Hillwalking Thread

10 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Probably going to go up to Inverness for the last day of the season and decided that I'll just book into a hotel for a few days. 

Hillwalking wise what do you suggest?  Bare in mind I won't have a car so we are talking public transport here.

Prefer all Jupes recommendations but if train times don't work then Newtonmore and Dalwhinnie stations bring a while load of Munros into play.

I quite like the Monadhliath above newtonmore but some people think its a bit dull.

Prefer all Jupes recommendations but if train times don't work then Newtonmore and Dalwhinnie stations bring a while load of Munros into play.
I quite like the Monadhliath above newtonmore but some people think its a bit dull.

They'd be almost dry on the long walk bit between Carn Dearg and Carn Sgulain. ALMOST [emoji38]

Took a walk up Ben A'an yesterday. A wee short hill though it was steep in places. It only took 45 minutes and a cracking view from the top! 0152e82f05f73ce6642135d8871da5c6.jpg

I love walking Ben A'an as the views are stunning for such a short and reasonably easy climb.

29 minutes ago, microdave said:

Took a walk up Ben A'an yesterday. A wee short hill though it was steep in places. It only took 45 minutes and a cracking view from the top! 0152e82f05f73ce6642135d8871da5c6.jpg

Cracker. 

I still haven't walked up there, which for a hillwalker/amateur landscape photographer is fucking criminal. I might go up in autumn/winter.

I had a wee trip to Crianlarich on Sunday to finally climb Ben More & Stob Binnein. I've been putting off these for years, mainly due to the thought of a steep, relentless 1000+metre grind from virtually the roadside and a 300m re-ascent to Stob Binnein. As it happens I found both thoroughly enjoyable. The ascent of Ben More was actually fine, in fact I'd rather a steep as f**k climb than a boring gradual grassy plod, and the good path made the re-ascent of Stob Binnein pretty enjoyable, as it's also the nicer hill of the two. Pretty windy conditions, and quite a few showers blew through, but a cracking five hours nonetheless. 

34620943906_68013562a0_c.jpg

Looking for ideas (got a couple myself but waiting to see what P&B says). I'm planning to head up a munro or two in a couple of weeks time with some friends from work; a couple of us could climb anything, a couple haven't really done any sort of hill-walking but they're fit enough. 

Ideally I want something where there's maybe a couple of munros in the one walk, not too challenging but not dead easy either. Ideally within a couple of hours of Glasgow. And definitely something with a good view, weather permitting, to make it something the new people would want to do again in the future. 

Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, David W said:

Looking for ideas (got a couple myself but waiting to see what P&B says). I'm planning to head up a munro or two in a couple of weeks time with some friends from work; a couple of us could climb anything, a couple haven't really done any sort of hill-walking but they're fit enough. 

Ideally I want something where there's maybe a couple of munros in the one walk, not too challenging but not dead easy either. Ideally within a couple of hours of Glasgow. And definitely something with a good view, weather permitting, to make it something the new people would want to do again in the future. 

Any suggestions?

Ben More and Stob Binnein above Crianlarich. The ascent of BM from the road isn't as horrific as it's reputation suggests. The descent from the bealach is a bit cack in places but easy enough. The whole thing is around 1300m ascent and about 6.5 miles distance. Also, the Rod & Reel is close by for a bit of scran afterwards. 

I took a last minute Friday off last weekend with a decent forecast and got a fair bit of walking in. 

Friday: Beinn Dorain & Beinn an Dothaidh

34808630002_b7fb804518_c.jpg

34808617632_cc78621b93_c.jpg

Saturday: Up to Braemar for Carn a'Mhaim and Ben Macdui

34129820834_7771211233_c.jpg

34129816234_b6d015643e_c.jpg

Sunday: The remote pair of Carn an Fhidhleir and An Sgarsoch, 42Km from Linn of Dee. Bikes are a total godsend although the track is as rough as f**k in places. 

34808598132_bf4dcd35f9_c.jpg

34585036080_c63b238c7f_c.jpg

2 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

I took a last minute Friday off last weekend with a decent forecast and got a fair bit of walking in. 

Friday: Beinn Dorain & Beinn an Dothaidh

34808630002_b7fb804518_c.jpg

34808617632_cc78621b93_c.jpg

Saturday: Up to Braemar for Carn a'Mhaim and Ben Macdui

34129820834_7771211233_c.jpg

34129816234_b6d015643e_c.jpg

Sunday: The remote pair of Carn an Fhidhleir and An Sgarsoch, 42Km from Linn of Dee. Bikes are a total godsend although the track is as rough as f**k in places. 

34808598132_bf4dcd35f9_c.jpg

34585036080_c63b238c7f_c.jpg

You know how to take a photo, jupe, lovely shots. 8)

On 2015-7-31 at 07:06, AyrshireTon said:

Did Beinn Achaladair and Beinn a' Chreachain a couple of weeks ago. Didn't think much of the route, mainly due to the bridge leading over the river back to the road being gone. Great views at the tops. Think I actually found the lump of rock between the two cairns that is the true summit of Achaladair.

Yesterday I went back to the east and climbed Mount Keen. Incredible colours, particularly the heather.

On 2016-7-17 at 16:21, jupe1407 said:

It's worth doing via the Beinn Fhada ridge. I parked in the Buachaille Etive Beag car park and walked a short way up Lairig Eilde, took the right branch where the path forks and rather nervously forded the River Coupall (it had pished with rain for the 2-3 days previous), then worked my way up the slopes of Fhada. There's no path, it's just a case of picking the easiest lines up. We did a sort of rising traverse on the eastern slopes via a series of easy grassy rakes and simple scrambles. There's a path on the ridge itself which eventually gets to Stob Coire Sgreamhach (again with a minor scramble or two), then over to Bidean and back down through hidden valley through Bealach Dearg. The roadwalk at the end might be a bit annoying unless you get a mate along to take his car as well. Bidean is a fantastic mountain.

Anyway, this weekend's pish weather resulted in possibly my most miserable outing yet on Beinn a'Chreachain and Beinn Achaladair. Nice weather at the start had us thinking we might get one up on the MWIS forecast, however by the first top we had horizontal rain and strong winds, and the second, more horizontal rain and winds gusting at 60mph. Had to lie down on a couple of sections of Achaladair's south ridge as staying on our feet was near impossible. Just to round off a shit day, something inside my already shite knee pinged, making the descent absolute purgatory. The walk took ten fucking hours :lol:

We met a bunch of lads from England in our bunkhouse who drove up for 11 hours, and were going to tackle Nevis via the CMD today, mapless, with only a couple of GPS units between them. Bonkers.

I'm planning to do Achaladair and Chreachain at some point soon. Only question is regarding stream/river crossings at start. How challenging were they and how many? Internet is typically vague.