Hillwalking Thread

Well, that's Schiehallion done now. :D

Pretty good new path (built by the John Muir Trust) for the first half or so, then a boulder field the rest of the way, which is not my favourite terrain.

Rather small cairn at the top, which someone had put a tartan tie on.

Whilst heading out in the car via Crianlarich I had to marvel at Ben More - it looks fecking HUGE (and knackering), and I think it is daring me to climb it one day..... ;)

Whilst heading out in the car via Crianlarich I had to marvel at Ben More - it looks fecking HUGE (and knackering), and I think it is daring me to climb it one day..... ;)

It can be done - up and down - from the Ben More farm in 2 hours. ;)

I did Ben More and Stob Binnean about 11 years ago.Then I had lots more energy and I did the two outlying tops as well.

It was a lovely October day with great views down Loch Tay and The Ben Lawers range.

I walked out to the start from the YH in Crianlarich then trudged all the way back.A long day but enjoyable.I remember wanting to go up Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean the next day but it was pouring down when I got up so I got back on the train and went home.

Pick a clear day to do it and you will be rewarded with some great views.

Pick a clear day to do it and you will be rewarded with some great views.

Will do - I am determined to do this pair, and Cruach Ardrain/Beinn Tulaichean are on the agenda too. :)

I am more likely to do this one alone, as the folk who occasionally accompany me are choosy (one turned down Schiehallion because on the map it looked "like a big lot of nothing", another doesn't like steep climbs).

Will do - I am determined to do this pair, and Cruach Ardrain/Beinn Tulaichean are on the agenda too. :)

I am more likely to do this one alone, as the folk who occasionally accompany me are choosy (one turned down Schiehallion because on the map it looked "like a big lot of nothing", another doesn't like steep climbs).

If you do Beinn Tulaichean and Cruach Ardrain, it's better to avoid the route from the A82 side, as apparently it's really boggy and not much fun. I did them with my dad a couple of years ago, starting at Inverlochlarig at the end of the single track road past Balquidder and Loch Voil. It was quite decent from there, but someone we were talking to at the top who had come up from the A82 side said it was really bad from that side and best avoided. We also did Beinn a' Choin and An Castael from Inverlochlarig last year, and although it's a bit of a trek, it was quite a good one as well.

You can climb Stob Binnean and Ben More from the same start point, but the only problem with that is that you have to climb Stob Binnean, go down to the bealach and climb Ben More, then just reverse that on the way back, meaning another climb up Stob Binnean from the bealach. We did it a few years ago, and were going to do just that, but after climbing Stob Binnean and going down to the bealach it started really pissing down and so we just headed back without climbing Ben More. Whatever way you do them, it's a bit of a slog up a really steep bit at the start. Apparently the best start point to do them both without having to climb the first one twice is at Benmore farm on the A82.

Looks like me and faither will be able to climb something at the weekend this week - haven't decided what yet. Thinking of maybe haveing a bash at Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin fromGlen Artney. We've done it from Loch Earn before. Other possibilities are Ben Lui or something at Glen Coe, which are just about reachable in a day.

We were out up one of the Corbetts next to Ben Chonzie past Crieff last week, but can't remember the name of it. Not a bad wee treck, with a few mountain hare up the hill. If you ever want to see thousands of mountain hare, have a trip up BenChonzie its self, absolutely loads of them up there.

Not the day I went up Ben Chonzie!.It was a day in February many years ago.I had been up Beinn Mhanach the previous day and it was cold and snowy.By the next day when I went up Ben Chonzie the day had turned to torrential rain and driving winds.I was by myself and didnt fancy it but as I was their I thought I would give it a go.A fairly easy walk in,but by the time I got to the summit plateau/ridge the weather had to be some of the worst I have ever experienced out on the hill.I quickly found the fence line which leads directly to the summit.I decided I would leave a large rock on one of the posts where I would have to take a bearing to find the exit point for the descent.I did this then set off into the teeth of a howling gale.

