Hillwalking Thread

With a few exceptions I hate everything accessible from Glen Dochart  and Glen Spean and all in between. 

The only pair I have to do there now are the Beinn Sheasgairneach two and today has really depressed me about the idea of them. 

I might end up the only person ever to compleat there. 

48 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

With a few exceptions I hate everything accessible from Glen Dochart  and Glen Spean and all in between. 

The only pair I have to do there now are the Beinn Sheasgairneach two and today has really depressed me about the idea of them. 

I might end up the only person ever to compleat there. 

I won't lie, Heasgairnich is absolutely shit, although in fairness I thought Creag Mhor was a decent hill. I tried to be clever, and biked along to the north side from the Lyon dam. This cut the walking mileage down to a mere 7 miles or so. My cunning plan unravelled when Creag Mhor's "winter coat" turned out to be slush covering bog until about 600m, the rest of the walk to the summit was decent with fine views, however a shite descent, boggy bealach and horrific gradient of shitey tussocky grass up Sron Tarbh until I found the path was dire and by the time I summited I was fucked. The descent north was pleasant for about 20 minutes then became pretty tortuous. By the time I got to the bike I was too knackered to make decent time back to the van. Absolute hell. 

So basically all approaches are fucking shite. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/06/2022 at 13:09, Central Belt Caley said:

Went up Ben Vane yesterday morning and was treated to some cracking views at the top. 02C80DFC-9660-4C88-B7B7-B1D46A345EC5.thumb.jpeg.1e1f76fcd0144561b0cc6f5f6ee19e96.jpeg

Legs are in bits today though, might only be 915m but defo packs a punch for a novice like me 😂

I’ve climbed Vane a good few times as it’s one of the closest for me. The first time I done it I was ready to turn back, every time you got over a steep section expecting to see the summit, another even larger steep section appeared behind it. A very enjoyable hill though and I’ve grown to love the couple of wee scrambly sections near the top. They do say that despite it being one of the smaller munros it’s one of the most challenging. 

Me and a friend went and done The Cobbler last week, another one that’s quite local although this was my first time up it. Had planned to do it a few years ago alongside Narnain and Ime but ended up bypassing it. 

62F575F2-3A44-42C6-8996-32D4CEC46D2A.thumb.jpeg.b6866622a184e68e2b4a3a1bf3a13f29.jpeg

Was a slightly more difficult climb than I imagined it to be just because of how popular it is. The final 100 metres or so is quite steep but the summit is in sight by that point. The zig zag path that starts and ends that route is the only downside, it’s like a never ending optical illusion where you think the next corner is going to be the last, but you end up walking for another 25 minutes. 

Spent 4 days camping and hiking in the Yosemite valley. Probably the most spectacular place I’ve ever been, photos don’t do it justice. 

34B3D33C-2D7B-4288-9313-3DB166984DA8.jpeg

A2D41BE1-D21F-4470-B1AC-5E8D159253E6.jpeg

E33A1FD3-96FF-4824-B2BF-D5D6D6F0DAA5.jpeg

D2BB9870-0BAE-4D74-81B3-FDB56E50119C.jpeg

CA251706-0015-45F3-9C47-1C058DE1C5B6.jpeg

B0D13D59-482F-4C7A-8E8B-86B7312D0348.jpeg

Edited by MONKMAN

11 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Is that El Capitan in the night time pic? 

The Movie Free Solo is well worth a watch for anyone yet to see it.

Yeah, it is. I spent hours just sitting watching El Cap. The climbers ascending the wall, look like tiny ants. Then at night, the wall lights up with their torches. Standing at the base of the wall and looking up, it defies belief that humans can climb it. 

40655909-7323-414B-9404-31E400842CF8.jpeg

975B202C-A5B0-45CD-9198-42D2286CB6CB.jpeg

4 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Yeah, it is. I spent hours just sitting watching El Cap. The climbers ascending the wall, look like tiny ants. Then at night, the wall lights up with their torches. Standing at the base of the wall and looking up, it defies belief that humans can climb it. 

Aye it's crazy. It's on my bucketlist to see it too. My palms were sweaty just watching the movie.

Ever known anyone to enjoy Beinn Sheasgarnaich ? Well you have now.

Made a decision long ago that the Creag Mhòr round and peat bog exit wasn't happening so decided to pick this off from Loch Lyon up the NE ridge after crossing the Allt Chall.

Steep as f**k but bone dry easy terrain. Loch Lyon is a really nice spot. More like being beside Mullardoch or Affric than Perthshire.

Back to the car in 6 hours with dry feet, nice drive down a sunny Glen Lyon for chips in Dunkeld. 

20220619_152228.jpg

20220619_140747.jpg

8 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Ever known anyone to enjoy Beinn Sheasgarnaich ? Well you have now.

Made a decision long ago that the Creag Mhòr round and peat bog exit wasn't happening so decided to pick this off from Loch Lyon up the NE ridge after crossing the Allt Chall.

Steep as f**k but bone dry easy terrain. Loch Lyon is a really nice spot. More like being beside Mullardoch or Affric than Perthshire.

Back to the car in 6 hours with dry feet, nice drive down a sunny Glen Lyon for chips in Dunkeld. 

20220619_152228.jpg

20220619_140747.jpg

I enjoyed that walk - but it was nice snow conditions and I didn't go through the peat bog. Did wonder what it would be like from Glen Lyon - so now I know :)

7 minutes ago, Swello said:

I enjoyed that walk - but it was nice snow conditions and I didn't go through the peat bog. Did wonder what it would be like from Glen Lyon - so now I know :)

Whilst it would be a big day I reckon the whole round from Glen Lyon would be a good day out and no bigger a day than the alternative 

Looking for some advice from the more experienced hillwalkers on here. I got speaking to a chap on Ben Vane a couple weeks back and mentioned to him I fancied doing Ben Nevis this year. He said if I was gonna do it go the CMD Arete route and that it wasn’t too bad in terms of difficulty, but I always like a 2nd opinion.

Anyone done this route and is it difficult? (Done 5 munros and still a relative novice) 

In summer conditions it's a piece of piss (technically) Its a big day out and a steep slog to Càrn Mòr Dearg from Coire Leis. The steep slog can be avoided by starting from the climbers car park at the North Face car park but still a big day.

With snow lying it's a different issue but between now and October I wouldn't anticipate any difficulties.

If you do get a bit of vertigo it's easy to leave the main ridge and keep left to avoid big drops to the right. For me it's more of a Coire headwall than a real ridge or arete.

Have done it 3 times but the first time I maybe had 10 munros under my belt

Definitely go for it. Its absolutely the best way to experience the Ben 

Edited by invergowrie arab

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

In summer conditions it's a piece of piss (technically) Its a big day out and a steep slog to Càrn Mòr Dearg from Coire Leis. The steep slog can be avoided by starting from the climbers car park at the North Face car park but still a big day.

With snow lying it's a different issue but between now and October I wouldn't anticipate any difficulties.

If you do get a bit of vertigo it's easy to leave the main ridge and keep left to avoid big drops to the right. For me it's more of a Coire headwall than a real ridge or arete.

Have done it 3 times but the first time I maybe had 10 munros under my belt

Definitely go for it. Its absolutely the best way to experience the Ben 

Top man, appreciate it! Think we’ll definitely head up this route up 

32 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Has anyone done Binnein Beag in the Mamores from the Steall Meadows "path"? I expect some bog and pathless shite, just not sure how bad ...

I want an answer to this too.

I missed it out from Kinlocheleven as I couldn't be fucked and I have regretted it ever since