Hillwalking Thread

On 4/6/2017 at 21:35, AyrshireTon said:

Glas Maol and Creag Leatach.

I did those two together one June heading back from a few days in Braemar.  The day before I bagged five Munros on an 18 mile circuit taking in Lochnagar.

Went out on Saturday to Loch an Daimh for the two munros either side of it. A bit of a "can't be fucked" day that turned into a really enjoyable outing. I half considered doing the full circuit but once on top of Stuchd an Lochain, the thought of a 13 mile pathless trudge whilst trying to avoid peat hags just to add in two Corbetts was a bit shite. This effectively means returning to the car park and heading up the other side. So tempting to get in the car and go home :lol:

33105003944_cc289245d8_b.jpg

Glen Lyon from Stuchd an Lochain

33135303603_3e7888808d_b.jpg

Summit of Meall Buidhe

Shite forecast for this weekend, then the following weekend I've got a week near Inverness followed by a week in Torridon. A fortnight of biking and hills. Glorious (will probably have to converse with the bird at some point tbf).

I'm doing the South Glen Shiel Ridge in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone had done it before, and how long did it take?

Doing the full Ridge plus Sgùrr an sgine and the Saddle, 23 miles in total. Starting at the Cluanie and finishing on A87 down from the saddle. Hoping to hitch it, or catch a passing bus back to the car as I think we'll be about 8 miles from the start point.

Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean under the belt yesterday. Early morning train from Edinburgh, got to Crianlarich at 10:10, walked along the A82 and started from there. It's a relatively easy route to follow if you use common sense (and the various reports from walkhighlands etc). A lot of ups and downs but they key issue for me was that it was extremely boggy and I definitely need to get new boots, there's nothing waterproof about mines anymore I just didn't realise it as I did 2 or 3 last year but in glorious sunshine everytime.

When we got to the final ascent of Cruach Ardrain the snow started battering down which made it quite tough going especially for the couple of guys that don't really do climbing that much. Visibility was shocking so it actually took us a while to find the cairns at the top. A quick soup and sandwich and boosted across to Tulaichean which took about 40 minutes. Getting back down we decided to go back up Cruach Ardrain and back the way we came; we couldn't see an obvious path down the ridge that some folk suggest and since the weather was so windy/sleet by this point with visibility poor it was the only (albeit tiring and depressing) option. Back to the Rod and Reel for a quick pint before getting the 1932 back home. Knees are a bit achey today!

Anyone got any tips for the best hiking boots about? Particularly for their waterproof features. Had a quick scan this morning and these seem reasonably well thought of:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/quest-mens-waterproof-walking-boots-grey-black-id_8358091.html

Any help appreciated!

On 11/04/2017 at 23:15, MONKMAN said:

I'm doing the South Glen Shiel Ridge in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone had done it before, and how long did it take?

Doing the full Ridge plus Sgùrr an sgine and the Saddle, 23 miles in total. Starting at the Cluanie and finishing on A87 down from the saddle. Hoping to hitch it, or catch a passing bus back to the car as I think we'll be about 8 miles from the start point.

I did the 7 on the SSR in June 2013, although as part of a group so it's quite hard to gauge what time I'd have been on my own. I reckon 7-8 hours for the ridge. If you use WalkHiglhands have look for a report by a guy called Rockhopper. He did pretty much the exact same as you're planning and cycled back up the Glen. 

6 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean under the belt yesterday. Early morning train from Edinburgh, got to Crianlarich at 10:10, walked along the A82 and started from there. It's a relatively easy route to follow if you use common sense (and the various reports from walkhighlands etc). A lot of ups and downs but they key issue for me was that it was extremely boggy and I definitely need to get new boots, there's nothing waterproof about mines anymore I just didn't realise it as I did 2 or 3 last year but in glorious sunshine everytime.

When we got to the final ascent of Cruach Ardrain the snow started battering down which made it quite tough going especially for the couple of guys that don't really do climbing that much. Visibility was shocking so it actually took us a while to find the cairns at the top. A quick soup and sandwich and boosted across to Tulaichean which took about 40 minutes. Getting back down we decided to go back up Cruach Ardrain and back the way we came; we couldn't see an obvious path down the ridge that some folk suggest and since the weather was so windy/sleet by this point with visibility poor it was the only (albeit tiring and depressing) option. Back to the Rod and Reel for a quick pint before getting the 1932 back home. Knees are a bit achey today!

Anyone got any tips for the best hiking boots about? Particularly for their waterproof features. Had a quick scan this morning and these seem reasonably well thought of:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/quest-mens-waterproof-walking-boots-grey-black-id_8358091.html

Any help appreciated!

Decathlon is fucking brilliant. If they ever open one in Dundee I'll be bankrupt in a month. I bought a pair of Quechua Forclaz 700 Boots from them a year ago - still waterproof and extremely comfortable and only £69.99. Salomon's are also massively comfortable but I believe they've had frequent issues with the waterproof membrane splitting and effectively leaving you with an expensive pair of trail shoes. If budget isn't an issue, Meindl's range of boots are tremendous. 

10 minutes ago, Count Mongo del Fantastico said:

Loch Earn version of Ben Vorlich today. Absolutely freezing. Strong wind and horizontal snow/hail at times. Still a cracking day out.

How far down was the snowfall?

