Hillwalking Thread

£300 per week for a holiday cottage is about as far as our budget can stretch. I'm filling in the forms for free school meals for the bairn as I write :P:lol:

Arran is a smashing place. Some lovely golf courses as well as Goat Fell.

Auchrannie? Overpriced! :P

Yeah but its got its own swimming pool. So did the one down at Blackwaterfoot. I cant remember the name of it now. Probably the Blackwaterfoot Hotel.

Auchrannie is nice enough. The food is good if thats what you are into and the facilities are good enough for a family. Pricey at times.

If you use 2 poles all the way I reckon it cuts a good 30 mins off a regulation 5 hour walk. They make things SO much easier that when you start usuing them you'll curse yourself for not doing it earlier and probably laugh about what and idiot you've been!

The best place to get them is Leki's in Falkirk. I got 2 telescopic poles with shock absorbers for £20, when they are ususally £30 each.

When you walk up the valley and then cut up right for An Caisteal and Beinn a' Chroin it is a bit of a slog up a grass slope (was fairly boggy as wel when I did it). Got to be honest and say it wasn't the most enjoyable walk I've ever done.

You are mixing up Leki (the pole manufacturer) with Leckie (the shop in Falkirk).

Black Diamond poles are the best, in my opinion.

Did Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin today.

Didn't feel too great due to still having a 'chest cold' so a coughing fit turned nasty and I ended up spewing my load at the col between the two. Didn't feel up for it from the outset but just battered on as I wanted to be home for the Everton game (thought it was a 5pm KO) and it took bang on 5 hours.

I went up Stuc a Chroin from Callander but fecked my right leg on the way up. As a result it took me longer to get down than it did to reach the summit. :angry:

Did get cracking views from that direction though and seen loads of deer, a hare and some ravens. A frog gave me the fright of my life when it jumped out from between my legs when I sat down for a water break. :o Got my feet rather wet in the river as well. :ph34r:

The path was really boggy in places but it was great being able to see both Stuc and Vorlich relatively close up.

What time were you at the summit of Stuc Fudge? I was there from about 12.15-12.45. Didnt get back to the car until 5pm.

I went up Stuc a Chroin from Callander but fecked my right leg on the way up. As a result it took me longer to get down than it did to reach the summit. :angry:

Did get cracking views from that direction though and seen loads of deer, a hare and some ravens. A frog gave me the fright of my life when it jumped out from between my legs when I sat down for a water break. :o Got my feet rather wet in the river as well. :ph34r:

The path was really boggy in places but it was great being able to see both Stuc and Vorlich relatively close up.

What time were you at the summit of Stuc Fudge? I was there from about 12.15-12.45. Didnt get back to the car until 5pm.

I left the car at 10.15am I remember it being exactly 2 hours to the top of Ben Vorlich, so it would have probably been another hour after that, so probably about 1.15ish.

I saw the deer down in the valley to the south of the two hills as well. Was I going mad or was there a hell of a lot of 'mooing' noises coming from that direction as well!!!???

I left the car at 10.15am I remember it being exactly 2 hours to the top of Ben Vorlich, so it would have probably been another hour after that, so probably about 1.15ish.

I saw the deer down in the valley to the south of the two hills as well. Was I going mad or was there a hell of a lot of 'mooing' noises coming from that direction as well!!!???

Yeah it was the stags, they were in rutt and I heard them all the way up as well.

Every time I drive through Callander and see the profile of Ben Ledi I wonder how it was so difficult. That was right at the start of my hillwalking career when I was woefully unfit but it is by far and away the walk that has caused me most hassle!

Every time I drive through Callander and see the profile of Ben Ledi I wonder how it was so difficult. That was right at the start of my hillwalking career when I was woefully unfit but it is by far and away the walk that has caused me most hassle!

Ben Ledi was my first as well and I remember thinking it was horrible, did it again a year or two later and it didn't seem as bad.

Ben Vane will always be the one I hate the most though.

Ben Ledi was my first as well and I remember thinking it was horrible, did it again a year or two later and it didn't seem as bad.

Ben Vane will always be the one I hate the most though.

Interesting - Ben Vane was my first Munro (and thankfully, still is) and I hated much of it, owing to being unfit and wearing crap gear.

A year later, a bit fitter and I did Ben Ledi in atrocious weather, thinking nothing of it and enjoying the climb.

I fully intend to go back to Ben Vane and enjoy it next time.

I'm looking to pick out approx 10 classic ridge walks in Scotland to do on a wee jaunt next summer.

So far I've got

Beinn Alligin (Torridon)

Liathach (Torridon)

An Teallach (Torridon)

Beinn Eighe (Torridon)

Cullins Ridge (Skye)

Aonach Eagach Ridge (Glencoe)

5 sisters of Kintail

The South Glen Shiel Ridge

Can anyone suggest any more?

If you're heading to Glen Shiel as it looks like you will be, a great ridge walk is The Saddle via the forcan ridge - I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread a year or two ago. I did it with my Dad, who has done most of the well known ridges, and he said he enjoyed that one better than most. I'm a decent scrambler, and I enjoyed it too, as it was quite challenging technically without ever getting towards teh point of being dangerous.

