Hillwalking Thread

On 17/07/2017 at 10:12, Swello said:

One of the main reasons I very rarely head to the Lakes despite them being closer to me than lots of Highland areas - can't stand the processions up the hills. I was in Ambleside for the weekend a couple of months back and even climbing a relatively obscure hill, there were more people than I've ever seen on a hill in Scotland. Makes you realise how lucky we are.

Though not exactly hillwalking, we were walking in Dovedale in Derbyshire and even early on a Friday morning there was a lot of other people walking the same area. I agree that we don't get nearly as much in Scotland.

9 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Though not exactly hillwalking, we were walking in Dovedale in Derbyshire and even early on a Friday morning there was a lot of other people walking the same area. I agree that we don't get nearly as much in Scotland.

I also find that there is bit less "camaraderie" (to use a shite expression) in the busier English areas. When you're in the middle of nowhere in Scotland and run in to someone, whether they are on a bike, walking, on skis, etc - you stop for a chat, let them know anything useful and head on. Down south, where there is so much more contention for the land, there is a lot less of that and you get walkers vs bikers vs horseriders and all of that shite. It's not for me - but they do have much better country pubs to be fair :)

42 minutes ago, Chinese Whisperer said:

Had a nice walk near Hathersage in the Peak District yesterday evening. T-shirt weather at 8pm. f82f9932b3e6ac34732f1075886e3133.jpg

I was there on Sunday, we went through Hathersage on our way back from Derby. Lovely place though ruined by triathletes running and cycling about the place.

On 7/16/2017 at 23:33, invergowrie arab said:

Well Beinn Oss and Dubhchraig wont be getting repeats.1200 m of fucking bog. That said nice views.

Still to do these two - am waiting for the end of a solid week of sunshine before going near them.

Last week we had a short break in Aviemore so I took my son up his first Munro. Conditions were perfect, although he said he had been hoping to "touch the cloud" which had been over the summit early on.

SAM_6510.JPG.d92bc4b5e24c40d050ed8d2e141961ec.JPG

SAM_6535.JPG.782c93c199fbca5ee39b157d85a0665f.JPG

SAM_6537.JPG.6f4f14493e5852258a09610b529decf0.JPG

5 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Still to do these two - am waiting for the end of a solid week of sunshine before going near them.

Last week we had a short break in Aviemore so I took my son up his first Munro. Conditions were perfect, although he said he had been hoping to "touch the cloud" which had been over the summit early on.

SAM_6510.JPG.d92bc4b5e24c40d050ed8d2e141961ec.JPG

SAM_6535.JPG.782c93c199fbca5ee39b157d85a0665f.JPG

SAM_6537.JPG.6f4f14493e5852258a09610b529decf0.JPG

Brilliant- well done to him as there's loads of easier ones than Cairngorm. And he's been up one of the highest mountains in the country..

PS - Oss/dubhcraig are always a horrible bog  fest :)

Had a mixed weekend in the Alder hills. I'd done the ridge of 4 in December, but repeated them with couple of mates. We stayed in the condemned bothy for 2 nights and despite some midge b*****ds causing havoc, the weather was better than forecast. Annoyingly I've done those 4 twice with a total of 1 singular summit view. 

I need Ben Alder and Bheoil to finish in there but was flattened with a cold/flu thing from final summit on the Saturday. Had to bale on Alder/Bheoil today, and a normally easy 10 mile bike ridge left me feeling pretty broken.

At least it's a good excuse to return (again)

35308195073_e331572f72_z.jpg

36074717496_b145b53265_z.jpg

36074714996_9ba9120a95_z.jpg

35982706451_7656759a19_z.jpg

35725101780_843d355b0f_z.jpg

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00h30p5
Discovered this at the weekend. Pretty decent look at Scottish hills. It's got English subtitles.

Yep - it's great. Assuming it's the same programme, I bought it on DVD years ago and my memory is that it was on STV originally when they still had some sort of Gaelic remit. I had no idea it had surfaced on Alba, so great find..

21 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

Had a mixed weekend in the Alder hills. I'd done the ridge of 4 in December, but repeated them with couple of mates. We stayed in the condemned bothy for 2 nights and despite some midge b*****ds causing havoc, the weather was better than forecast. Annoyingly I've done those 4 twice with a total of 1 singular summit view. 

I need Ben Alder and Bheoil to finish in there but was flattened with a cold/flu thing from final summit on the Saturday. Had to bale on Alder/Bheoil today, and a normally easy 10 mile bike ridge left me feeling pretty broken.

At least it's a good excuse to return (again)

35308195073_e331572f72_z.jpg

36074717496_b145b53265_z.jpg

36074714996_9ba9120a95_z.jpg

35982706451_7656759a19_z.jpg

35725101780_843d355b0f_z.jpg

Are you getting good with filters? The colours and detail are amazing, ones that you see occasionally but rarely transfer through a camera.

