Hillwalking Thread

17 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

11 years ago I took this up and have never looked back. Two work colleagues chose Ben Vane for my first Munro and it nearly scunnered me. Today I went back to it, determined to enjoy it more than my first visit.

5977ab216468d_23.Lookingupagain.JPG.2f5deb444c2487e2d6deafe11b6a3bf0.JPG

Looking up the steep lower slopes.

5977ab239c441_76.MeatthesummitofBenVane.JPG.2e13558a74ed5f7ff72dc0c2f23afb43.JPG

Me at the summit.

5977ab25a70de_92.BeinnIme.JPG.c421d933a6d9f88500a25fac5b4e9b3a.JPG

Beinn Ime after the clouds lifted.

5977ab27e77d6_94.LochSloyDam.JPG.05ccac9b38586c09b48954cd36ee6eee.JPG

Loch Sloy Dam through the clouds.

5977ab29f0523_118.AChroisdrenchedinsunlight.JPG.881788c6deb11dcfa75a0cfa2ff18fde.JPG

A' Chrois

5977ab2c4ec10_122.MeonthedescentofBenVane.JPG.ce5109e984cd31fe550499670d7016c7.JPG

Me on the descent.

Image result for i shot jr father ted

On 25/07/2017 at 13:55, Adam said:
Anyone got any advice for Ben Chonzie?  Thinking of taking a saunter up there in a couple of weeks.

It wasn't overly difficult in February in knee deep snow and at times a complete whiteout, doubt you'll have much bother.

My hat had actually frozen solid to the shape of my head.

43dc5d50d9778702d8aa8e0469cc4e09.jpge7f3d6bf94fe9b9908787a3048f6e682.jpg

IMG_7718.PNG

Edited by MONKMAN

• 2 weeks later...

I decided on Sunday to head up to Linn of Dee to do Beinn Bhrotain and Monadh Mor (forecast was better up there than almost anywhere else) - I'd done these two from Glen Feshie three years ago - a boring as f**k route featuring a freezing cold river crossing and where I injured my knee resulting in 2 years of pain and annoyance. Great hills :lol:

Anyway, I thought they'd be more interesting from the east. Biked in about 5 miles then walked another 5.5 miles through Glen Geusachan to the bealach above the brutally steep and pathless Coire Cath nam Fionn, did the two and dropped back off Beinn Bhrotain. I had wanted to summit Carn Cloich Mhuillin as it was originally a munro and was to be Sir Hugh's final one (he croaked first) - however it pished down shortly after we left BB's summit so we just headed back to the bikes. About 60% of the walk was pretty boggy, the ascent up the Corrie was utter hell.

Basically they suck from both sides but at least from the Linn of Dee you can bike a bit and the views are better.

35631976033_2b9d8760f3_z.jpg

35631970583_fcc14ff44a_z.jpg

Took in the Loch Lochy Munro's on Sunday after United game on Saturday.

Tremendous views from Inverness to Mull.

Got down just as the heavens opened and was thinking I would be fucking raging at MWIS forecast if I was around Glen Spean as it was tipping it down.

I'm doing my usual now and getting to peak of fitness towards end of summer and fancying multi day trips just as football starts again and weather gets colder and days shorter.

Was out last weekend near Neuchatel and took a walk up Creux du Van. Decent wee trip, about 16km start to finish with an 800m or so climb and some spectacular views at the top onto the valley below and the alps in the distance. Quite a few routes you can take, the one we took was easy going up the way but fairly testing on the way down with the back of the hill not getting any sun and being pretty wet and slippy all the way down. The sheer drop at the edge was pretty fucking intimidating. Need to do a bit more of that over here, so many routes I want to take in but just not made the time to do it yet.

WL_286_11_CreuxduVan_T.jpg

Picture is obviously not mine but the path around the top is about 2-3 meters from the edge all the way round, though there are other paths a bit further back. The sheer drop is about 180m off the cliff face.

My neighbour had been asking me to take her walking and we finally managed to find a Sunday we were both free. Weather was iffy, so I opted for something fairly weather-proof - Meall nan Tarmachan, The rain came in earlier than expected but we were lucky in that for a very brief moment the clouds blew over to give us a view at the summit.

As we came off the southeast top on the way down, we met a guy on the way up with his dog. We told him we got a brief view and that he might get lucky. He passed us about 15 minutes later saying he got nothing. I suspect that he thought that the southeast top was the actual summit - if he'd had a map on him it would have told him otherwise.