The Devil's ridge in the Mamores is OK as well - it gives a decent view and it's narrow although isn't difficult at all. There's also some fairly easy ridges in teh Black Mount group (Creise and peaks beside it, just beside Glen Etive, on the left of the A82 as you turn left towards Glen Coe) that are reasonably narrow and worth a walk. Liathach is an experience, but definitely don't go over the pinnacles if it's even slightly windy. Someone once described it as the only place in Scotland where you are reminded of your mortality with every step - and it's quite right! If you decide to take the traverse path slightly below the crest, be aware taht it is quite tricky in parts as well, crossing some dangerous wee gullies.

By the way Fudge, I just remembered that we said ages ago we might try to get a walk somewhere, back in June I think it was - needless to say, I completely forgot! I'm in the US until December, but if you (or anyone else) fancy doing something a bit scrambly towards the spring, we can maybe sort something out.

I found Ben Ledi a real struggle too. But I was suffering for a stinking cold at the time. I probably shouldnt have tried to do it that day. But I survived. It was horrible though.

• 1 month later...
I'm looking to pick out approx 10 classic ridge walks in Scotland to do on a wee jaunt next summer.

So far I've got

Beinn Alligin (Torridon)

Liathach (Torridon)

An Teallach (Torridon)

Beinn Eighe (Torridon)

Cullins Ridge (Skye)

5 sisters of Kintail

Suilven and Stac Polly are well worth doing. A bit to the north from where you are going but if time allows Stac Polly could be done in a few hours. Well worth the effort. Assynt is a wonderful area for hills.

im new to all of this, never been hillwalking in my puff but really want to.

do all these recognised mountains have clear paths? i dont want to find myself rock climbing as Fudge described.

Spent the summer backpacking and realised i enjoy walking, good wee work out too.I know its different from hills but it got me interested in the subject.

I recently moved to Blairgowrie from lovely Airdrie and im clueless, so someone help me? THe cairngorns ive drove by near my house...are they ideal for newcomers? or harder for more experienced walkers?

going to begin by doing the Cateran trail around the blairgowrie area, 64 miles all round and 15 miles a day, think ill do one stage and see how i get on.

any advice would be great

I live Blairgowrie as well & their are plenty hills in the area to get you started. The Angus glens are good. Loch Brandy circuit, Mayer & Dreish up Glen Clova. A little to the north you`ve got Deeside & good walks up Lochnagar & the higher Cairngorms. Over at Pitlochry you`ve got Ben Vrackie which is a bit easier & also Schiehallion which is a little dull, but has great views & is a straightforward climb.

So far I've got

Beinn Alligin (Torridon)

Liathach (Torridon)

An Teallach (Torridon)

Beinn Eighe (Torridon)

Cullins Ridge (Skye)

5 sisters of Kintail

The Rum Cuillin is an absolute classic. Takes a bit of getting to, but well worth the effort. Likewise Ladhar Bheinn on Knoydart. It`s an epic 9 hr day out & back from Inverie, but a true classic if you get the weather.

Suilven and Stac Polly are well worth doing. A bit to the north from where you are going but if time allows Stac Polly could be done in a few hours. Well worth the effort. Assynt is a wonderful area for hills.

I prefer Canisp to Suilven, mainly becuase once you get to the top you're looking down on it. It's closer to the main road too so you also don't need to walk miles just to get to the bottom. The Conival-Ben More Assynt walk's good as well but you get to see some caves etc during the longish walk there instead of just blanket bog and an overated waterfall.

• 1 month later...

There doesn't seem to have been too much activity on this recently!

Having recently got back from the land of flatness I made it out for a couple of short walks in the snow over the last week. A wee wander over a couple of the tops in the Pentlands last week was much harder than normal due to fresh snow making the path invisible, and ploughing through some pretty deep stuff. Yesterday I was up Ben Cleuch in the Ochils and it was certainly a bit icy. I hadn't expected it really, thinking it would be more a case of hard packed snow rather than solid sheet ice. Without crampons, the only bit that is normally slightly tricky, down to the last crossing of the burn then steeply up the other side for those who know it, looked a bit too dangerous and so we just went up the other way, on the hills to the right of the main route. It's a hill I've climbed many times, but every time in the last few years has had some weather condition that's made it quite tricky. We ended up not making it to the top as it was a bit slow higher up, again due to deep snow, and we didn't have too much daylight left, but that really was a very nice view down over the Forth, with everything completely frozen down on the low ground below.

Every year I mean to do more in winter and head for hills a bit different from the local ones, but my problem is that I can never be bothered getting up dead early to drive in darkness for a couple of hours, hoping it'll be OK for first daylight. Does anyone have any suggestions for decent winter walks? I know Dreish and Mayer up Glen Doll are quite popular and indeed I've been up that way once in December, but are there any others in other areas that folk would reccommend at this time of year?

• 1 month later...