To be honest I was not happy,no one else was about and being out on a day like that was madness.In what seemd an age I found the cairn and turned around and walked off.I dreaded the thought that my marker stone had been blown off,but thankfully it was still in place.I took a bearing off but despite pacing could not find the exit track so I had to to return to the fence and try again and luckily found it second time of trying.

I recall seeing nothing more than a solitary grouse that day!.

Its funny but even though I have been up countless hills I can recall every trip.

If you do Beinn Tulaichean and Cruach Ardrain, it's better to avoid the route from the A82 side, as apparently it's really boggy and not much fun. I did them with my dad a couple of years ago, starting at Inverlochlarig at the end of the single track road past Balquidder and Loch Voil. It was quite decent from there, but someone we were talking to at the top who had come up from the A82 side said it was really bad from that side and best avoided. We also did Beinn a' Choin and An Caistael from Inverlochlarig last year, and although it's a bit of a trek, it was quite a good one as well.

I am considering the Aradrain/Tulaichean climb from the A82, but not from Crianlarich, which is very boggy. I was (when I do them) going to start from the same place as I started An Caisteal from. Have to say, I did not enjoy the Caisteal/a' Chroin pair, mainly because it was pissing down, freezing and very windy above 400m.

We were out up one of the Corbetts next to Ben Chonzie past Crieff last week, but can't remember the name of it. Not a bad wee treck, with a few mountain hare up the hill. If you ever want to see thousands of mountain hare, have a trip up BenChonzie its self, absolutely loads of them up there.

Auchnafree Hill?

I am saving Chonzie for a fussy friend (well, my wife's friend), who likes the look of it because you have scenery (i.e. a reservoir). I am hoping to persuade her to do Auchnafree too, on th eway back down to the dam car park. B)

Not the day I went up Ben Chonzie!.It was a day in February many years ago.I had been up Beinn Mhanach the previous day and it was cold and snowy.By the next day when I went up Ben Chonzie the day had turned to torrential rain and driving winds.I was by myself and didnt fancy it but as I was their I thought I would give it a go.A fairly easy walk in,but by the time I got to the summit plateau/ridge the weather had to be some of the worst I have ever experienced out on the hill.I quickly found the fence line which leads directly to the summit.I decided I would leave a large rock on one of the posts where I would have to take a bearing to find the exit point for the descent.I did this then set off into the teeth of a howling gale.

To be honest I was not happy,no one else was about and being out on a day like that was madness.In what seemd an age I found the cairn and turned around and walked off.I dreaded the thought that my marker stone had been blown off,but thankfully it was still in place.I took a bearing off but despite pacing could not find the exit track so I had to to return to the fence and try again and luckily found it second time of trying.

I recall seeing nothing more than a solitary grouse that day!.

Its funny but even though I have been up countless hills I can recall every trip.

Aye, I'm the same in remembering something about pretty much every walking trip I've ever been on. If the weather's as bad as that though, I wouldn't usually bother with it. Fair doos if folk want to do it, but when it's like that I just find it pretty miserable and there's little enjoyment in it for me.

Auchnafree Hill?

I am saving Chonzie for a fussy friend (well, my wife's friend), who likes the look of it because you have scenery (i.e. a reservoir). I am hoping to persuade her to do Auchnafree too, on th eway back down to the dam car park. B)

Na, it was round the other side, climbed from Glen Lednock above Comrie. Ben U.... I think. Interesting that that person is so keen on Ben Chonzie - it's generally thought of as one of the least appealing of the Munros, although I thought it was quite an interesting one myself. The only hills I've ever climbed that I really didn't enjoy were two on the East side of the Drumochter pass that was a slog over moorland through low cloud, and the group of 3 including the Cairnwell and Carn Aosda in Glen Shee. The summi of the Cairnwell is the most horrible you'll see anywhere.

Did you do Stob Binnien too?

If so, which way did you return?

No, although I have done both on a previous climb. From Benmore Farm it was straight up and down, a bit boring but it got the heart pumping.