Edited by welshbairn

Are you getting good with filters? The colours and detail are amazing, ones that you see occasionally but rarely transfer through a camera.

I didn't use physical filters on these, I edit my photos in lightroom and there's a grad filter in there you can use. It's basic but does the job. Ironically I'd carted my tripod and filter sets in there but never used them [emoji38] The midges were too hellish to be staying in one place for more than few seconds.

The camera is a good bit of kit as well which helps. I switched from a Canon full frame dslr to a full frame Sony a7ii in December and it's been great for hillwalks as it's lighter and less bulky. Good resolution as well.

I do use actual filters a lot, just not on those shots.

2 hours ago, Adam said:

Anyone got any advice for Ben Chonzie?  Thinking of taking a saunter up there in a couple of weeks.

It's very straightforward to be honest - there's even a handy fence if the clouds are down and your navigation skills aren't up to it :)

Amy reason in particular why you're doing it, if you don't me asking ? A lot of folk seem to do Chonzie as one of their early munros as it's one of the "easiest" but I've never seen the appeal having been up there 3 times (twice with newbies).  Slight digression but when I get to choose a straightforward day for others in that part of the world, I usually suggest the Tarmachan as there is way more reward for a similar level of effort - and the possibility to do the ridge if the group is up to it.. 

11 years ago I took this up and have never looked back. Two work colleagues chose Ben Vane for my first Munro and it nearly scunnered me. Today I went back to it, determined to enjoy it more than my first visit.

5977ab216468d_23.Lookingupagain.JPG.2f5deb444c2487e2d6deafe11b6a3bf0.JPG

Looking up the steep lower slopes.

5977ab239c441_76.MeatthesummitofBenVane.JPG.2e13558a74ed5f7ff72dc0c2f23afb43.JPG

Me at the summit.

5977ab25a70de_92.BeinnIme.JPG.c421d933a6d9f88500a25fac5b4e9b3a.JPG

Beinn Ime after the clouds lifted.

5977ab27e77d6_94.LochSloyDam.JPG.05ccac9b38586c09b48954cd36ee6eee.JPG

Loch Sloy Dam through the clouds.

5977ab29f0523_118.AChroisdrenchedinsunlight.JPG.881788c6deb11dcfa75a0cfa2ff18fde.JPG

A' Chrois

5977ab2c4ec10_122.MeonthedescentofBenVane.JPG.ce5109e984cd31fe550499670d7016c7.JPG

Me on the descent.

It's very straightforward to be honest - there's even a handy fence if the clouds are down and your navigation skills aren't up to it [emoji4]
Amy reason in particular why you're doing it, if you don't me asking ? A lot of folk seem to do Chonzie as one of their early munros as it's one of the "easiest" but I've never seen the appeal having been up there 3 times (twice with newbies).  Slight digression but when I get to choose a straightforward day for others in that part of the world, I usually suggest the Tarmachan as there is way more reward for a similar level of effort - and the possibility to do the ridge if the group is up to it.. 

My walking buddy that I'm going with is starting out, she's quite new to it so doesn't want anything too difficult. We done Ben Lomond recently and she found that relatively straightforward so hoping for the same with Chonzie.

Would have preferred Ben More myself but think that might be a stretch for her.

2 hours ago, Adam said:

My walking buddy that I'm going with is starting out, she's quite new to it so doesn't want anything too difficult. We done Ben Lomond recently and she found that relatively straightforward so hoping for the same with Chonzie.

Would have preferred Ben More myself but think that might be a stretch for her.

Have a look at Meall nan Tarmachan as I mentioned as I think it is great for beginners. It starts very high on the Killin -> Glen Lyon road, so not much ascent and there is a well built path all the way to the summit. There are great views on a good day and it feels like a mini-mountain range in itself. There is the option to head up the path to the Munro summit and back down the same way or it can be made a circular walk by heading along the ridge - which is straightforward but very slightly exposed in 1 place (someone that isn't great with heights might not enjoy). The ridge route is great but there is no need to do it. After that, there is only a v short drive to Killin for a celebratory pint :)

ETA - a photo of Tarmachan that I pulled off google images:

DSC_8770-600x341.jpg

Edited by Swello

6 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Found Ben Vane quite tough near the top. Do you need to clamber up the rocks or is there another way?

I had to clamber up rocks on the peak just before the summit (when the path heads left after a dip). Found myself at a ledge I had no hope of pulling myself onto, but then saw that the path was below me and had actually gone to my right. Still had to scramble, though.  At the summit I spoke to an older guy who told me to try and keep to the left on the paths heading down and I'd avoid the "bad step". Did this and was nowhere near my ascent route, so I guess the trick on the way up is to keep to the right hand paths.

On leaving the hydro road at the start, I took the path next to the smaller bridge beyond the metal bridge, yet there seemed to be folk using a path which started much further up the glen.