Middleton Mouse

Hillwalking Thread

Did you do it from the rest and be thankful side? Or up past Narnain and The Cobbler? It's quite a dull hill doing it after Narnain. I think I will go back and do it from the R&BT side as it looks a better climb.

Finally did Ben Vane a couple of weekends ago and quite enjoyed it. It was the day when there was a lot of thunderstorms in the North Glasgow area. We missed them up the hill but we got stuck for hours on the A82 coming through Dumbarton. Dreadful road.

Did it from Succoth/Cobbler side, it was quite dull but I couldn't see anything beyond fifty yards.

I couldn't believe how busy the Cobbler was, there was a 'traffic jam' of people at one stage.

Might go back and do it and Narnairn on a quieter weekday.

Guest Salmo Salar

Stuc a Chroin from Ben Vorlich. Braw!

post-11036-1246204546_thumb.jpg

Edited by Salmo Salar

I might be right in thinking this is my first contribution to this thread in over a year, which shows you that my boots have been sitting there gathering stoor.

Climbed Ben Vane ealier today. 4 of us were intending to do Ben Lomond but 2 dropped out. Because me and my mate are more experienced climbers than the other 2 we decided to climb somewhere else. Looking back it wasn't too challenging, but not easy so it was a happy medium. We went up fairly early this morning so it was cooler. I felt sorry for the poor sods climbing the hill when we were coming down in the midday sun :lol:

I'm sunburnt, very tired and my feet are sore. But I had fun :)

Can anyone suggest 2 days worth pf walking around the Fort William area, preferably within 30 mins drive of Fort William itself.

I'm looking for interesting walks with a bit or variety which should last about 5-6 hours. Cheers

Can anyone suggest 2 days worth pf walking around the Fort William area, preferably within 30 mins drive of Fort William itself.

I'm looking for interesting walks with a bit or variety which should last about 5-6 hours. Cheers

Try asking on Scottish Hills or Walk Highlands, they'll help you out.

Just back from 3 days up north, staying at my wife's pal's house in Inverness.

Saturday - stopped on the way up at Glenmore, just beyond Aviemore. Climbed Bynack More - a knackering start with 20k all in by the time I got back to the car. At the summit I was shattered and gave up on the idea of going to see the "barns of Bynack" - and took a photo from where I was.

Sunday - headed north to climb Ben Wyvis. It is a great hill with a fine path and excellent ridge walk. The calmest summit ever, which unfortunately meant midges and a couple of wasps.

Today - On the way back down the A9 I went to Aviemore again and ascended Cairn Gorm. My route was a tricky one, involving endlessly scrambling up the boulders of the west side of the Fiacaill a' Choire Chais ridge. Briefly mistook the ridge's cairn for the summit, but clicked when I realised there ought to have been a radio mast (this was my only drizzly outing and visibility was very poor). There are loads of cairns leading off the summit back towards the restaurant.

I did Ben Chonzie on Sunday (it was as shit as I remember - took about 2 hrs 50mins) just to get my hillwalking fitness back up to scratch as I'm going away walking next week.

I'd go for a good 5 or 6 hour walk in the Ochils on Wed or Thur just to get me up to full speed

The schedule will be......

Bidean Nam Bian and Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Buachaille Etive More

Stob Ban and Mullach nan Coirean

Kinlochleven to Fort William along the WHW

need some quick advice .

Think ill jump on a bus to milngavie tomorrow and do the west highland way .

Completely unprepared , just throwing some stuff into a bag right now. Dont even have a map yet.

Is it possible to complete it in 4 days?

I want to get back in time for the Raith game

need some quick advice .

Think ill jump on a bus to milngavie tomorrow and do the west highland way .

Completely unprepared , just throwing some stuff into a bag right now. Dont even have a map yet.

Is it possible to complete it in 4 days?

I want to get back in time for the Raith game

It is possible to do it in 4 days, but it's pretty pointless. It would just be an unrelenting slog for 10 hours a day and I doubt you'd enjoy it.

Milngavie to Balmaha is rubbish anyway, so if you can, just start at Balmaha and you'll reach Fort William in your time schedule. From Crianlarich onwards is by far the best section.

Whats a good hill to go up in the Ochils? Me and a few mates fancy this just for something to do.

Edited by frazzyAKL

Whats a good hill to go up in the Ochils? Me and a few mates fancy this just for something to do.

I've got a good wee booked with loads of different walks in the Ochils. I'll give you it next Saturday at the game

Just discovered that this photo I took today on the slopes of Cairn Gorm -

post-448-1249931928_thumb.jpg

- shows a few of the only herd of Reindeer on the British Isles.

How cool is that! :)

Buachaille Etive More

Did this the other week, was a good days walk, some scrambling involved getting on and off the ridge. The path from the Lairig Gartain to the road is very boggy, probably best to have a change of trousers if you're walking that way. Also saw plenty deer and a couple hares.

I've got a good wee booked with loads of different walks in the Ochils. I'll give you it next Saturday at the game

Cheers mate! :D

Going to the Ochils tomorrow. Starting at Dollar Glen, going up past Castle Campbell to do King's Seat Hill, Tarmangie Hill and Whitewisp Hill then back down through Dollar Glen.

started the southern uplands last monday .. was picked up on the tuesday at longformacus

besides the fact i was bored out my tits , the amount of times i found myself going down a huge fucking hill , to climb another one was ridiculous. so much my hip was fucked :(:(

so if your looking for a long distance walk . definitely the west highland way , ive heard that the great glen way is also amzing , not tried it yet but ....

Has anyone done Ben Bhuidhe in the Trossachs? Looks like the walk is is very long so I was thinking of camping out the night before. Not going to get many hills done this year but this one I did fancy but think I'd need to have a very early start (either camp or leave at about 4am).