38 minutes ago, Count Mongo del Fantastico said:

Was about 700m and up. There's barely any actual snow coverage on the hill itself with remnants hanging on in nooks and crannies but that's about it. The snow and hail today was largely as a result of the freezing wind.

Excellent, cheers.

Up in Torridon the first week of May so would prefer to have no awkward snow patches on Liathach's pinnacles :lol:

On 4/11/2017 at 23:15, MONKMAN said:

Done the 7 twice, 9 hours on my own and 11 hours as part of a group, i dont hurry along though. Without wishing to sound patronising ( f**k it I love being patronising) if you cant work out your own timings and need to get advice there is no way you should even consider the full south ridge. If you aren't experienced you will be utterly fucked well before the end .

second bit of advice is whatever you do trying to hitch/ get bus at end of day is daft, get bus at start of day and then walk back with no time pressure. i talk from painful experience of doing the 7, missing bus back and having to walk the full 7 miles back to car over almost three hours and seeing bar lights go off as we got within about 200 yards of the Cluanie.

On 15/04/2017 at 17:10, jupe1407 said:

Salomon's are also massively comfortable but I believe they've had frequent issues with the waterproof membrane splitting and effectively leaving you with an expensive pair of trail shoes.

I'm a big fan of Salomon footwear.  My Salomon boots are 12 years old and still going strong.  Not saying they smell good mind...

Done the 2 buchaille etive mor munro's yesterday, my favourite yet.

Ben Challum last week, fairly straight forward, nice ridge near the top.

Beinn chabhair the week before to finish off the 7 at crainlarich.

I haven't really ventured too far north (nevis being my furthest) but looking to go a bit further up on my next outing, any recommendations?

10 hours ago, Mon The Port said:

Done the 2 buchaille etive mor munro's yesterday, my favourite yet.

Ben Challum last week, fairly straight forward, nice ridge near the top.

Beinn chabhair the week before to finish off the 7 at crainlarich.

I haven't really ventured too far north (nevis being my furthest) but looking to go a bit further up on my next outing, any recommendations?

IMO north of the great glen the best bang for your buck (accessible/short/non technical/stunning views) have to be any of the Munros at Loch Quoich.

Went a wander up hidden valley with the idea of doing stob coire sgreamhach as we missed it the other week, got up in to the snow line and it was pretty dodgy under foot, very slushy and loose, going up would have been ok but didn't fancy coming back down same way, I'ts going to be there for a bit so we can save it for a camp out in better conditions. Still a great walk in great weather so wasn't overly bothered.

• 3 weeks later...

Did the Lawers 7 yesterday in the glorious sunshine. Set off around 8am from the Ben Lawers Hotel finishing at the Lochan na Lairige reservoir after a 17 mile hike about 3pm. By that point, all my water had gone and the legs were starting to cramp. Luckily managed to hitch it the 8 or so miles back to the car, from a couple of pensioners up holidaying from Hampshire. Some day for it though.

IMG_1494144604.668358.jpg

IMG_1494144656.347192.jpg
IMG_1494144671.497731.jpg

Got back from an epic two weeks up north. First week was a bit of a chill out type affairs after the Loch Ness Etape. I tried and failed on the Strathfarrar Four, getting to 700+m on the first one before deciding that it would be ridiculous to continue in those conditions. Managed Wyvis on the Friday of that week then headed up to Torridon to the Grampian Club Cottage for a brilliant week of weather. Started with Beinn Damh which was fantastic then repeated Beinn Alligin, Beinn Eighe's two munros, Beinn Liath Mor, Sgorr Ruadh, Liathach's two and finished on Moruisg and demoted Sgurr nan Ceannaichean, all in glorious sunshine. 

34465374376_f0863e11ca_z.jpg

33664347094_43f1c9bd13_z.jpg

34121117780_1175304795_z.jpg

34465357126_e5412868c9_z.jpg

34121090390_bd1781790e_z.jpg

34376092201_b175646c61_z.jpg

Edited by jupe1407

Probably going to go up to Inverness for the last day of the season and decided that I'll just book into a hotel for a few days. 

Hillwalking wise what do you suggest?  Bare in mind I won't have a car so we are talking public transport here.

6 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Probably going to go up to Inverness for the last day of the season and decided that I'll just book into a hotel for a few days. 

Hillwalking wise what do you suggest?  Bare in mind I won't have a car so we are talking public transport here.

There is a Citylink service from Inverness to Ullapool and return which brings the Fannichs into play. You could either do the four eastern ones or pick off two of them. Although the start point for those is between two bus stops and may involve walking a couple of miles just to get to that, unless the driver lets you off at Torrandhu Bridge. On that route also is Wyvis which is accessed from Garbat. It's easy enough but not that interesting. There's also Beinn Enaglair, a Corbett with fine views which is pretty close to the bus stop at Braemore Junction. I think there's a Graham right next to it as well. 

By rail you've got access to Fionn Bheinn from Achnasheen (you start from pretty much the station itself). It's shite though until you get to the summit which has glorious views into Slioch, Fisherfield etc. The line also runs to Achnshellach from where there are several good hillwalks available, Beinn Liath Mhor, Sgorr Ruadh, Fuar Tholl are all tremendous hills and can be done as a massive single outing or individually. A little further up the opposite side of the road are five munros and a couple of decent corbetts. A lot depends on the train times obviously.