Hillwalking Thread

when i did ben lawers i'm sure there was a car park quite high up, although i think it was on the other side from the hotel. not of much help but it's a start.

p.s. i was suffering from terminal summit fever at the time so things are a little hazy.

Aye, the one by the nature trail thingy is on the West side.

There's a small carpark at the Lawers hotel, but make sure you get there really early.

Did Ben Vane at the weekend. How many false summits does a hill need? laugh.gif

6hrs up and down, not bad considering my girlfriend's 7 year old wee sis was with us. The scrambling was a bit interesting near the top due to flurries of sleet.

Scenery was a bit drab due to dreich weather, so I went for the artistic shot on the way back.

is that a munro? if it is i might make the relatively short trip sometime soon. i haven't climbed anything this year.

Did our first walk of the year today, up Stuc a' Chroin from Callendar. Those who remember my rant about the non-existent bridge from the last time will be pleased to know that the river was much lower and easily fordable both on ascent and descent.

Took one of our mates to do his first ever Munro. Visibility was poor but at least it wasn't pishing down with rain. A good day had by all :)

Myself and three others went up Ben Chabhair today and the weather was pretty miserable. The path was alright and we made it up the initial steep bit up by the Glas Burn to the valley at the top. One of our party though decided he couldn't go on any further and insited he was fine to wait where he was while the rest of us went on ahead. We walked along the path for another 45 mins and reckon we covered about 1 and a half miles from the top of the initial ridge. Decided that, given the summit was still around 2.5 miles and 600 odd meters off we couldn't leave our pal for the length of time it'd take to do it and headed back to where he was.

On the way back down I tried to get all of us in a group shop with the timer function on the camera. I set it up on a rock then ran over to where everyone was only to slip at the last moment and end up on my side at their feet. Two of the three still managed to pose for when the camera went off (c***s) and after I stayed still (I was laughing) I heard one remark "Oh God... has she cracked her head on that rock?". :o

post-67-12722327434909_thumb.jpg

I thought it seemed a good walk though, better if it was drier but am desperate to go back up it.

Edited by Ceratogyrus

• 3 weeks later...

I woke up really early yesterday (by my standards) so decided to do Ben Ledi and Ben Venue. It was a decent day, but I did get a bit bored after a while.

I'm staying in Tyndrum next Wednesday night and going walking on the Wed and Thur. Got Bidean nam Bian penciled in for Wed, but looking for suggestions as to what to climb on Thurs.

Looking for suggestions for Thurs (not prepeared to go to Glencoe again) so something to the south of Tyndrum would be ideal

I woke up really early yesterday (by my standards) so decided to do Ben Ledi and Ben Venue. It was a decent day, but I did get a bit bored after a while.

I'm staying in Tyndrum next Wednesday night and going walking on the Wed and Thur. Got Bidean nam Bian penciled in for Wed, but looking for suggestions as to what to climb on Thurs.

Looking for suggestions for Thurs (not prepeared to go to Glencoe again) so something to the south of Tyndrum would be ideal

Ben Lui / Ben Oss?

Ben Lui, Ben Oss, Ben Dubhcraig. Theres a car park and you walk up along the cononish river. It's a long walk in to Ben Lui but it's a fantastic looking mountain from that approach.

I walked Ben Oss and Ben Dubhcraig the other week and found it great as well. You get to walk through the remnants of the caledonian forest as well. Its beautiful. Well worth it. Interesting enough not to feel like a total slog.

I just had a look at a man and my Munro list and I've done every one in the area with the exception of Beinn Mhanach. It doesn't look particularly inspiring, just a long walk in on the flat, a short, steep ascent/descent and a long walk back to the car but it will have to do this time. I've got a game of football that night so maybe it's just as well I'm not attempting a beast that day!

Truth be told I'm only going up there for a Green Welly Stop pizza.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a friend that wants to go up Ben More and Stob Binnian next Saturday, can't say I fancy it though.

I'm thinking of going for Ben Bhuidhe soon though as that's the last munro in the trossachs for me. Figure it'll be best done in midsummer given the walk in is rather long. :unsure:

Managed to get two new poles for a tenner in sports direct in Falkirk. Been on the lookout for new ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to getting out on the hill again after 2 aborted attempts due to rain, first on Suilven, then Sgurr Mor. :(

Mates climbing club has booked the Ling Hut in Torridon last weekend in June, so hopefully get up Liathach or Beinn Alligan, done both before, but fine hills well worth climbing again.

• 2 weeks later...

Did the four Glen Lyon Munros today (the Carn Mairg group) from Invervar.

Seven and a half hours circuit, but well worth it. Totally knackered now, but that's 4 ticked off in one day - fair chuffed with that.

• 3 weeks later...

Went up to Perthshire and did Beinn a' Ghlo (Carn Liath, Carn Nan Gabhar and Braigh Coire Chruinn-Bhalgain) today.

I didn't believe the estimate time of 7 hrs because it didn't look very far on the map so decided to choose these hills make my hillwalking return from my gammy knee. In reality, it was a fairly boring slog in sometimes atrocious weather. Took about 6 hrs 15 mins and my knee just about held up.

Spent yesterday evening hemming and hawing over where to go today.

Plumped for Meall na Fearna, a Corbett lying close to Ben Vorlich at Loch Earn. Quite a few folk at the roadside when I set off - all heading up the Munros (this is a common occurrence - no-one seems to value a Corbett much).

As it stands I'm now at 40 Munros, 29 Corbetts and er, 3 Grahams. :ph34r:

Better still - I have only two Region 1 Corbetts to do :D - Beinn Bheula and Creagan na Beinne (the latter previously attempted, but an injured & tired companion forced us off).

The roadworks leading from Glasgow to Stirling are a pain in the arse, so I'm glad I didn't opt to go to Blair Atholl. This was also the morning that the M77 was at a standstill at Silverburn, meaning my plan to avoid the Kingston Bridge queues were in vain. <_<

Never noticed this thread before - it puts me on a downer actually as I haven't been on a decent walk in over a year due to having two young sprogs limiting the time at present....I'm stuck on 250 Munros and miss the whole thing (apart from lots of trips on the A9). Last walk I did was the 4 munros round the Grey Corries after a night in the Leacach Bothy - seems like ages ago.....

Must take some midweek holidays :)

Ben Lui, Ben Oss, Ben Dubhcraig. Theres a car park and you walk up along the cononish river. It's a long walk in to Ben Lui but it's a fantastic looking mountain from that approach.

Just done that very walk today except I biked in to the foot of Ben Lui, did that then the usual route over to Beinn a Chleibh. As the visibility was fantastic I decided to push on to Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhcraig before heading back to Ben Lui to get my bike. About 16km on foot and 12km on the bike in 7.5 hours.

If anyone is interested in hillwalking I heartily recommend Ben Lui - fantastic hill and if you can bike in then the hill itself shouldn't take more than a couple of hours..