Hillwalking Thread

6 hours ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

I haven't been out on a hill for ages (well Conachcraig a couple of weeks back but we mountain biked to the bealach within about 10 minutes of the summit). I had loose plans for a long, long weekend next weekend however another absolutely gubbins forecast looks like wrecking that. However should it miraculously improve I'll be getting the first ferry from Oban to Craignure to drive round to Ben More then try to catch the early afternoon ferry from Tobermory to Kilchoan, and hopefully camp on Ben Hiant. I'll basically need to run down Ben More to make it in time but it'll be worth it to avoid pitching a tent in the dark which is always absolutely shite. After that, Garbh Bheinn on the way to Ardgour and across to Corran for an annual hillwalking group piss up/weekend. 

Plan B is drive across to Corran on Friday afternoon then spend all weekend eating and drinking. 

Don't underestimate how long it takes to get to Tob from Ben More - doesn't look long on the map, but based on long experience (my Mrs is from Mull), it takes forever. Garbh Bheinn is on my Nice Day list.

Also - Benjamin Nevis? :lol:

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

Don't underestimate how long it takes to get to Tob from Ben More - doesn't look long on the map, but based on long experience (my Mrs is from Mull), it takes forever. Garbh Bheinn is on my Nice Day list.

Also - Benjamin Nevis? :lol:

Fancied a name change. It's been a while 😂

I expect the single track road to Tobermory will be hell so I've given myself 3.5 hours to get up and down Ben More 😂

The forecast looks utter shite though, so plan B beckons 

I see there is the hillwalking equivalent of culture wars happening - albeit in a very small way. The guy who jointly defined the list of Grahams (hills between 2000 and 2500 feet that includes stuff like Stac Pollaidh, Suilven and Tinto) has unilaterally decided to turn "his" list Metric - so it's now 600m instead of 2000ft(610m) which means that 12 new hills are on the list as of yesterday.

Amusingly, Walkhighlands still uses the imperial list and now calls them "Fionas" after the other person who defined the original list in the 90's (because the guy is asserting copyright on his list).

I'm sure people will get massively bent out of shape about this but outside of a few very popular ones like I just mentioned, these are the least popular category of "big" mountain - most are only climbed by hill bagging fanatics* (I think only a couple of hundred people have done them all as opposed to 7000+ who have done the Munros) and so this will affect a tiny number of people. 

*I'll admit that I climbed the two least visited Grahams during this mad expedition a couple of years back :)

• 2 weeks later...

Atmospheric day in the Highlands today - I had a last day of holiday to take, so went for a midweek bonus walk and did a couple of Corbetts in Glen Orchy. I always forget how great an area this is - the views today contained some of my favourite hills - Cruachan Horseshoe, Black Corries, Ben Lui, Ben More/Stob Binnein (looking particularly nice) and a great view down to Bridge of Orchy and beyond.

PXL_20221130_093212969-2.thumb.jpg.3008c9b29b9db3195b6561f9822e2f00.jpg

PXL_20221130_093153282.thumb.jpg.97781a1911315693e20f5a4120dff753.jpg

PXL_20221130_112405327.thumb.jpg.f6a1a1192543abc2972cf0817b736b41.jpg

PXL_20221130_114037527.thumb.jpg.2389e0611b89f51342483d343664f3ed.jpg

PXL_20221130_114047031.thumb.jpg.3444a6a940cefe3c1cd6448bed203042.jpg

Edited by Swello

On 22/11/2022 at 10:40, Swello said:

I see there is the hillwalking equivalent of culture wars happening - albeit in a very small way. The guy who jointly defined the list of Grahams (hills between 2000 and 2500 feet that includes stuff like Stac Pollaidh, Suilven and Tinto) has unilaterally decided to turn "his" list Metric - so it's now 600m instead of 2000ft(610m) which means that 12 new hills are on the list as of yesterday.

Amusingly, Walkhighlands still uses the imperial list and now calls them "Fionas" after the other person who defined the original list in the 90's (because the guy is asserting copyright on his list).

I'm sure people will get massively bent out of shape about this but outside of a few very popular ones like I just mentioned, these are the least popular category of "big" mountain - most are only climbed by hill bagging fanatics* (I think only a couple of hundred people have done them all as opposed to 7000+ who have done the Munros) and so this will affect a tiny number of people. 

*I'll admit that I climbed the two least visited Grahams during this mad expedition a couple of years back :)

It'd even weirder than that. The lower end definition is now metric but he had to leave the upper end imperial to avoid messing with the Corbetts. Thankfully having experienced a couple of Grahams, doing the lot is going to be absolutely irrelevant to me 😂 

2 hours ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

Shite weather canned my plans for trips to Mull and the far north over the last two weeks, so I ended up repeating Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin as my mate hadn't done them and I saw f**k all from them last time. Needless to say: 

PXL_20221204_103550140.jpg

PXL_20221204_120449637.jpg

At least you got the first snow pics of the year on here :)

11 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

Gorton Bothy up by Bridge of Orchy on Saturday.20221203_115747.thumb.jpg.f009e06d2baad4213337d7823997fb13.jpg

Looking a bit rougher outside than I remember it - decent basic bothy that one and not an overcrowded nightmare considering how easy it is to get to.

15 hours ago, Swello said:

Looking a bit rougher outside than I remember it - decent basic bothy that one and not an overcrowded nightmare considering how easy it is to get to.

Yeah.

Only three of us there when we went.  Did meet 6 guys all heading there as we made our way back to car, including one on a bike with a guitar strapped to his back.   They all asked if anybody there as think they had been hoping for the place to themselves.

20 hours ago, Swello said:

It's not bad. The fire isn't the best mind you. 

5 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

Never noticed the floor, only popped my head round the door of spare room...maybe not a bad thing.but sound of it.

PXL_20221124_190422617.jpg

PXL_20221124_190449254.jpg

😂

Edited by Benjamin_Nevis

Yesterday was fun. Completely underestimated potential snowfall, so a planned winter romp around Mayar and Driesh turned into an exhausting slow walk through thigh deep snow which I binned under Corrie Fee's headwall. Cracking winter scenes though. It's been so long since a snowy epic I'd forgotten how exhausting the really deep stuff is. As an added bonus I fell about three times going straight through deep snow into drainage bars, the last of which elicited a quite tremendous f**k OFF which echoed beautifully around the corrie and carried particularly well to the two folk that were just round the other side of a big moraine. Great.

Normally I'd get round Mayar and Driesh in easily under 4 hours. It took that long just to get up to the back of Corrie Fee and back today 😂

Corrie Fee Winter-6.jpg

Corrie Fee Winter-4.jpg