Hillwalking Thread

14 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Wee wander up Càrn Bhac yesterday to go alongside a horseshoe of some minor tops around Glenshee last weekend reminding me of what I loved about hillwalking when I first started which was leaving the house about 9 am 6 hours on the hill and back home in plenty time for fish supper and a pint.

In recent years it's more like book 2 nights away to fit in a 10 hour epic or leave house at 6am and home midnight  to get the ticks.

Thing is I really like getting the ticks

20190622_130447.jpg

Totally get this. Now that I've reset the ticking clock and have huge numbers of hills to choose from when I'm going out - doing something near the Borders where I live means that I am actually home at 3 in the afternoon - it's a bit of a treat given that it feels like I've been on long-haul trips most of the time over the past few years...

At the other end of the scale, last week I was all set for a long awaited go at the Rum Cuillin and a night at Dibidil bothy - to the point I was sleeping in the car outside Mallaig ready for the 7:30am ferry, when the weather forecast took a total dive after looking decent in the run up (possible lightning on a ridge with few ways off didn't appeal) and so I canned it. That was basically a 400 mile round trip and lots of time used which I could have really done without.

In the end, I picked a totally random walk based on which OS maps I had in the glovebox and ended up doing Meall na h-Eilde and Geal Charn, two Corbetts on Loch Arkaig I'd never even heard of before. Turned out to be a relatively enjoyable walk, with some decent, hazy views out to the exciting stuff further west and (unsurprisingly) not a soul to be seen.

DSC02904.thumb.jpg.06b5cb475caa07016567a8a6502bf650.jpg

Last night after dinner, I was bored and suddenly realised it would *literally* be a crime not to do a summit camp when the weather was so good. Headed to Talla reservoir which is (a) close to me and (b) one of the most photogenic corners of the Borders. Started walking at 8pm, pitched on top of Garelet Hill and then went for a wander over Erie Hill to Garelet Dod - still plenty of light at 10:45pm when I got back to the tent.....Was home in time for taking the kids to school and getting to work this morning...

1819019025_untitledshoot-013.thumb.jpg.14bff0a36a47da44e9cf61a15ca04cbc.jpg

806787641_untitledshoot-024.thumb.jpg.71fc8bc071c185d989fc6aef485842ba.jpg

671046509_untitledshoot-039.thumb.jpg.5e54eb6445d8eaf6b380e966a50cb4ab.jpg

853254008_untitledshoot-053.thumb.jpg.acb3bdcc372e51dfe1507cf33d83966b.jpg

1642369179_untitledshoot-063.thumb.jpg.647512da8fab9c306c992c491692340f.jpg

412648179_untitledshoot-080.thumb.jpg.832b7bbe9feb5cc96b426c13dd6be32d.jpg

2 hours ago, Swello said:

Last night after dinner, I was bored and suddenly realised it would *literally* be a crime not to do a summit camp when the weather was so good. Headed to Talla reservoir which is (a) close to me and (b) one of the most photogenic corners of the Borders. Started walking at 8pm, pitched on top of Garelet Hill and then went for a wander over Erie Hill to Garelet Dod - still plenty of light at 10:45pm when I got back to the tent.....Was home in time for taking the kids to school and getting to work this morning...

That is absolutely superb. Very jealous.

1 minute ago, microdave said:
13 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:
Which one?

Of course. The Mull one. I was having a look at walk highlands and was a bit worried that it looked rather long but they have two routes to go up. I'll do the more straightforward one.

I've climbed it a few times as I'm in Mull a lot - which route are you planning?

The Ridge route is great fun - but has it's moments - the "main" route is very easy indeed navigation wise - even in the cloud...

Edited by Swello

I had mighty plans to head out this evening to Glen Shiel and take on the Five Sisters tomorrow but I’ve shat out of it. I’m moving flat on Sunday and I’m burnt to a crisp after work today. I also think I’ve underestimated how a big a day it would be, what with having to walk 3 hours back to my car once I’ve finished. One for another day I think with a companion who had a car. If my sunburns aren’t so bad tomorrow I’ll maybe head up Ben Wyvis for an easy day out. I’m absolutely dying to do a solo camp on a summit though. There would have been some lucky fuckers today who did just that last night because the cloud immersions would have been tremendous. I got a taste for them at the top of the hill I was working on today.

IMG_5762.jpg

10 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I had mighty plans to head out this evening to Glen Shiel and take on the Five Sisters tomorrow but I’ve shat out of it. I’m moving flat on Sunday and I’m burnt to a crisp after work today. I also think I’ve underestimated how a big a day it would be, what with having to walk 3 hours back to my car once I’ve finished. One for another day I think with a companion who had a car. If my sunburns aren’t so bad tomorrow I’ll maybe head up Ben Wyvis for an easy day out. I’m absolutely dying to do a solo camp on a summit though. There would have been some lucky fuckers today who did just that last night because the cloud immersions would have been tremendous. I got a taste for them at the top of the hill I was working on today.