5989efe021e11_9.Wispsofcloudbehindus-small.jpg.34a2e5db4e4d1283b1ee6813063212d0.jpg

Looking down just as we entered the cloud.

5989efe4036a7_42.LookingovertoMeallGarbh-small.jpg.9d522e8ecff29d3cf9864ac0176ddb57.jpg

Looking along the range from the summit in the very short time that we could see it.

5989efe6b23fd_58.Lookingbackattheascent-small.jpg.a8156e2520afdbe436a7d09176293bc0.jpg

Looking back at the upper slopes as we went back up the south top.

Edited by AyrshireTon
typo

Went on the looooong drive to west Glen Lyon yesterday to do Stuchd an Lochain and Meall Buidhe. The former was a decent hill with a tiring ascent initially, the latter was a crap bogfest until I reached the top ridge. Met a family on the ridge - their boys were wearing St. Johnstone bunnets. Didn't get the legendary summit views as the cloud had rolled in when I got there. On the way off Meall Buidhe, just before getting back to the peat hags, I slipped on my arse and slid down a small section of mud. At least I had a towel for the car seat.

Happy to have done these two, but I doubt I'll be back in a hurry.

598d52267d007_40.LochannanCat-small.jpg.c794aef56baca3f26bbbd10cdc58dfa4.jpg

Lochan nan Cat below the summit of Stuchd an Lochain.

598d52296296d_57.MeallBuidhe-small.jpg.7a8b90cd393546b8ff754db32b1b3f34.jpg

Looking over to Meall Buidhe from the summit of Stuchd an Lochain.

598d522bcc652_115.LookingalongLochnaDaimh-small.jpg.16513b6e2e74f3cc4262349177846ef2.jpg

Looking along Loch na Daimh on the ascent of Meall Buidhe.

Did Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin on Wednesday. The date had been chosen weeks in advance as my mate had to book time off work, so we got unbelievably lucky with the weather. Ben Vorlich was very straightforward - a good path leading onto a broad ridge, a little tough on the thighs for the last couple of hundred metres, but it would be a decent choice of first Munro for an inexperienced walker. Stuc a Chroin involved a fair drop into a bealach and then a bit of a scramble up the buttress on the right of the photo below:

598de2261ae22_StucaChroin2.thumb.jpg.3cd7fbec255a6ad4fbbe2cb080e80e44.jpg:

It was quite hard going, but only for 20 minutes or so, and then the final walk up to the summit was very gentle. Stunning 360 views from the tops of both hills - looking south west we could see as far as Arran, taken through the long lens below:

598de354858ab_ArranfromStucaChroin.thumb.jpg.153809779ca4368e297c0cc87e2defff.jpg

Beautiful wee lochan just as we stared our descent too:

598de3a5ce1cb_StucaChroin.thumb.jpg.fb82f5dbb75f5c464749dfe48be34f51.jpg

The walk back around Stuc a Chroin to join up with the original path up to Ben Vorlich was a bit boggy in places, but easy enough. A cracking day out, and a nice drive through Strathearn from Perth to get there too - would definitely recommend.  

14 hours ago, alternative maryhill said:

Did Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin on Wednesday. The date had been chosen weeks in advance as my mate had to book time off work, so we got unbelievably lucky with the weather. Ben Vorlich was very straightforward - a good path leading onto a broad ridge, a little tough on the thighs for the last couple of hundred metres, but it would be a decent choice of first Munro for an inexperienced walker. Stuc a Chroin involved a fair drop into a bealach and then a bit of a scramble up the buttress on the right of the photo below:

598de2261ae22_StucaChroin2.thumb.jpg.3cd7fbec255a6ad4fbbe2cb080e80e44.jpg:

It was quite hard going, but only for 20 minutes or so, and then the final walk up to the summit was very gentle. Stunning 360 views from the tops of both hills - looking south west we could see as far as Arran, taken through the long lens below:

598de354858ab_ArranfromStucaChroin.thumb.jpg.153809779ca4368e297c0cc87e2defff.jpg

Beautiful wee lochan just as we stared our descent too:

598de3a5ce1cb_StucaChroin.thumb.jpg.fb82f5dbb75f5c464749dfe48be34f51.jpg

The walk back around Stuc a Chroin to join up with the original path up to Ben Vorlich was a bit boggy in places, but easy enough. A cracking day out, and a nice drive through Strathearn from Perth to get there too - would definitely recommend.  