If you are looking for a more interesting climb, rather than trying to do it as quickly as possible, I would start at the Balquidder side and do Stob Binnean first. It really is a lovely climb, albeit a bit of a slog (as Socks mentioned) to have to do Stob Binnean a second time. I did it in October and there were a few completely frozen lochans near the top of Stob Binnean.

Was supposed to be doing Ben Lomond on Saturday but I have to work. Seeing as the season starts soon, I am looking to do it sometime during either next week, or the week after that.

It is going to cost much more if I have to take a day off. I'd rather do it on Saturday :(

Me and a mate did Ben Venue today, just next to callendar. 729 metres I believe. Cracking views at the top all the way West to Ben Lomond and further, and North down to Loch Katrine. The weather was lovely so the views were absolutely stunning.

Was meant to be going out on Saturday to do a peak just past Ben Nevis, but the way my shifts at work were, meant I couldn't. They have some cracking photos though.

Doing a low level walk with my walking group in a fortnight near Pitlochry. The week after that, we are going down to the Lake Dristict, I can't wait.

Anyone watch "Mountain" on BBC1 earlier?

That was good.

I enjoyed it - was funny to hear about the two guys who walked together for years but barely exchanged a word (and now have peaks on Skye named after them).

Guest AnnieslandTon

was up north a week or so ago, did Beinn Alligin (Sgurr Mhor and Tom na Gruagaich), I'm no climber but there's a really enjoyable bit of scrambling to do on the Horns of Alligin on the way up. If you've not been up to Torridon I'd highly recommend it, scenery is fantastic and you can see Skye, Lewis etc etc.

Did Bruach na Frithe in the Black Cullins a couple of days later, I found that reasonably hard going and that's supposed to be one of the easier Munros on Skye!

I've been going hillwalking for a few years now (although not as often as I'd like), I really can't decide what my favourite one has been so far. Apart from one hill just past Glencoe (whose name I can't remember), I've been really lucky with the weather.

I'd also recommend checking out this site if you don't know it already click

What I liked about the programme 'Mountain' was that it simply wasnt about climbing a hill then walking off.It had enough in it to interest non hill walking people as well such as the geology,people who live in the area the hills are in etc.

I thought it quite funny when he was in the primary school and tried to pronounce the names of the hills on Skye.

The Inn Pin looked scary,glad I have got it done and out of the way!

I was pleased to see he went off the beaten track a bit and did Suilven.I did it a long time ago.We set off up Glen Canisp around 5am in thick low cloud.It looked like it was going to be an awful day,but as we got to the col on the mountain the cloud magically dissapeared and we had the most glorious view imaginable.It is the only time I have ever experienced such total cloud inversion as far as the eye could see.Poking out of the cloud was Quinag,Canisp,Cul Mor/Beag,Stac Polly and even as far away as Conival.

It truly was a spectacular sight.If you have never done it and are in the Assynt area then do it as it is a superb mountain.As we descended we met lots going up who by then had missed it.We felt lucky to have got up early

Looking forward to next weeks episode.

Edited by silver

• 2 weeks later...

Well, today I did Ben More and Stob Binnein. I started from Benmore farm on the A85 and slogged uphill until I found a path which I must have missed further down. It was STEEP, but a great feeling at the top. Ate and headed down to the Bealach and continued onto Stob Binnein, which had no cloud and fabulous views.

A brilliant day out. :)

Both ascent route shown below - Ben More on the left.

post-448-1186603525_thumb.jpg

post-448-1186603539_thumb.jpg

Edited by AyrshireTon

Well, today I did Ben More and Stob Binnein. I started from Benmore farm on the A85 and slogged uphill until I found a path which I must have missed further down. It was STEEP, but a great feeling at the top. Ate and headed down to the Bealach and continued onto Stob Binnein, which had no cloud and fabulous views.

A brilliant day out. :)

Both ascent route shown below - Ben More on the left.

Pretty sure there's no proper path up ben more - was exactly the same when we did it! It was absolutely pissing it down when we climbed it though, so we didnt to stob binnein. Climbed ben vane myself on sunday.