Hillwalking Thread

On 28/08/2017 at 18:02, Swello said:

Just back from a bit of an epic in Galloway, which is an area that I didn't know well - I knew the weather was looking ropy but it wasn't looking great anywhere and so went for it anyway. Yesterday, Climbed the Merrick, Kirriereoch Hill, Tarfessock and Shalloch an Minnoch and then wild camped at a place called "Willie's Shiel" which must be one of the the most isolated former houses I've encountered. Today, I climbed Mullwharchar, Dungeon Hill and Craignaw. 2 Corbetts, 2 Grahams and er, 7 Donalds...

Weather was grim today, so no views but Dungeon hill and Craignaw feel like they've been transported from the Highlands - very rocky and I would climb them on a nicer day if it wasn't for the worst bogfest of a path that I've ever been on (and that's saying something) that leads into them....my sense of humour took a major kicking on the walk out today...Loch Neldricken was also a fantastic wild spot which I'd never heard of before this trip...

I live in the Galloway area and love the walking. The Rhinns of Kell is a long, tiring ridge walk( no hairy cliff stuff tho- large rounded hills) with stunning views across the Galloway range, over to Arran, Ayrshire and down  to the Lake District.  For such great walking, it is usually quiet. Apart from the Merrick, which is often busy, the other hills are usually empty. I have gone all day at times and never met another walker. 

There is great mountain biking in Glentrool and around Newton Stewart which is bringing people and money to the area.

Galloway is an under-rated area with potential long days and some strenuous hills. Well worth a visit. 

First Hill of the year for me on Sunday. I'd kept an eye on the weather and bookmarked the Sunday and got rewarded.
Dalmally Horseshoe up Sron An Isean shoulder then Stob Diamh and close the loop via Stob Garbh. Great views over to Cruachan summit and Ben Lui. 7bf76c17b8404bc13e467b49e786b7ec.jpgaf251239f8ce620ec1464c3e67abb533.jpgcc46df90480ecac0b49b8b8adf359b8a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/11/2017 at 16:51, Zetterlund said:

Cracking day for a wander today so I finally got round to checking out Kinnoull Hill & tower. Some views along the Tay and to the Kingdom.

20171105_134624.thumb.jpg.f9d5f23dbda90070607c401ed656067b.jpg

20171105_134927.thumb.jpg.76e02ccbbe52d2b8ab2071f075f36121.jpg

If you can be arsed with the early rise, head up there before sunrise in mid-to late January. The sun comes up pretty much in line with the Tay and it's some sight. 

Oh aye, hill photos 

Last two trips were a bike into Ben Alder & Beinn Bheoil. One of those cloudy/almost clear days with some nice autumn light. Took the standard route up the Long Leachas to Alder, followed by a shite descent before heading up Bheoil then back to the bike. Something like 29 miles overall, in and out in 8.5 hours which was not bad considering the time spent taking photos and fannying about enjoying the views on the way up Alder. 

37994307552_f3d2996126_z.jpg

38025078471_32a6783dbc_z.jpg

38025086201_7541e5b5ab_z.jpg

A couple of weeks later it was Carn a'Chlamain. Pretty standard cycle in, up and down and back to the car in about 4 hours. Pretty boring hill, though I got some decent views. Bitingly cold wind at the summit though. After that I headed through for a night in Gorton Bothy. A fine weekend.

37756029674_f877babff1_z.jpg

6 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Oh aye, hill photos 

Have to say that is fantastic landscape photography. Your stuff on here is definitely improving from a high level start. Bear in mind that I know nothing about photography and your stag picture was a bit shit, though I see why you took it.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Have to say that is fantastic landscape photography. Your stuff on here is definitely improving from a high level start. Bear in mind that I know nothing about photography and your stag picture was a bit shit, though I see why you took it.

Cheers, the stag pic is technically not great, but it's the closest I've ever got to one of the fucking things :lol:

At the same spot I had one of these fuckers trying to pinch my sandwiches on the way in: 

37316274084_c67cbba9a0_z.jpg

:lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Looking to buy a pair of walking boots around £100 and don’t know whether to go for leather or lighter weight Goretex type .

Any recommendations  greatly appreciated 

I like my Asolo Boots best allrounders but little tight in the toe box, Avalon GTX about 100 quid also have Keen lightweight mid boots which are very comfortable but the waterproofing isn't great think they're about 90 quid.  Also been out n about on a couple o local hills Narnain and Donich 

27545118_1583773091658595_3892970550491503482_n.jpg

IMG_20180106_122027039.jpg

30 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

I like my Asolo Boots best allrounders but little tight in the toe box, Avalon GTX about 100 quid also have Keen lightweight mid boots which are very comfortable but the waterproofing isn't great think they're about 90 quid.  Also been out n about on a couple o local hills Narnain and Donich 

27545118_1583773091658595_3892970550491503482_n.jpg

IMG_20180106_122027039.jpg

Cheers

The Asolo Avalon GTX boots look good as get great reviews

Did you buy online or buy them from a Scottish stockists, if so , which one ?

Thanks 

2 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Cheers

The Asolo Avalon GTX boots look good as get great reviews

Did you buy online or buy them from a Scottish stockists, if so , which one ?

Thanks 

Got them online, went a 1/2 size up and were fine. Keep an eye out for discounts as a lot of outdoor suppliers seem to offer 5-15% on first order.

My last two pairs of 3 season boots were Scarpa ZG s they are fucking excellent boots.

Unfortunately it looks like you don't get them any more but the scarpa mistrals look like they are very similar.

Usually about 120 but you could shop around.

I wouldn't bother with leather unless I was buying winter boots.