Jump to content

Hillwalking Thread


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

West Lomond yesterday. Falkland hill in the pic. Some views you get for a wee hill.20180522_121127.jpg

For other wee hills you've got the Cleish hills and even Saline hill gives a great view. Can camp in or by the woods near the top too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gonna take my mate up Ben Vrackie on Friday as he's keen to get into hiking. Weather looks class on the Monday too, so a trip to Bridge of Orchy on the train to bag Beinn Dorain & Beinn an Dothaidh. Hopefully smash them in time for a pint at the hotel before I head back!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

Gonna take my mate up Ben Vrackie on Friday as he's keen to get into hiking. Weather looks class on the Monday too, so a trip to Bridge of Orchy on the train to bag Beinn Dorain & Beinn an Dothaidh. Hopefully smash them in time for a pint at the hotel before I head back!

Walked past Ben Dorain on the WHW - definitely one I want to do now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like a belter of a weekend so I'm going to go for a summit camp on one of Carn an Fhidhleir / An Sgarsoch.

They have been bugging me for years as the only wee dots of red east of the A9 on my munro map and I never fancied tackling the 26 miles over a single day

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I enjoy hill walking and I have been Conic Hill, Loch Lomond, Ingleborough, Yorkshire Dales, Schiehallion, Perthshire, etc, etc. and I certainly enjoy being out there in the outdoors and breathing fresh air. It is one of my favourite past times and provided the opportunity I would leave everything and make a career out of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like a belter of a weekend so I'm going to go for a summit camp on one of Carn an Fhidhleir / An Sgarsoch.
They have been bugging me for years as the only wee dots of red east of the A9 on my munro map and I never fancied tackling the 26 miles over a single day
I used an MTB. That track seems never ending. An Sgarsoch is probably the better summit, both though would be excellent pitches. Plenty of grassy patches.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

I used an MTB. That track seems never ending. An Sgarsoch is probably the better summit, both though would be excellent pitches. Plenty of grassy patches.

I read somewhere that they used to have a cattle market on top of one of those hills,, so there is plenty of space. Pleasant bike ride in - I dumped my bike at Geldie Lodge ruins but you can get a bit further easily enough..

Post-munros, I've been doing a mix of stuff - some bikepacking, some longer distance stuff with the tent, etc but not many big hills - this weekend looks like a belter, so I'm going to try to cross Rannoch Moor by packraft, hopefully including an island camp on Loch Ba'..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

I used an MTB. That track seems never ending. An Sgarsoch is probably the better summit, both though would be excellent pitches. Plenty of grassy patches.

We only have hybrid bikes but having walked the path from Glen Feshie to Braemar before i reckon they would be fine up to Geldie lodge.

Apparently there is talk of a new bothy up there in the coming years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

We only have hybrid bikes but having walked the path from Glen Feshie to Braemar before i reckon they would be fine up to Geldie lodge.

Apparently there is talk of a new bothy up there in the coming years.

Aye, you'd be alright with a hybrid. Mine's a hardtail but I had the suspension locked out for almost all of it. A new bothy will be interesting. Especially somewhere near the Geldie ruin. It's a fantastically remote, lonely place. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

Aye, you'd be alright with a hybrid. Mine's a hardtail but I had the suspension locked out for almost all of it. A new bothy will be interesting. Especially somewhere near the Geldie ruin. It's a fantastically remote, lonely place. 

It's meant to be at Ruighe Ealasaid NO 002869 that old cottage where the Geldie meets the Bynack

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's meant to be at Ruighe Ealasaid NO 002869 that old cottage where the Geldie meets the Bynack
Pretty logical location I guess with the path down Glen Tilt also close by.

I'll be camping at that ruin in a few days
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...