Hillwalking Thread

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 00:28, jupe1407 said:

Good forecast on Saturday, so after a 2 hours kip (thanks to our new anti-social c**t of a neighbour), left the house in Forfar at 4am to drive to Kilfinnan and the Loch Lochy pair. Biked in the forest track, then a fairly standard route. Although I had to lose height and tackle Meall na Teanga much lower down thanks to a mahoosive cornice. Absolutely fucked after it though and hasd to kip for a while in a layby beside Loch Laggan. Grand day out overall. 

41594086842_ffa0994769_z.jpg

Meall na Teanga

41594073482_6a933b03a3_z.jpg

Sron a'Choire Garbh summit plateau, Teanga and Nevis beyond

41634012471_d24caa8297_z.jpg

A couple of walkers on the "alternative" approach to Meall na Teanga

That middle photo is a cracker

• 2 weeks later...

Going to tackle Ben Vorlich next Saturday.  Has anyone on here done this before?  We are aiming to leave Glasgow about 8 am, with the intention of parking up at 9.30 am, with a 10 am start.  My questions are, is this an easy enough walk for a fairly inexperienced climber?  I'm going with my girlfriend, and we've only done Ben Lomond and Ben Chonzie together, but she managed them with little or no fuss.  Also, is it worth adding in the additional couple of hours to take on Stuc a'Chroin?

Going to tackle Ben Vorlich next Saturday.  Has anyone on here done this before?  We are aiming to leave Glasgow about 8 am, with the intention of parking up at 9.30 am, with a 10 am start.  My questions are, is this an easy enough walk for a fairly inexperienced climber?  I'm going with my girlfriend, and we've only done Ben Lomond and Ben Chonzie together, but she managed them with little or no fuss.  Also, is it worth adding in the additional couple of hours to take on Stuc a'Chroin?

I did Ben Vorlich in March in the snow, complete whiteout at the top though so couldn’t manage across to Stuc a’Chroin.

Even in wintery conditions, it was a fairly easy ascent. Highlight was sliding the majority of the way back down on my arse, in about 10 minutes.

Here’s my view at the top.

IMG_9821.thumb.jpg.b0cab66445cc2aca0cc1c54a625b5838.jpg

IMG_9820.thumb.jpg.c1f527313cf5350110290812794c6e09.jpg

23 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

I did Ben Vorlich in March in the snow, complete whiteout at the top though so couldn’t manage across to Stuc a’Chroin.

Even in wintery conditions, it was a fairly easy ascent. Highlight was sliding the majority of the way back down on my arse, in about 10 minutes.

Here’s my view at the top.

IMG_9821.thumb.jpg.b0cab66445cc2aca0cc1c54a625b5838.jpg

IMG_9820.thumb.jpg.c1f527313cf5350110290812794c6e09.jpg

Excellent news, and excellent photos. I take it you didn't get a good view of Loch Earn from the top then ;)

It's a bit of a trek down to the Corrie then I went too far right over boulders and went up a big scree slope. Going back you can skirt round vorlich and meet up with the main path again on the other side. When you climb vorlich look out for a substantial path to the right about two thirds of the way up. That's where you come back. 

I think the main path up to Stuc is a bit scrambly but easy enough. The scree slope is slippy, just about took an entire family out with a 20 foot slide tackle coming down. 

:lol:

Edit, here is the scree slope, yellow path. I don't know how I went so far right that day?

https://rennyrambles.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/stuc-route.jpg

Edited by D.A.F.C

28 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Going up to Pitlochry for a few days at the end of this month

Anyonr recommend a decent walk of around 4 -5 hours ?

Reasonably fit but inexperienced hill walker, so route will need to be pretty easy to follow 

cheers 

Ben Vrackie, a decent wee Corbett is closest. You start from near the Moulin Hotel. Easy to follow path all the way, with just the final pull to the summit being steep.

Schiehallion is also quite a quick day. From memory it's something like 7 miles in total, and in decent conditions should be a 4-5 hour walk. The final section to the summit is pretty bouldery though. 

31 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Ben Vrackie, a decent wee Corbett is closest. You start from near the Moulin Hotel. Easy to follow path all the way, with just the final pull to the summit being steep.

Schiehallion is also quite a quick day. From memory it's something like 7 miles in total, and in decent conditions should be a 4-5 hour walk. The final section to the summit is pretty bouldery though. 

Cheers 

I’ll have a wee look at these 

On 05/05/2018 at 06:51, Unleash The Nade said:

Going up to Pitlochry for a few days at the end of this month

Anyonr recommend a decent walk of around 4 -5 hours ?

Reasonably fit but inexperienced hill walker, so route will need to be pretty easy to follow 

cheers 

Would second the Ben Vrackie shout. I've done it 7 times, it's a great walk. Very flat for most of it and the final ascent is pretty exhausting but some great views. Plus you can take the train and walk to the Moulin Inn within half an hour easily. Great grub there.

A few months back, I decided to go for Beinn Lora above Connel which I had climbed a few times before, it is a good viewpoint for minimal effort. The forestry had improved a number of the paths since I was last here although the part above the forest and before the final climb resembled a bog.  A picture of a view up Loch Etive:

Loch Etive.jpg

I've been up in Lochcarron for a week, had a pretty mixed week with atrocious weather in the NW. However managed to get the remote pair of Lurg Mor and Cheesecake done, amid hailstones, gales, and strangely sunshine. The cycle in and out is pretty brutal each way.

IMG_20180510_153945.jpgIMG_20180510_132831.jpg

This was two days after an utterly miserable outing to Meall a'Chrasgaidh, I was completely fucked after two big days on the MTB and road bike, and the bike in by Loch Fannich was 11 miles of headwind and driving rain. I basically took 8+ hours and 34 miles to do a shite hill which is a piece of piss from the north instead.

IMG_20180508_160620.jpg
IMG_20180508_174104.jpg

[emoji38]

Done the wee Conic hill at Balmaha last week, the car park is a fucking embarrassment, there must have been hundreds of families couldn't get in with police stopping hundreds more at Drymen from even getting through.

Always the same on a hot day , complete shambles.

First Munro's for an age last weekend. Beinn a' Chaorainn and Beinn Teallach above Loch Laggan and my body is still a wreck. Beinn a' Chaorainn is like walking on a wet sponge.

Most of the snow has gone but watch those cornices lads.

Weather looks OK for a far north trip this weekend so hopefully Ben Wyvis on Saturday and Ben Hope on Sunday.

IMAG1325.jpg

Done Ben Vorlich yesterday, was a very enjoyable walk. Quite a steep last couple of hundred feet but the views at the top were absolutely outstanding, seeing Ben Lomond to the West and the Firth of Forth to the East, just breathtaking. First time I have also ever seen someone go taps aff at a summit as well!

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg

Well Ben Wyvis and Ben Hope aren't two hills to do on consecutive days. Both short but both straight up and steep as hell with no let up till the top. Amazing views from both though.

Lots of people are against wind farms but I don't think they look that bad, not as bad as monoculture "forests"

IMAG1346.jpg

IMG_20180514_192330_675.jpg

Went for a wee wander around the Pentlands yesterday as I'm gonna start on the Munro's in a couple of weeks and I've let myself turn into a lazy fat shit. Ended up hiking about for about 5 hours, was some day for it.

Is a P&B team Munro hike out of the question?