IMG_5762.jpg

You can get a taxi  back for about a tenner or get bus

It is a big day though. Brutal steep start and no water on the ridge.

What do you work as?

Edited by invergowrie arab

You can get a taxi  back for about a tenner or get bus
It is a big day though. Brutal steep start and no water on the ridge.
What do you work as?

That’s good to know, thanks. I did read that this was possible from a review but took it with a pinch of salt - so at least I know now it can definitely be done! I’m an ecologist. A good 7 hours spent on that hill bird watching today...

1 hour ago, microdave said:
1 hour ago, Swello said:
I've climbed it a few times as I'm in Mull a lot - which route are you planning?

The route from Dhiseig.

There isn't really much to it - it's a sea level start obviously, so it's a reasonable climb but not a long distance. As you get higher, the path is very defined and there are not really any opportunities to go wrong. It being Mull, the weather can change really quickly, so don't assume anything based on a good weather forecast :)

View of the ridge route from the summit from when I was there last year in case you're interested:

IMG_20180706_125036.jpg

I'll be there in a couple of weeks but I'll be climbing the Corbett at Craignure this year....

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

That’s good to know, thanks. I did read that this was possible from a review but took it with a pinch of salt - so at least I know now it can definitely be done! I’m an ecologist. A good 7 hours spent on that hill bird watching today...

After I had walk the 7 miles back to the Cluanie Inn after a 9 hour hill day on the south shiel ridge I would advise getting the bus at the start of the day.

Up to 11 munros done, not much to crow about but a belter of a day and delighted to be in to double figures :)

Did Carn an Tuirc; Cairn of Claise and Glas Maol. It was about 25 degrees and we decided against Creag Leacach - stupidly forgot our juice/energy drink in the car ; but had enough water, pieces and fruit/snacks for the day. Coming down Glas Maol was quite the task though, it was beautiful but wouldn't fancy doing that in the thick haar(do they get haar that far in land?)fog without a GPS or OS map. Found our way down, and I had the task of walking the 2 kms or so back to the carpark to get the car.

Heading off to just outside Crieff for a few days and anyone got a good suggestion for a few munros to do? I'm looking at Cruach Ardrain/Beinn Tulaichean or Ben Vorlich/Stuc a' Chroin, but if anyone knows of a belter to do then would love a hand. Will be heading back up the road on Friday so on the way home, I'm going to detour via Meall Nan Tarmachan - always fancied it for some reason (think the name alone).

Anyhoos, happy hiking folks! Got the bug big time!

24 minutes ago, Kejan said:

Heading off to just outside Crieff for a few days and anyone got a good suggestion for a few munros to do? I'm looking at Cruach Ardrain/Beinn Tulaichean or Ben Vorlich/Stuc a' Chroin, but if anyone knows of a belter to do then would love a hand. Will be heading back up the road on Friday so on the way home, I'm going to detour via Meall Nan Tarmachan - always fancied it for some reason (think the name alone).

The Tarmachan ridge is a real classic IMO - that's quite difficult to beat round there - you can either do it as a straightforward up and back or do the whole ridge (which is the highlight). Ben Lawers is across the road and is the easiest 4000 footer for beginners - high start, good path and a bonus non-descript Munro on the way up....

Ben Chonzie is closest Munro to Crieff - it's a bit of a bore TBH but might be worth doing given you are so close. How far are you prepared to go? Schiehallion is less than an hour and it's a great viewpoint on a good day. It's also visible from almost everywhere, so it's great orienting yourself when you want to impress people by rhyming off the names of all the hills you can see :)

I’m heading to Skye in a few weeks time. Will be unable to climb any of the Munro’s this time but does anyone have any lesser known gems that will be good to visit, maybe somewhere that would be good for an overnight camp. I think my friend has picked out a walk from Sligachan to the fairy pools and I would like to go to Loch Coruisk and have a wander around.

13 hours ago, Swello said:

The Tarmachan ridge is a real classic IMO - that's quite difficult to beat round there - you can either do it as a straightforward up and back or do the whole ridge (which is the highlight). Ben Lawers is across the road and is the easiest 4000 footer for beginners - high start, good path and a bonus non-descript Munro on the way up....

Ben Chonzie is closest Munro to Crieff - it's a bit of a bore TBH but might be worth doing given you are so close. How far are you prepared to go? Schiehallion is less than an hour and it's a great viewpoint on a good day. It's also visible from almost everywhere, so it's great orienting yourself when you want to impress people by rhyming off the names of all the hills you can see :)

Done the Tarmachan ridge  a few years back in the winter, was a great walk but we shat out of the down climb at the end due to ice.  

ridge 2.jpg