Did Ben Vorlich a month or so ago as well but we were not so lucky with the weather. By the time we got to the top it was raining and we couldn't see more than 5 metres in front of us. Decided to patch Stuc a Chroin, I'll do it another time as I believe there's an alternative route that doesn't involve Ben Vorlich.

On 11/08/2017 at 07:50, AyrshireTon said:

Went on the looooong drive to west Glen Lyon yesterday to do Stuchd an Lochain and Meall Buidhe. The former was a decent hill with a tiring ascent initially, the latter was a crap bogfest until I reached the top ridge. Met a family on the ridge - their boys were wearing St. Johnstone bunnets. Didn't get the legendary summit views as the cloud had rolled in when I got there. On the way off Meall Buidhe, just before getting back to the peat hags, I slipped on my arse and slid down a small section of mud. At least I had a towel for the car seat.

Happy to have done these two, but I doubt I'll be back in a hurry.

598d52267d007_40.LochannanCat-small.jpg.c794aef56baca3f26bbbd10cdc58dfa4.jpg

Lochan nan Cat below the summit of Stuchd an Lochain.

598d52296296d_57.MeallBuidhe-small.jpg.7a8b90cd393546b8ff754db32b1b3f34.jpg

Looking over to Meall Buidhe from the summit of Stuchd an Lochain.

598d522bcc652_115.LookingalongLochnaDaimh-small.jpg.16513b6e2e74f3cc4262349177846ef2.jpg

Looking along Loch na Daimh on the ascent of Meall Buidhe.

I did these after a dry spell a couple of months ago, and like you, I can't see them being repeated. 

Stuchd is a nice enough hill, but Meall Buidhe was a total bog-slog, moreso after having to return to the dam. 

ETA, Was supposed to be en-route to Rannoch Moor for the White Corries pair, but I couldn't be arsed. Saving my legs for what will almost certainly be an interminable bogfest on Sgiath Chuil/Meall Glas tomorrow. 

Edited by jupe1407

Just now, jupe1407 said:

I did these after a dry spell a couple of months ago, and like you, I can't see them being repeated. 

Stuchd is a nice enough hill, but Meall Buidhe was a total bog-slog, moreso after having to return to the dam. 

It was a new experience coming off Stuchd an Lochain and having to walk past the car on my way to doing Meall Buidhe.

12 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

It was a new experience coming off Stuchd an Lochain and having to walk past the car on my way to doing Meall Buidhe.

It's weird. Don't think I've had that on any other route. FAR too tempting to get the keys out :lol:

21 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I didn't walk past the car I just went home after SaL.

Saved Meall Buidhe for winter. Stunning views straight down Glencoe and was able to glissade almost all the way down. Think I did the whole thing in around 3 hours.

I glissaded too - just not on snow.

Finally got round to doing the two munros above the White Corries Ski Centre on Sunday. No idea why I've ignored them for so long. A very straightforward walk, I think we were under 4.5 hours for the pair. No views though as the cloud based was a rather inconsiderate. 

Bumped into a couple of other walkers we knew in the cafe at the start who passed us on the chairlift, obviously photos taken and pish taking commenced on Facebook :lol:

36552822085_ae485957b9_z.jpg

36414642821_2a0e3b6aba_z.jpg

I'm on 195 now, and hoping for a decent forecast for the weekend after next, as I'd quite like my 200th to be a summit bivvy on A'Mhaighdean.

35 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Finally got round to doing the two munros above the White Corries Ski Centre on Sunday. No idea why I've ignored them for so long. A very straightforward walk, I think we were under 4.5 hours for the pair. No views though as the cloud based was a rather inconsiderate. 

Bumped into a couple of other walkers we knew in the cafe at the start who passed us on the chairlift, obviously photos taken and pish taking commenced on Facebook :lol:

36552822085_ae485957b9_z.jpg

36414642821_2a0e3b6aba_z.jpg

I'm on 195 now, and hoping for a decent forecast for the weekend after next, as I'd quite like my 200th to be a summit bivvy on A'Mhaighdean.

My joint favourite Munro (along with about 8 others :) ) - certainly a clear winner in the Best View from a Summit category - I've got a plan to paddle in to the causeway in the Packraft and do it again sometime soon. Given the length of the walk in, etc - definitely one to keep for a clear day/night. I'm sure you've looked into it already but there is a mildly scrambly route that is better than heading up the main path when heading up from the causeway side - via Fuar Loch Beag and Fuar Loch Mor...