Hillwalking Thread

I've decided to go hillwalking tomorrow. The first Munro someone names (within reason) is where I will head.

Ben Chonzie - next to Crieff (so not too far away from you) and it's probably the easiest to start off with. can take in the Famous Grouse Experience on the way too. ;)

Ben Chonzie - next to Crieff (so not too far away from you) and it's probably the easiest to start off with. can take in the Famous Grouse Experience on the way too. ;)

If I was forced to climb Ben Chonzie again I'd die of boredom. :(

I'm a relatively experienced walker so difficultly isn't really an issue.

If I was forced to climb Ben Chonzie again I'd die of boredom. :(

I'm a relatively experienced walker so difficultly isn't really an issue.

The real Ben More by Crianlarich then. Make you work for it.

PS. Going to be cloudy in most places on Sunday so view will no doubt be crap wherever you go anyway.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Are trying to make me want to kill myself? You've picked the two most boring mountains in the entire world!

Might have something to do with ' The first Munro someone names (within reason) is where I will head'. ;)

Might have something to do with ' The first Munro someone names (within reason) is where I will head'. ;)

The first Munro that someone names that isn't boring as hell and I haven't done before. Is that better? :D

I'm not really one for views. It's obviously a bonus if it's a nice day but I just like the time alone and the feeling of your legs burning after 8 hours.

It's obviously a bonus if it's a nice day but I just like the time alone and the feeling of your legs burning after 8 hours.

So Ben More in the clouds it is. Either that or a Ben Lomond with plenty of whinging kids getting dragged up by dad.

On that, I once heard a dad shouting to his kid up Lochnagar "it's the best waterfall in Scotland, SAY IT!!!"

So Ben More in the clouds it is. Either that or a Ben Lomond with plenty of whinging kids getting dragged up by dad.

On that, I once heard a dad shouting to his kid up Lochnagar "it's the best waterfall in Scotland, SAY IT!!!"

:lol:

Ben Lomond via the Ptarmigan Ridge route is actually a really good walk and even on a weekend when there are thousands on the tourist route, you get the other side of the hill to yourself.

• 1 month later...

Been the best winter I`ve ever had in the hills. From before Xmas until last week, conditions have been superb. I`ve had many days that will last long in the memory. The best would be in the Mamores back in early-mid February. A full day out in the Mamores under cloudless skies & no wind, started at first light & descended the final summit as the sun was going down over Loch Linnhie & the Mull hills, fantastic. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone want to suggest a good walk not far from ther central belt? I've been up the following

The two Ben Vorlichs

Stuc a Chroin

Ben Narnain

Ben Ime

The Cobbler

Ben Ledi

Ben Lomond

Ben Chroinze (wron spelling)

Cruach Ardrain & the one next to it I forget the name of

Ben Nevis

Ben Vane

Half thinking of Benvane in Callander, it looks like a nice long relatively easy walk from what I remember but open to sugestions. Don't give me anything too hard though as it's been a while since I've been out. :P

As I said in the RTBC thread, me and my friends will undoubtedly be looking to start hillwalking after today so any recommendations of good walks would be appreciated. Can see it being a little like running outdoors, onces you start you get a real buzz from it and just keep going on.

Anyone want to suggest a good walk not far from ther central belt? I've been up the following

The two Ben Vorlichs

Stuc a Chroin

Ben Narnain

Ben Ime

The Cobbler

Ben Ledi

Ben Lomond

Ben Chroinze (wron spelling)

Cruach Ardrain & the one next to it I forget the name of

Ben Nevis

Ben Vane

Half thinking of Benvane in Callander, it looks like a nice long relatively easy walk from what I remember but open to sugestions. Don't give me anything too hard though as it's been a while since I've been out. :P

Beinn Chabhair.

It's not too strenous, but the ground is fairly boggy, though you can cut up Ben Glas to avoid this. However, for reasons unknown, it took me far longer than munromagic suggests.

Edited by Fudge

As I said in the RTBC thread, me and my friends will undoubtedly be looking to start hillwalking after today so any recommendations of good walks would be appreciated. Can see it being a little like running outdoors, onces you start you get a real buzz from it and just keep going on.

Any of the one on my list are OK aside from the Cobbler. Ben Vorlich over Loch Earn, Ben Lomond and Ben Chonzie.

Well, the snowline is receding and today's rainfall should help it along a bit.

Time to get out again.

This Wednesday I'll be out (depending on where the decent weather is) with a work colleauge who needs to rack up days in a log book. Most likely a Corbett for now.

If Galloway is clear enough it'll be Cairnsmore of Carsphairn.

If not, and further north is looking better, maybe Beinn Chuirn up near Ben Lui.

Benvane is an easy one - follow the path, over a gate then leave the path and follow the fence line in the general direction of "up". Once over the first steep bit, follow another fence, pretty much to the summit.

We did this one a couple of years ago and had great fun getting away from Ballimore farm, sitting waiting behind and animal feed truck which was being pulled out of a ditch by a tow-truck.

Well, the snowline is receding and today's rainfall should help it along a bit.

Time to get out again.

This Wednesday I'll be out (depending on where the decent weather is) with a work colleauge who needs to rack up days in a log book. Most likely a Corbett for now.

If Galloway is clear enough it'll be Cairnsmore of Carsphairn.

If not, and further north is looking better, maybe Beinn Chuirn up near Ben Lui.

Is that a decent walk? It's one that is pretty close to Ayr and it's one we have consistently managed to miss out walking. Havent been out all winter but we will do an overnighter in the lost valley Glencoe to start the year off. It will be a good laugh if nothing else.