Hillwalking Thread

Guest Ally's honest man

Thinking of bounding about some hills on my free weekends. Any ideas on some EASY walks to get me started. Stay in Ayrshire so close by would be good.

Ta in advance

A friend and I are trying to do a wee bit of a hill-type walk evey week, not anything too serious. Last week we went to Alva Gorge, some petty imence waterfalls and a good view of..... Grangemouth.

post-8280-1223925748_thumb.jpg

post-8280-1223925728_thumb.jpg

After brief chat with my friend we're heading back to Arrochar this coming Sunday to do Ben Ime and or Narnain if anyone fancies joining us. Both of them look pretty easy but looks like it might be a long day.

Don't go!

I'm going to Ben Vane on sunday so it's bound to be horrible weather and you'll get no views at the top. :P

Don't go!

I'm going to Ben Vane on sunday so it's bound to be horrible weather and you'll get no views at the top. :P

:lol:

We've done Ben Vane, The Cobbler and Ben Lomond so we're not too worried about visibility.

Good luck on Ben Vane, that was the hardest and least enjoyable walk I've done so far. Views are ace at the top though if you get there. :P

:lol:

We've done Ben Vane, The Cobbler and Ben Lomond so we're not too worried about visibility.

Good luck on Ben Vane, that was the hardest and least enjoyable walk I've done so far. Views are ace at the top though if you get there. :P

Well it wont be any worse than Ben Vorlich across the glen from it. That was an absolutely brutal hill. Especially the way we tackled it :lol:

We seem to make a complete arse of ourselves no matter what hill we tackle. If there's a stupid ridiculous an difficult way to do it then that's the way we inevitably do it.

I am fed up climbing almost vertically while knee deep in sphagnum moss. Its good for the thighs though :P

On Monday I did Meall nan Tarmachan (up near the Ben Lawers group).

A cracking hill - it was blowing a gale at times and the rain was on for pretty much the whole of the ascent, but it cleared on the way down.

I will definitely be back on a better day to do the whole ridge.

Edit - Mousey, your "Ben Vane??" photo looks more like Ben Vorlich. Ben Vane may be hidden by Beinn Ime from where you were.

Have done the Cobbler scramble (on my first attempt - once through the needle there was no going back). If you found that ok you ought to take the scramble path up the Stuc a' Chroin. Another good scramble is the gully beyond Hart Fell spa.

Edited by AyrshireTon

Edit - Mousey, your "Ben Vane??" photo looks more like Ben Vorlich. Ben Vane may be hidden by Beinn Ime from where you were.

Is it? we saw another hill beyond that one that looked more like the photos of Ben Vorlich (it was more humpy). Couldn't see A Chrois from where we were though so you're probably right.

Hopefully I'll get to the top of Ben Ime soon but it's heavy rain forecast for Sunday so it may need to wait until another day. :(

I'm really looking forward to doing Stuc a Chroin but I'm trying to hang fire until my original walking buddy can go with me. It seems like an age ago when he took me up my first hill (Ben Ledi). We sat on the top and looked across to the Cobbler and he told me he wouldn't take me up that one anytime soon because it was too dangerous. Now I've done it and he hasn't. :lol:

I absolutely never learn my lesson with regards to weather. The highlight of my stupidity was standing about 2 feet of snow at the top of Ben Ledi in shorts.

My original walking buddy's cousin had to be air lifted off of Ben Lomond (Ben lomond :lol: ) when he decided to walk up in shorts too. It was blazing sunshine down the bottom (Ben Lomond :lol: ) but at the top it was freezing and he didn't have a fleece or anything (Ben Lomond hahaha).

Heh :lol:

Is it? we saw another hill beyond that one that looked more like the photos of Ben Vorlich (it was more humpy). Couldn't see A Chrois from where we were though so you're probably right.

Actually, it probably is Ben Vane - it's a little deceptive because the pic is not the traditional Sloy Road one which makes it look like some sort of pudding.

A Chrois would definitely be hidden behind Beinn Narnain, if looked for from the Cobbler.

I've just checked my own "Cobbler" folder and my Vane seems to match yours. ;)

I did wonder but then I'm not usually very good at picking out other hills without a map. I wonder how Reynard's getting on in the wind and rain. It's horrible here in Falkirk I hate to think what it's like in the hills! :lol:

I didn't go. :lol:

I got texts all afternoon from the guys I go walking with. But I know fine they are sitting in The Drovers with a pint watching the fitba. They are stupid if they went up there in that weather. It was to be over 100mph at the summit.