish flinty paths I'd stick with the boots.

Edited by MixuFixit

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Do you know the route? I see people on the hills now with trail shoes and lots of people seem to be going for them. Not for me as i have chocolate ankles and am attracted to bogs.

You dont have to break in modern fabric boots

Edited by invergowrie arab

1 hour ago, boulderdomb said:

Avoid early spring when they have calves at foot as people do get killed.

What do you mean charged at? Do you mean they came towards you or you actually had to climb a tree through fear of death. 

Usually head down and just walk through them is fine but they so seem to take interest on some people more than others.

When we were wee we used to get a chase off the cows by firing airguns at their arses to wind them up and them clmbing an old oak tree after they stampeded at us #perthshire 

Edited by invergowrie arab

3 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

After being a "boots" person for a long time, the last few years I've been using trail runners (as opposed to normal running shoes) on walks where I know I'll be on paths for the vast majority of the time - and in my experience (everyone's different) they have been *great* for longer distance stuff. The basic science is that you're lifting considerably less weight over the course of the day and I have noticed a difference. On big and/or rocky mountain days, it's still boots 100% of the time.

The main note of caution is that does change your walking style (gait?) and so initially it can actually cause some niggly aches and pains if you have been used to wearing boots a lot...

Missed out on a Shankland masterclass yesterday for this pish on Stob a' Choire Odhair and Stob Gobhar. Brutally hot and brutal ascents/descents but top 10 summit views in the country material.

20190803_140730.jpg

Missed out on a Shankland masterclass yesterday for this pish on Stob a' Choire Odhair and Stob Gobhar. Brutally hot and brutal ascents/descents but top 10 summit views in the country material.

20190803_140730.thumb.jpg.99815d385f4b89f7d2e4d7734a12dfa5.jpg
Ugh. I did those 5 years ago and still remember the horrendous ascent of Ghabhar and the even more spirit crushingly boggy descent.